Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 6 - Lions v Cats Sat April 20th 7:30pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong still haven't beaten a team above them on the ladder yet. Also lucky to get Brisbane with good bloke Cameron missing with suspension, they'll bounce back once that little motorbike man returns.
Won’t beat anybody next week above us on the ladder next week I don’t think and If we win that won’t happen the week after or the week after and so on.

I’m fine with that.

SPOT ON! Told my Lions supporting partner this.
If you want to be successful, you must first go through the Karate Master, the old Sensai. The litmus test of footy is going through the juggernaut.

If you can get through the Cats in Finals like pressure, you can beat anybody.

2017 - Tigers go through Cats in QF and start dynasty.
2018 - Eagles beat Cats in tight Finals like contest early in the season against most betting odds.
2019 - Tigers scrape through Cats in Prelim after huge post half time comeback.
2020 - Cats were up at half time, Herculean effort from Dusty in 2nd half of Grand Final to drag Tigers ahead…last quarter score didn’t reflect game.
2021 - Dees demolish Cats in Prelim onto drought breaking Premiership.
2022 - Pies lost by a goal in QF, would learn from it and use it next season.
2023 - Pies knock off Cats twice in Finals like games during the season.
2024 - Could see this being the test for a Blues, GWS, Sydney, Dees, Port etc….who is gonna make a statement win this year against the Cats?
#weareeveryonesgrandfinal

SPOT ON! Told my Lions supporting partner this.
If you want to be successful, you must first go through the Karate Master, the old Sensai. The litmus test of footy is going through the juggernaut.

If you can get through the Cats in Finals like pressure, you can beat anybody.

2017 - Tigers go through Cats in QF and start dynasty.
2018 - Eagles beat Cats in tight Finals like contest early in the season against most betting odds.
2019 - Tigers scrape through Cats in Prelim after huge post half time comeback.
2020 - Cats were up at half time, Herculean effort from Dusty in 2nd half of Grand Final to drag Tigers ahead…last quarter score didn’t reflect game.
2021 - Dees demolish Cats in Prelim onto drought breaking Premiership.
2022 - Pies lost by a goal in QF, would learn from it and use it next season.
2023 - Pies knock off Cats twice in Finals like games during the season.
2024 - Could see this being the test for a Blues, GWS, Sydney, Dees, Port etc….who is gonna make a statement win this year against the Cats?

While I don't think we're top 4 this year still, I think we can be the top 4 Gandalf balrog-ing the mediocre teams into the abyss

Bit weird how - even though we've clearly been gifted an automatic 24 points from our first six games - the BigFooty predictors have gone with our opponents in three of those games, overwhelmingly in the cases of Brisbane and Adelaide.

If only you could do your tips after the round has finished, it would make things a lot easier.

1713648947050.png

1713648968972.png
1713649096756.png

Brisbane were flat last night.

And the reason for that is that they put everything they could into beating Melbourne last week. They put their heart and soul into last week and pencilled that fixture as game they really wanted to win. They couldn’t possibly have played any better last week.

On the other hand I’m a Geelong believer now.

I really like what Ollie Henry has been providing for us this year, even though he didn't have an especially good game last night. He was really fumbly against the Lions and probably should have ended with three or four (his first was an absolute gem), but he keeps getting himself in positions to be in the action and getting his two goals each time, which is such a weapon for a guy who'll probably finish third or fourth in our goalkicking.

An underrated aspect of the fact that there were only 13 goals, minimal score reviews.

Brisbane were flat last night.

And the reason for that is that they put everything they could into beating Melbourne last week. They put their heart and soul into last week and pencilled that fixture as game they really wanted to win. They couldn’t possibly have played any better last week.

On the other hand I’m a Geelong believer now.
Nah, it was a combination of us refusing to play wet weather footy and Big O getting injured early. We were firmly in control of the game up until when we lost him to a concussion. Our structure and gameplan completely falls apart when key position players get injured and subbed off.

Nah, it was a combination of us refusing to play wet weather footy and Big O getting injured early. We were firmly in control of the game up until when we lost him to a concussion. Our structure and gameplan completely falls apart when key position players get injured and subbed off.

Even if McInerney remained in the game, Geelong were never going to get blown away. They always work out teams and find ways to make it interesting.

I said heading into the season that Geelong are probably the fittest they have been in many years. They had a grueling preseason. This is evident by the manner in which they run out matches.

Brisbane were terribly overrated heading into 2024.
Neale goes missing when you put someone on him. Geelong are one of the few teams who actually have a decent tagger which is why it'll be a good one next week when we put someone on Walsh.

Even if McInerney remained in the game, Geelong were never going to get blown away. They always work out teams and find ways to make it interesting.

I said heading into the season that Geelong are probably the fittest they have been in many years. They had a grueling preseason. This is evident by the manner in which they run out matches.

Neale goes missing when you put someone on him. Geelong are one of the few teams who actually have a decent tagger which is why it'll be a good one next week when we put someone on Walsh.
Spot on.

As long as we survive the first quarter, Scott & Co will make the requisite adjustments to steady the ship.

They've seen it all now, and the players are just so well drilled that they'll execute it.

Not sure why we were terribly overrated coming off a 4 points Grand Final loss, with a side that wasn't going to lose anyone significant coming into this year, and if anything, the defense was going to be stronger with Doedee coming in.

We've been essentially without three of our starting seven best 22 defenders (two for the rest of the year), including probably three of our best four rebounders. Take say Stewart, Holmes and Z.Guthrie out of the Geelong side for the first six rounds and I'd dare say there would be some structural issues too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why we were terribly overrated coming off a 4 points Grand Final loss, with a side that wasn't going to lose anyone significant coming into this year, and if anything, the defense was going to be stronger with Doedee coming in.

