Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol. Some fine exaggerating here.

Delusional fan base.

Lovely listening to the talk back radio. Even their comments on here are comical to say the least.
Go listen to Voss' presser, it's any wonder their supporters think they are indeed the reigning premiers.

Collingwood a great chance to send them to 5-3 and back down to eighth spot in the blink of an eye.

Umpires did very well today. An agenda to let the play flow on and weren’t hot on htb for either team. The game was won in the coaches box
I don't see how coaching really had an effect on this game. Cats were very good, converted well and took their chances.
66 to 45 inside 50s for a 45.5% and 62.2% conversion rates tell the majority of the story.
44 hitouts to 34.
44 clearances to 38.
24 tackles inside 50 to 8.

Most other categories were fairly even.
Overall tackles, marks, time in possession, turnovers, intercepts, disposals, disp efficiency.

Delusional fan base.

Lovely listening to the talk back radio. Even their comments on here are comical to say the least.
Go listen to Voss' presser, it's any wonder their supporters think they are indeed the reigning premiers.

Collingwood a great chance to send them to 5-3 and back down to eighth spot in the blink of an eye.
They are the reigning semi-final winners.

That's the equivalent of a Carlton premiership these days, so you can understand the excitement.

This is one of the cringiest posts on bigfooty. Congratulations.
You're entitled to that opinion. I have no issue with that.
Personally I think that certain Freo posters frequenting and troll posting Carlton related threads 3 weeks after (and constantly in between) their loss to us, is WAY more cringe, but to each their own.

Delusional fan base.

Voss is keeping supporters onside.

The messaging will be very different behind closed doors.

I don't see how coaching really had an effect on this game. Cats were very good, converted well and took their chances.
66 to 45 inside 50s for a 45.5% and 62.2% conversion rates tell the majority of the story.
44 hitouts to 34.
44 clearances to 38.
24 tackles inside 50 to 8.

Most other categories were fairly even.
Overall tackles, marks, time in possession, turnovers, intercepts, disposals, disp efficiency.
Carlton have a focus on contested footy then lock it inside fifty. Geelong have a focus on defending higher up the ground than sling shot it into forward fifty.

Hence the extra forward fifties and lower conversion rate for Carlton compared to geelong and the tackle rates also inside fifty.

Docherty is already out for the year and at his age, coming off a 4th? ACL, he probably finds it difficult to ever get back.
I know it sucks but I'm talking about the ins to come in before this years finals.

I just don't see much upside with those ins. Cerra and Saad will help but the others are the very epitome of depth.
McGovern is improved but again, I would honestly tell you Geelong have a player in the VFL who would be capable of performing to a similar level in his first season and that's not over exaggerating things either.

Your VFL team got smashed today by 100 points. Nothing at all coming through.

Feels like your supporters are using the injury excuse to build up your team to something they aren't.
We have like 13 players on the injury list. The VFL side is severely depleted. We had zero players with AFL games under their belts and maybe half a dozen AFL listed players.
You guys have like 4 on your injured list.
Ideally, we'd have Binns, Carroll, Young, Cowan, Sam Durdin, Fantasia, Cincotta, Cuningham, Marchbank and on some weeks Pitto, Silvagni, one or two of Motlop/Durdin/Owies playing in the VFL.

Binns, Carroll, Young, Cowan, Durdin and Owies were playing AFL. S. Durdin, Fantasia and Cincotta were emergencies.
Teams don't have infinite depth.

Yes but there seems to be a lot of "If the umps paid this" and "If we kicked straight..."

Realistically, whilst I felt Carlton were stiff from the umps, despite the differential, realistically they kicked themselves out of it by missing gettable goals and robbing themselves of momentum. That's all there is to it.
You've just complained about 2 things that apparently there's a lot of complaining about, then literally agreed with those 2 things.

We have like 13 players on the injury list. The VFL side is severely depleted. We had zero players with AFL games under their belts and maybe half a dozen AFL listed players.
You guys have like 4 on your injured list.
Ideally, we'd have Binns, Carroll, Young, Cowan, Sam Durdin, Fantasia, Cincotta, Cuningham, Marchbank and on some weeks Pitto, Silvagni, one or two of Motlop/Durdin/Owies playing in the VFL.

Binns, Carroll, Young, Cowan, Durdin and Owies were playing AFL. S. Durdin, Fantasia and Cincotta were emergencies.
Teams don't have infinite depth.
The only ones who will make any difference are cerra and saad. Marchbank McGovern Martin are ok but not going to put a dent and are horses for courses. The rest of those names would be VFL at geelong tbh. I am not even sure McGovern or jack martin would be in the geelong 22.

You've just complained about 2 things that apparently there's a lot of complaining about, then literally agreed with those 2 things.
I still think the point remains that a far more fitting domain name for this site would be:

"We would've won if".com

This is what 90% of BigFooty members use the site for. The other 10% chat footy.

