Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 6 - Lions v Cats Sat April 20th 7:30pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So you essentially agree that Geelong haven't really beaten anyone yet, and they've had an easy draw to start the season. Which (including Brisbane at the moment), I agree with.

Nope. We won the flag in 2022 with pretty much the same nucleus as what we have now.
We looked good then and I think we are flying under the radar again.

Cameron's only booted a bag once so far. He's been pretty well down if you exclude that game. If he starts slotting his usual 3-4 goals per week, and Guthrie returns in the middle, things are looking ok.

Over 'entire game' Geelong was clearly the better side, so to say The Cats were a bit fortunate to win as they could have put us away early is just nonsense. It amazes me how so many footy followers including footy commentators think and say that, the games over 4 quarters and approximately 120 minutes and always will be and something the Brisbane Lions were very poor at Saturday night.

Over 'entire game' Geelong was clearly the better side
Kind of an arrogant statement, the scores were 15 - 0 early in the game. So to suggest Geelong were better for the entire match is quite a stretch.

Nope. We won the flag in 2022 with pretty much the same nucleus as what we have now.
We looked good then and I think we are flying under the radar again.

Cameron's only booted a bag once so far. He's been pretty well down if you exclude that game. If he starts slotting his usual 3-4 goals per week, and Guthrie returns in the middle, things are looking ok.

Still not convinced Geelong's current midfield is good enough to go all the way, but I'll accept I could be proven wrong come September. With no obvious dominate team this year (unlike Geelong in 2022) I think any of 8 sides could win it this year if they peak at the right time. Probably Brisbane's only saving grace at the moment.

Motorbike must have been at the mechanics for repair last night.
Country roads, take me home
To the place I belAAAAAAAAAAAH

crash fail GIF

Only Geelong supporters would know of the unfortunate circumstances which led to a lot of lost matches last season. It appears most neutrals ignored them and in doing so, completely write the side off.
Absurd really when you consider Stengle, Cameron, De Koning, Guthrie (ok he got injured) and Stewart is still a bloody good spine.

And I couldn't give a damn if Daniher kicked 10 goals last year in finals. You know who he reminds of, Billy Brownless.
A tremendous player on his day but if he missed the first couple of shots, he had mental issues the rest of the game. Daniher is similar.
He also possess low footy IQ. He can go pinch hit in ruck but he will often do something only a rookie will do and completely cost you a goal or two.
Always thought he'd become a much better footballer when he played at Essendon but it was evident after a few years it was never to be.

Mate it seems like a lot of what you’re saying is contradictory.

They were a kick off a premiership. Aside from actually winning it, what should they have done, finished third? Lost by more?
Don’t think there’s a point you can make in this discussion that is going to enhance your POV

Overall Geelong was clearly the better side, so to say The Cats were a bit fortunate to win as they could have put us away early is just nonsense. It amazes me how so many footy followers including footy commentators think and say that, the games over 4 quarters and approximately 120 minutes and always will be and something the Brisbane Lions were very poor at Saturday night.

Good for you. Don't agree.

Mate it seems like a lot of what you’re saying is contradictory.

They were a kick off a premiership. Aside from actually winning it, what should they have done, finished third? Lost by more?
Don’t think there’s a point you can make in this discussion that is going to enhance your POV

They simply weren't the second best team to make it last year.
GWS had a better year than them and were terribly unlucky not get through. For all the talk about Brisbane this year, they still have a one dimensional midfield, mediocre ruck stocks but a superb defense. It's really surprising how highly rated many had them. Their supporters got caught up in it, thinking their a premiership caliber team.

GWS had a better year than them and were terribly unlucky not get through. For all the talk about Brisbane this year, they still have a one dimensional midfield, mediocre ruck stocks but a superb defense. It's really surprising how highly rated many had them. Their supporters got caught up in it, thinking their a premiership caliber team.

Based on what? Having 4 less wins throughout the home and away season with an easier draw? GWS were a 13-10 team with a percentage of 107.

Yeah sorry mate, playing some good footy at the back end of the year doesn’t make that true.

Again, they were a kick off a flag. You can’t change that with any spin. They jumped every hurdle bar the very last one and that’s all that separated them from being the current premiers.

Having an opinion on their toughness or whatever is fine, we all do, but questioning their right to have been there or just blatantly more or less making something up is pretty silly

Nah, you guys are finished. You are 2-4 with GWS to come.
Still heavily reliant on Zorko and Neale and not sure they are the same players a year on from now.

All the best for the remainder of the season :)
The last time I checked there's 24 games in a season not 7. There's still time for teams to turn their season around and there's time for others to completely fall off a cliff.

Before last night we just come off beating Melbourne at the MCG, last night was a bad night in the wet. This team is absolutely capable of beating top teams when they are near their best. We have loads of talent due to come back into the side before the bye.

As for Geelong they are due to be where Hawthorn has been the last 5 years which is in rebuild land. The cats have been fortunate to contend for almost 2 decades now but rebuilding is something that happens to everyone eventually.

Last edited:
The last time I checked there's 24 games in a season not 7. There's still time for teams to turn their season around and there's time for others to completely fall off a cliff.