We've been essentially without three of our starting seven best 22 defenders (two for the rest of the year), including probably three of our best four rebounders. Take say Stewart, Holmes and Z.Guthrie out of the Geelong side for the first six rounds and I'd dare say there would be some structural issues too.

You beat up on Port Adelaide who always turn to mush come finals time and you played Carlton, a team who had not played finals for a decade and you still nearly lost that game.

Brisbane just aren't a team that anyone fears when the whips get cracking. Daniher & Hipwood . . . I mean they are very uninspiring footballers. Both are finesse and if you have a solid defense, it's up to Cameron to try and flip a game on it's head.

Was more concerned about teams like Collingwood, Sydney, GWS & Melbourne than what I was with Brisbane heading into 2024.
Even if Port are constant failures in finals, the inclusions of two key defenders and a backup ruck, added with the upside of that brilliant midfield, they were going to be a bigger threat.

A bit fortunate to win that, Brisbane could have put it away early. But a win is a win and we have been a good wet weather team for a long time.

Overall Geelong was clearly the better side, so to say The Cats were a bit fortunate to win as they could have put us away early is just nonsense. It amazes me how so many footy followers including footy commentators think and say that, the games over 4 quarters and approximately 120 minutes and always will be and something the Brisbane Lions were very poor at Saturday night.

Last edited:
You beat up on Port Adelaide who always turn to mush come finals time and you played Carlton, a team who had not played finals for a decade and you still nearly lost that game.

Given your rating of the sides that made the finals last year, it says a lot about a team like Geelong that couldn't even make it...

Also the irony of Geelong supporters complaining people downplaying their performances because of who they've beaten, while you're downplaying who Brisbane came up against in the finals as a way to tarnish the achievement of making a Grand Final.

Brisbane just aren't a team that anyone fears when the whips get cracking. Daniher & Hipwood . . . I mean they are very uninspiring footballers. Both are finesse and if you have a solid defense, it's up to Cameron to try and flip a game on it's head.

Was more concerned about teams like Collingwood, Sydney, GWS & Melbourne than what I was with Brisbane heading into 2024.

Daniher kicked 10 goals from the 3 finals last year, including being Brisbane's BOG in the Grand Final while matched up on Moore.

I'll give you the Hipwood point. He had an OK finals a couple of years ago off the ACL, but struggled last year.

Given your rating of the sides that made the finals last year, it says a lot about a team like Geelong that couldn't even make it...

Also the irony of Geelong supporters complaining people downplaying their performances because of who they've beaten, while you're downplaying who Brisbane came up against in the finals as a way to tarnish the achievement of making a Grand Final.

Daniher kicked 10 goals from the 3 finals last year, including being Brisbane's BOG in the Grand Final while matched up on Moore.

Only Geelong supporters would know of the unfortunate circumstances which led to a lot of lost matches last season. It appears most neutrals ignored them and in doing so, completely write the side off.
Absurd really when you consider Stengle, Cameron, De Koning, Guthrie (ok he got injured) and Stewart is still a bloody good spine.

And I couldn't give a damn if Daniher kicked 10 goals last year in finals. You know who he reminds of, Billy Brownless.
A tremendous player on his day but if he missed the first couple of shots, he had mental issues the rest of the game. Daniher is similar.
He also possess low footy IQ. He can go pinch hit in ruck but he will often do something only a rookie will do and completely cost you a goal or two.
Always thought he'd become a much better footballer when he played at Essendon but it was evident after a few years it was never to be.

I'll give you the Hipwood point. He had an OK finals a couple of years ago off the ACL, but struggled last year.
Call it perspective.

When you've watched the Lions turn to water against your side twice when it matters...it's going to take a lot more than a GF run against two tomato cans to change that.

You'd feel the same way if the prelims against Geelong were reversed.

Often times, our respect/lack of respect for an opponent comes down to how our side has performed against them, particularly in finals. It's human nature.

Call it perspective.

When you've watched the Lions turn to water against your side twice when it matters...it's going to take a lot more than a GF run against two tomato cans to change that.

You'd feel the same way if the prelims against Geelong were reversed.

Often times, our respect/lack of respect for an opponent comes down to how our side has performed against them, particularly in finals. It's human nature.

The irony is that Geelong supporters don't understand that opposition supporters have watched years of Selwood duck his way into free kicks and Hawkins constantly get away with pushes and dives that other forwards get punished for, and hence that's formed their opinions of those two. Great players no doubt, but also greatly looked after by umpires.

Call it perspective.

The irony is that Geelong supporters don't understand that opposition supporters have watched years of Selwood duck his way into free kicks and Hawkins constantly get away with pushes and dives that other forwards get punished for, and hence that's formed their opinions of those two. Great players no doubt, but also greatly looked after by umpires.
Great.

That's literally got nothing to do with why we don't rate the Lions, but go off.

Selwood has not played for 18 months and we are currently 6-0?
It's the Richmond method of arguing.

Get proven wrong, then change the subject to something completely irrelevant as some kind of 'gotcha' moment.

Unfortunately, everyone with a brain sees through it.

Even if Port are constant failures in finals, the inclusions of two key defenders and a backup ruck, added with the upside of that brilliant midfield, they were going to be a bigger threat.

So you essentially agree that Geelong haven't really beaten anyone yet, and they've had an easy draw to start the season. Which (including Brisbane at the moment), I agree with.

Back