Atkins torched them down the back when he came on

Extremely underrated and important player. And this talk about the inside 50 count is nonsense. Have people not paid any attention whatsoever to how Geelong have played this year. I haven't given a sh!t about the inside 50 count since our 2016 PF v Sydney. We won the count 72-40 btw yet managed to lose by 37 and spent parts of the game 50 points down. Bad goal kicking and or sh!t entries is bad football. We have learned that in finals ourselves.

Last edited:
The point was that all the sooking about the umpiring is baseless when Carlton received more free kicks …can’t claim that less free kicks influences the outcome better than recieving more free kicks on the umpiring conspiracy victim rants
It was a bit of a pointless point then, as free kick counts literally mean jack s**t.
Anyone who uses a free kick count as an excuse or as a stat to prove a point is batting from behind the stumps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a bit of a pointless point then, as free kick counts literally mean jack s**t.
Anyone who uses a free kick count as an excuse or as a stat to prove a point is batting from behind the stumps.
Well unless you spend a few hours giving an unbiased review of every single decision and non-decision throughout the game (there are hundreds) to form a conclusion after the heat of battle you are also giving just as pointless of an account. And no, not attempting to fumble with the remote while you are blind drunk.

I'm sure you would happily pick and choose your favourite 10 incidents from the game while ignoring another 20. To then decide in the grand scheme of things this swung the result of a game that only got within 3 goals from a few consolation efforts, is highly flawed to say the least.

So it might be time to stop pretending you are the grand overseer with an impartial view of how the umpiring unfolded. And accept that Carlton were simply beaten by a better, more efficient side on the day.

oh Jesus you’d didn’t just bring that out did you?
I thought that would be done after beating your lot?

Who ELSE do we have to beat to be taken seriously?
If ANY other team was 7-0 they’d be heralded as Premiership contenders.

Everyone said Brisbane was our challenge, and then Carlton would knock us off.
Don't be so sensitive. I literally said apart from tonight. You can only beat who's in front of you, but it doesn't mean they're quality wins that tell you much about form.
I also put question marks on both sides (my own), while adding others into the mix, in response to us being the clear faves.

It was simply pointing out that there are more than 2 faves and the two listed aren't without flaws.
If my team was 7-0 I wouldn't give a s**t what others thought, but would probably agree with the assessment. It's not a big deal.

Stop bleating about free kicks then. Carlton didn't lose the game because of missed free kicks or free kicks given. There were a lot of missed calls today for both sides. The umpires seemed very reluctant to pay any HTB.

Carlton lost because they missed early chances, which would have been crucial for setting the tone of the game. Despite outplaying us in general play early they didn't convert. That's not bad luck. It's bad football. Both sides went through periods were they seemed out of legs and gave up a string of goals, but the Cats were able to hammer on more and defended better when Carlton had their run-ons.

Carlton are improving but still a work in progress. Don't think it's their time yet. Nice to see their supporters showing up for games now though. Good for them.
Firstly, since you seem to be struggling to comprehend the post you are replying to, I'm talking about the free kick counts being useless in determining anything.
That doesn't mean that individual incidents can't be discussed.

Secondly, I have stated multiple times that umpiring wasn't the reason we lost and that conversion and poor field kicking were at the heart of it.

Thirdly, I never mentioned anything about bad luck.

Fourthly, none of the above precludes me from discussing the umpiring in general, or specific incidents, without making them excuses.

conversion and poor field kicking were at the heart of it.
Subjective accounts of the umpiring are no more informative than saying one team did/didn't have more free kicks than the other. Unless you re-umpire every incident (not just the 5 or 10 that got you off your couch), it is pointless.

I have edited your post to maintain the only objective information that decided the result.

Old mate Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods is seriously spending his drunken 2-3am in front of the fireplace going through and disliking a stack comments from the match day thread.

It might be time to move on, pal. We haven't even hit dinner time in the UK yet but it's great to be able to acknowledge a wasted man's quiet protest in real time.
Not even drunk.
Time is relative.
Catching up on stuff and agreeing/disagreeing and/or commenting is kind of the whole idea of this site.
Sometimes it's just easier to dislike a comment that you disagree with, rather than reply to everything, especially when it might have been covered numerous times by others.

Not even drunk.
Time is relative.

Catching up on stuff and agreeing/disagreeing and/or commenting is kind of the whole idea of this site.
Sometimes it's just easier to dislike a comment that you disagree with, rather than reply to everything, especially when it might have been covered numerous times by others.
Believable.

It's meant to be a gorgeous sun rise in a few hours. The disagree button is the refuge of someone who is angry but has nothing of substance to say. And I don't blame you based on the past dozen posts to others.

Trawling through the depths of a match day thread to find things that don't suit your agenda this many hours after the game, suggests you haven't gotten over the result. The better side won.