Before last night we just come off beating Melbourne at the MCG, last night was a bad night in the wet. This team is absolutely capable of beating top teams when they are near their best. We have loads of talent due to come back into the side before the bye.

As for Geelong they are due to be where Hawthorn has been the last 5 years which is in rebuild land. The cats have been fortunate to contend for almost 2 decades now but rebuilding is something that happens to everyone eventually.

I'm not really interested in what you think about rebuilds. Cats are going to sign up a couple of handy free agents in the coming 18 months which will yet again keep us steady for 5-7 years so say what you want about our imminent decline.

As for you guys, there is simply no more room for error. You must beat GWS next week and then continue on a little run in order just make up ground with teams vying for the finals.
Collingwood is in far better shape and still a massive threat to do damage despite only having won one more game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost to St Kilda and the Bulldogs in our last two games before this season started, Brisbane are the runners up from last year, and Adelaide were $1.40 to beat us at the Adelaide Oval in round 2.

Again, sorry for not winning 7 of our first 6 or playing them against teams we weren’t scheduled to play.
Each teams credentials are being heavily downgraded following a loss to Geelong.

We've been favourites for 3 of the 6 games, I believe.

Not sure why we were terribly overrated coming off a 4 points Grand Final loss, with a side that wasn't going to lose anyone significant coming into this year, and if anything, the defense was going to be stronger with Doedee coming in.

We've been essentially without three of our starting seven best 22 defenders (two for the rest of the year), including probably three of our best four rebounders. Take say Stewart, Holmes and Z.Guthrie out of the Geelong side for the first six rounds and I'd dare say there would be some structural issues too.
Thank God, I wasn't sure I was on BigFooty for a second until I read about an injury excuse.

Thank God, I wasn't sure I was on BigFooty for a second until I read about an injury excuse.

I mean the reasoning provided to why Brisbane were overrated despite making a Grand Final essentially amounted to "just because..." and why Geelong struggled last year was "only Geelong supporters would know of the unfortunate circumstances".

They were good last year but Collingwood weren't good on grand final day and still should've coasted to a 6 goal win from their chances.

The automatic assumption that they would contend and improve again in 2024, which I was also guilty of, is yet to be proven correct.

And like Port, their side is guilty of playing stupid football when the going gets tough and the stakes are high.

I mean the reasoning provided to why Brisbane were overrated despite making a Grand Final essentially amounted to "just because..."
You can only beat who you play, but personally I thought those Port and Carlton sides at home weren't strong finals litmus tests.

I was impressed with them giving it a hell of a shot in the grand final. My guy feeling for the past few years has been that they are a good, but not great side. If you keep knocking on the door though someone might let you in (Geelong have shown this).

You can only beat who you play, but personally I thought those Port and Carlton sides at home weren't strong finals litmus tests.

I was impressed with them giving it a hell of a shot in the grand final. My guy feeling for the past few years has been that they are a good, but not great side. If you keep knocking on the door though someone might let you in (Geelong have shown this).

On exposed form, it's hard to argue with this.

We roll 8 players through there and they all get 18-23 disposals, generally efficient ones. But really they just have to be competitive and then the forwards get to work.
Tanner Bruhn was named BOG by the blokes at Channel 7 with his 21 touches and 7 clearances with only 58% game time. Crazy to think he spent almost half the match on the bench, but this heavy rotation stuff for a few years now has proved ingenious.

Each teams credentials are being heavily downgraded following a loss to Geelong.

We've been favourites for 3 of the 6 games, I believe.

Mr Meow: regards downgrading credentials of losing sides.... that's just the envious and jealous types with a few from Tigerland heading that list of trolls of which you're probably are aware of a few but the bookies and punters alike 'know better' as Geelong have come in from $21 to $7 for flag. I'm still a little 'pissed off' about that as I was going to have a sizable bet on Cats at $21 on SportsBet but the necessary funds I wanted weren't available to me at time. I really don't bet these days but it was absolute BS odds what Geelong got out to before start of season so I was very keen to have a decent bet on them.

Mr Meow: regards downgrading credentials of losing sides.... that's just the envious and jealous types with a few from Tigerland heading that list of trolls of which you're probably are aware of a few but the bookies and punters alike 'know better' as Geelong have come in from $21 to $7 for flag. I'm still a little 'pissed off' about that as I was going to have a sizable bet on Cats at $21 on SportsBet but the necessary funds I wanted weren't available to me at time. I really don't bet these days but it was absolute BS odds what Geelong got out to before start of season so I was very keen to have a decent bet on them.

GWS are still the team to beat.
I reckon those recent finals losses will have them on edge come September. They look a better balanced side at the moment.
Not the best depth in the competition as we saw on the weekend without their AA defender Taylor, but when the finals begin, they're going to be the toughest team of the lot to crack over the full four quarters.

Speak for yourself

Oh boy you went with the David King route?

Buddy, you’re about 5 years late to “TOO OLD TOO SLOW” “GEELONG ARE COOKED”

Blah blah blah

At this point, just accept your biased hatred and keep walking.

Back