Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong-vs-Carlton.png

1st v 4th

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 7
GEELONG V CARLTON
SATURDAY APRIL 27TH 4:35PM AEST (M.C.G.)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams
CATS

B: Z.Guthrie, S.De Koning, J.Kolodjashnij
HB: Z.Tuohy, J.Henry, M.Holmes
C: M.O’Connor, P.Dangerfield - C, M.Blicavs
HF: B.Close, J.Cameron, G.Miers
F: T.Stengle, T.Hawkins, O.Henry
FOLL: R.Stanley, C.Guthrie, T.Bruhn

I/C: O.Dempsey, B.Parfitt, J.Bowes, T.Atkins, M.Duncan
EMG: S.Neale, J.Clark, T.Conway

IN: Z.Tuohy, R.Stanley, C.Guthrie
OUT: T.Stewart (Injured), T.Conway (Omitted), J.Clark (Omitted)

BLUES
B: L.Cowan, Le.Young, B.Kemp
HB: Z.Williams, J.Weitering, N.Newman
C: O.Hollands, P.Cripps - C, B.Acres
HF: E.Hollands, H.McKay, M.Cottrell
F: M.Owies, T.De Koning, C.Curnow
FOLL: M.Pittonet, S.Walsh, G.Hewett

I/C: J.Boyd, M.Kennedy, J.Carroll, C.Durdin, O.Fantasia
EMG: J.Binns, S.Durdin, A.Cincotta
No changes

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:
I expect this will be a case of:

a) Geelong lose and are finally exposed as the pretenders everyone knew they were
b) Geelong win and it won't matter due to Carlton's absentee list

After a wet slog, it wouldn't surprise me if Geelong have an off week. Can you have an off week and beat this Carlton side? Probably not. Cripps and Walsh will certainly test our midfield. Ultimately we'll need all of our defenders, minus Stewart, to have strong games.

My head says Carlton by a couple of goals. Heart says Cats may surprise people again.

Should be a cracking game between arguably the two best teams out there at the moment.

Stewart a massive out for the Cats, he usually has a day out against us.

Waiting for teams, but at the moment leaning towards Carlton, though no result would be a surprise.

Biggest game of the season so far. I'm very excited to see how we stack up against the Cats who have been impressive.

Heart says the Blues get the job done by a goal and a bit.

a) Carlton lose and are finally exposed as the pretenders everyone knew they were
b) Carlton win and it won't matter due to Geelong's absentee

After a slog against GWS it wouldn't surprise me if Carlton have an off week. Can you have an off week and beat this Geelong side? Probably not. Cameron and <pick a player> will certainly test Carlton. Ultimately we'll need all of our defenders, minus McGovern, Saad, and possibly Williams to have strong games.

My head says Geelong by a couple of goals. Heart says Carlton may surprise people again.

JustaBattler well played. It appears the odds actually slightly agree with you.

Not too many outside of Pie land are calling the Blues pretenders though, are they? I tipped Carlton last week.

Also I am fairly sure most neutrals have forgotten Cam Guthrie ever existed. That won't be factored into the result.

The tipping looks like it's leaning the Blues way. All I expect is a close match.

No excuses for either side. Both sides missing key all Australian personel in Stewart and Guthrie for Geelong , and Adam Saad and Docherty for the Blues.
A lot of people suggesting that the Blues get lucky with Stewart missing , then forget about Carltons players who are in rehab .
Game will be won by whichever dynamic duo kick more goals. I'm a bit nervous with Young down back but in some games he does surprise, fingers crossed he doesn't get monstered again by Cameron who is the most versatile forward in the AFL.
Not going to make a prediction but praying for no injuries with a solid month coming up for both sides

No excuses for either side. Both sides missing key all Australian personel in Stewart and Guthrie for Geelong , and Adam Saad and Docherty for the Blues.
A lot of people suggesting that the Blues get lucky with Stewart missing , then forget about Carltons players who are in rehab .
Game will be won by whichever dynamic duo kick more goals. I'm a bit nervous with Young down back but in some games he does surprise, fingers crossed he doesn't get monstered again by Cameron who is the most versatile forward in the AFL.
Not going to make a prediction but praying for no injuries with a solid month coming up for both sides
Contrary to public opinion a loss for either side won't be a disaster and diminish their previous results.

It's just two decent sides meeting in front of a massive crowd to see who can keep the momentum going. Someone has to lose.

Of course if there's a smashing dished out then no matter the excuses, there will be a bit read into it.

Civil discourse between Cats and Blues supporters before, during and after the game - can we deliver the dream?

a) Geelong lose and are finally exposed as the pretenders everyone knew they were
b) Geelong win and it won't matter due to Carlton's absentee list

After a wet slog, it wouldn't surprise me if Geelong have an off week. Can you have an off week and beat this Carlton side? Probably not. Cripps and Walsh will certainly test our midfield. Ultimately we'll need all of our defenders, minus Stewart, to have strong games.

My head says Carlton by a couple of goals. Heart says Cats may surprise people again.
Oppo’s always make the mistake of looking only at Cripps/Walsh.

Hewitt having his best year yet - he’ll have another impact this week.

Our rucks had a day out last week with TDK pushing forward.

Our wings have opened up our scores from transition.