Next time very well could be different.

Firstly, since you seem to be struggling to comprehend the post you are replying to, I'm talking about the free kick counts being useless in determining anything.
That doesn't mean that individual incidents can't be discussed.
If free kick counts are useless in determining anything, then surely also analysing individual calls is also useless in determining anything? We can agree that with more free kicks to add to the lop-sided count they received, it wouldn't have helped Carlton win the game, right?
We can both go over and analyse individual instances of missed free kicks or free kicks being given when similar incidents didn't earn one. You can do that for every game. Once all that is done, every even upper is given, do you think it changes the result? Or would you be more honest and say that your side lost the game because (a) they weren't mature enough to stop Geelong laying on piles of goals and (b) were unable to convert their chances when the pressure was on.

Geelong home game but crowd support was far louder for Carlton. Geelong players nailed shots with boos raining down on them like a hurricane. Carlton missed shots dead in front with not a jeer sullying their ears. You think you're winning cut-throat finals like that? Good luck. See you in September.

Believable.

It's meant to be a gorgeous sun rise in a few hours. The disagree button is the refuge of someone who is angry but has nothing of substance to say. And I don't blame you based on the past dozen posts to others.

Trawling through the depths of a match day thread to find things that don't suit your agenda this many hours after the game, suggests you haven't gotten over the result. The better side won.

Next time very well could be different.
Don't impose your own issues onto me.
The disagree button is simply I don't agree with what you said but there isn't really much to add.
Trawling through the depths? There was like 10-15 pages, which I skimmed through, while doing other things (son has mates over for his birthday, wife came home late from work, cleaning up, etc).
Not looking for anything specific in here, just reading the varied opinions on the game. Some I agree with, some I don't. It's not much deeper than that.
I've moved on from the result. I'm reasonably happy with the way we played. No result is perfect, win or lose. Doesn't mean all aspects of it can't be discussed.

I've already admitted that the better side won, but the focus is always on any mention of umpires.

If free kick counts are useless in determining anything, then surely also analysing individual calls is also useless in determining anything? We can agree that with more free kicks to add to the lop-sided count they received, it wouldn't have helped Carlton win the game, right?
We can both go over and analyse individual instances of missed free kicks or free kicks being given when similar incidents didn't earn one. You can do that for every game. Once all that is done, every even upper is given, do you think it changes the result? Or would you be more honest and say that your side lost the game because (a) they weren't mature enough to stop Geelong laying on piles of goals and (b) were unable to convert their chances when the pressure was on.

Geelong home game but crowd support was far louder for Carlton. Geelong players nailed shots with boos raining down on them like a hurricane. Carlton missed shots dead in front with not a jeer sullying their ears. You think you're winning cut-throat finals like that? Good luck. See you in September.
I already admitted to A and B a long time ago.

I'm not looking at changing any results (when has that ever happened?). I enjoy discussing umpiring inconsistencies and have a desire for them to get it right (I know it will never be 100% correct, but surely we should all hope for that?). I also discuss the umpiring in neutral games and talk about specific incidents without claiming they'd change a result.

Don't impose your own issues onto me.
The disagree button is simply I don't agree with what you said but there isn't really much to add.
Trawling through the depths? There was like 10-15 pages, which I skimmed through, while doing other things (son has mates over for his birthday, wife came home late from work, cleaning up, etc).
Not looking for anything specific in here, just reading the varied opinions on the game. Some I agree with, some I don't. It's not much deeper than that.
I've moved on from the result. I'm reasonably happy with the way we played. No result is perfect, win or lose. Doesn't mean all aspects of it can't be discussed.

I've already admitted that the better side won, but the focus is always on any mention of umpires.
Buddy boy you're being as transparent as can be, under the guise of some pseudointellectual analysis of the match. Which mostly amounted to hunting through and finding old comments to dislike, then whinging about perceived injustices and handicaps.

I have bolded the only relevant part of your post. I'm not at all convinced that you've moved on. You still haven't moved to bed.

But I'm glad you had a great day and enjoyed the game. You don't at all sound bitter or pedantic.

I already admitted to A and B a long time ago.

I'm not looking at changing any results (when has that ever happened?). I enjoy discussing umpiring inconsistencies and have a desire for them to get it right (I know it will never be 100% correct, but surely we should all hope for that?). I also discuss the umpiring in neutral games and talk about specific incidents without claiming they'd change a result.
Why is this a hobby? I don't see you staying up until 4am to discuss other games umpiring, or indeed the many many other incidents in the game that could've been adjudicated differently (and believe it or not, many did still favour Carlton). But we're to believe this is just an unbiased passion for the joy of complaining about officiating?

"Enjoy discussing the game" well how about actually discussing the exciting and interesting parts of it, rather than a miserable picking apart of adjudication and how your team were ripped off?

Back