Blues midfield much more than messers Cripps & Walsh ;)

Carlton by plenty, all their injuries v 1x Stewart tells a lot about the fragility of the real estate kings backline.
The midfield will be so lopside Carlton’s way the amount of footy in their forward half will drown the cats.

Oppo’s always make the mistake of looking only at Cripps/Walsh.

Hewitt having his best year yet - he’ll have another impact this week.

Our rucks had a day out last week with TDK pushing forward.

Our wings have opened up our scores from transition.

Blues midfield much more than messers Cripps & Walsh ;)
Trust me, I know. Why do you think I haven't been too worried about Carlton's absences, unlike you guys? There's a strong and deep midfield even without Cerra, prolific on the wings and the rucks can get off the leash. Super powered key forwards on top and it remains a potent mix.

The lack of stability in defence right now is a concern but at least the gun (Weitering) is there to haul anchor. The small forwards/flankers could be considered a weakness but Geelong has allowed average smalls to get off the chain for a long time now.

Geelong have plenty of threats too though. I just worry about the defence holding up in the presence of actual superstar forwards without Stewart. In that situation last year, it was shambolic. And our midfield will be tested at least as much as the Bulldogs game; it feels like we need Guthrie more than Carlton need Cerra. But we'll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JustaBattler well played. It appears the odds actually slightly agree with you.

Not too many outside of Pie land are calling the Blues pretenders though, are they? I tipped Carlton last week.

Also I am fairly sure most neutrals have forgotten Cam Guthrie ever existed. That won't be factored into the result.

The tipping looks like it's leaning the Blues way. All I expect is a close match.
My rehash was just rhetorical debate 101.

My view is that Carlton are now rebound run less with Saad/McGovern and Williams not there so Geelong have less to concern themselves with as far as the running part of the rebound game goes. I also think that Geelong's smalls in particular have a tad more class than the inexperienced Boyd/Cowan and Kemp so that is a factor as well.

Against those negatives Carlton has Walsh the running machine back and Cripps back in excellent form - the inclusion of Pittonet has stiffened up the clearances and released TDK to an emerging useful third tall / ruck role. Geelongs younger midfield will have some work to do to cover the Carlton midfield for 4 quarters.

Cameron and Hawkins V Charlie and Harry are pretty even I would suggest.

I then put a lot of weight on Geelong's superior kicking skills and structures V Carlton's developing game style.

Geelong have the class to win it easy but might feel the absence of Stewart and his ability to plug holes and intercept mark - if Carlton win too much of the ground ball then maybe the Blues can get a win. If not Geelong will have too much firepower up front.

Will be some interesting matchups in this game.
Blues will likely have to play Weiters on Hawk, because we can't have Cameron dragging Weiters up the ground, but that leaves Young or Kemp to play on Cameron. I'd have Young play him when in F50 as he's a better spoiler, but then tell Kemp to switch any time Cameron moves outside the 50, because Kemp could hurt him offensively on the turnover. Tough balance to get right in the flow of the game though.

Who plays on Harry and Charlie? SDK probably more athletic, so possibly goes to Charlie? Blicavs likely to go back to play on Harry?
Or Jazz Knee to Charlie and SDK to Harry due to the heights?

Can Geelong surprise Carlton again with a no-name midfield?

Bruhn, Parfitt and Bowes have been excellent.

We have a very good midfield. May not have a superstar capable of turning up and averaging 28 disposals every week but it's an excellent mix of size and speed. Bowes, O'Connor, Holmes all 190cm+. Dangerfield & Blicavs two other big bodies.
Then a terrific blend of defensive-orientated players in Atkins, Parfitt and Bruhn (throw Clark in there too).

What will hurt us is the heavy legs from last weekend. Long flight back but Cats will be ready.
Not fussed about Stewart. He's a loss but De Koning, Henry, Kolodjashnij and O'Sullivan will be good enough to hold up their end of the bargain.

Trust me, I know. Why do you think I haven't been too worried about Carlton's absences, unlike you guys? There's a strong and deep midfield even without Cerra, prolific on the wings and the rucks can get off the leash. Super powered key forwards on top and it remains a potent mix.

The lack of stability in defence right now is a concern but at least the gun (Weitering) is there to haul anchor. The small forwards/flankers could be considered a weakness but Geelong has allowed average smalls to get off the chain for a long time now.

Geelong have plenty of threats too though. I just worry about the defence holding up in the presence of actual superstar forwards without Stewart. In that situation last year, it was shambolic. And our midfield will be tested at least as much as the Bulldogs game; it feels like we need Guthrie more than Carlton need Cerra. But we'll see.
It’s a hard game to read!

Cats in good nick clearly, can only beat those put forward to beat & has looked very balanced in doing so.

Blues won against GWS with 7 mins of crazy football.

We can’t bank on that every day!

Will Charlie & Harry (TDK) get off the leash - who’s going to shut down Cameron on the roam?

Two very different midfields - Walsh in has helped massively on the outside.

Suspect as usual this one will be won/lost in the middle.

Will be a ripper!

Season defining match gor both teams. Is either side a contender or pretender ?
Geelong lose they go 6-1, Carlton lose they go 5-2 - it's hardly a season defining contest. Both teams have already made it through the first 1/4 of the season just about as well as you could hope and both have some genuine A-grade players to come back in. It should be a good contest and the media will blow their load over whoever wins, but there's still a long way to go.

Back