Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m happy for people to be continuously wrong ala 2022

But the pure disrespect is hilarious.
Doing backflips constantly to come up with qualifiers or excuses why a team THAT is 7-0 “Havent played good competition”

Is anyone really disrespecting the Cats? I know there is a bit of a narrative building amongst Geelong supporters that they are being heavily underrated but most people would have them within the best 2-3 sides in the comp. You’d be silly to make a call on an outright premiership favourite so early.

I am not too annoyed with the loss today because Geelong are all but the benchmark and we took it right up to them, on another day we might’ve won. If you spanked us I would have some massive concerns because you will be there at the pointy end and that’s where we should be.

Geelong have banked the wins now so they can begin to focus on their run in whilst other teams are still scragging for points and position (including us). That becomes a massive factor.

You seriously think the neutrals are going to point out harsh decision/non-decisions against Carlton of all teams. You either support Carlton or hate them - there is literally no such thing as a neutral when it comes to Carlton. Similar to Collingwood, Essendon etc
Most footy fans, especially those hanging out online, don't have a strong hatred for Carlton or a vested interest in seeing them fail. Reason being, Carlton have been irrelevant for a long, long time. I saw some old Geelong blokes at the footy today hating on Carlton for cheating the cap for the flag in '95, and I was amused at how long they'd held that grudge, but I assume most footy fans these days see Carlton as pretty toothless.

There are people in their twenties who have grown up with Geelong being great just being a formality. They go to the footy to see their team, or watch them at home, and if they see Geelong coming up, they know to expect a loss or a monumental celebration if they win because it's so unusual. Geelong has conditioned fans of every team to hate it. That's what not falling to the bottom and winning spoons year on year (ala Carlton) will do.

Nobody fears Carlton.

Is anyone really disrespecting the Cats? I know there is a bit of a narrative building amongst Geelong supporters that they are being heavily underrated but most people would have them within the best 2-3 sides in the comp.
Yes? It’s not a narrative, we’ve heard EVERY SINGLE WEEK why the wins they’ve had “didn’t count” and now in this very thread umpire blaming.
It’s hilarious because if ANY other team in the League was 7-0 we’d hear none of this.
Tall poppy syndrome at its finest.

None of this is a shot at Carlton either, missing some very good players and probably beat us when we play again.
It’s just tiring man

You seriously think the neutrals are going to point out harsh decision/non-decisions against Carlton of all teams. You either support Carlton or hate them - there is literally no such thing as a neutral when it comes to Carlton. Similar to Collingwood, Essendon etc
We get the same cast of Hawthorn and Richmond supporters moaning every week in match-day threads. Port, Sydney, Brisbane and Collingwood supporters aren't exactly our biggest fans.

Carlton cop a bit of nit picking from the fellow clubs that anoint themselves as "big". But that would only matter in this thread if they were amiable to anything Geelong related.

Most footy fans, especially those hanging out online, don't have a strong hatred for Carlton or a vested interest in seeing them fail. Reason being, Carlton have been irrelevant for a long, long time. I saw some old Geelong blokes at the footy today hating on Carlton for cheating the cap for the flag in '95, and I was amused at how long they'd held that grudge, but I assume most footy fans these days see Carlton as pretty toothless.

There are people in their twenties who have grown up with Geelong being great just being a formality. They go to the footy to see their team, or watch them at home, and if they see Geelong coming up, they know to expect a loss or a monumental celebration if they win because it's so unusual. Geelong has conditioned fans of every team to hate it. That's what not falling to the bottom and winning spoons year on year (ala Carlton) will do.

Nobody fears Carlton.
Please go though any Carlton match thread on the main board from this year. Every game it is "Carlton won because of the umpires" - we beat North by 9 goals and they were robbed according to those "neutrals".

We get the same cast of Hawthorn and Richmond supporters moaning every week in match-day threads. Port, Sydney, Brisbane and Collingwood supporters aren't exactly our biggest fans.

Carlton cop a bit of nit picking from the fellow clubs that anoint themselves as "big". But that would only matter in this thread if they were amiable to anything Geelong related.
I'm not just talking this thread it is literally every match thread involving Carlton. We beat North by 9 goals and they were robbed according to the "neutrals".

Is anyone really disrespecting the Cats? I know there is a bit of a narrative building amongst Geelong supporters that they are being heavily underrated but most people would have them within the best 2-3 sides in the comp. You’d be silly to make a call on an outright premiership favourite so early.

I am not too annoyed with the loss today because Geelong are all but the benchmark and we took it right up to them, on another day we might’ve won. If you spanked us I would have some massive concerns because you will be there at the pointy end and that’s where we should be.

Geelong have banked the wins now so they can begin to focus on their run in whilst other teams are still scragging for points and position (including us). That becomes a massive factor.
Today is the first time I've come across this outside of maybe a few supporters who are extreme minorities from their clubs.

The talk has been all about pretenders about to be exposed, or at the very least "we can't call them a contender yet". Which is fine, but at the very least people might start coming around to the idea of Geelong playing finals this year now.

Really all the talk I’ve seen from opposition supporters is that Geelong had a soft fixture and that’s why they have been wining along with favourable umpiring and home ground advantages ect

Yes? It’s not a narrative, we’ve heard EVERY SINGLE WEEK why the wins they’ve had “didn’t count” and now in this very thread umpire blaming.
It’s hilarious because if ANY other team in the League was 7-0 we’d hear none of this.

None of this is a shot at Carlton either, missing some very good players and probably beat us when we play again.
It’s just tiring man

I wouldn’t take the umpire stuff too seriously. It happens in every match day thread. I disagree that it wouldn’t happen to other sides as BigFooty is always keen to bring down whoever is the best at any given time.

Remember Geelong didn’t make the 8 last year and even the biggest Cats nuffy wouldn’t have had them 7-0 and on top at this point. It takes a while to shift perception from pre-season predictions but the Cats have answered every challenge so far and anyone half serious about footy would have them in the best 2-3 sides and a big chance at the premiership.

Carlton fans: Pies fans are so triggered by Owies pulling his jumper

Also Carlton fans: Tuohy tugged his jumper and it’s not fair he is mean
I didn't see the part of this thread when that happened, but I laughed. I'm genuinely surprised if there were Blues supporters upset about it.
It just seemed forced. I thought to myself that no Blues fans hate him. We didn't want to lose him but don't blame him for leaving. We were happy for him to get a prem medal.
No doubt there'd be a few, but they'd be a very small minority.

It’s just tiring man
I'm surprised by this - you are undefeated. Not sure what more you can do to prove yourselves...

I didn't see the part of this thread when that happened, but I laughed. I'm genuinely surprised if there were Blues supporters upset about it.
It just seemed forced. I thought to myself that no Blues fans hate him. We didn't want to lose him but don't blame him for leaving. We were happy for him to get a prem medal.
No doubt there'd be a few, but they'd be a very small minority.
Yeh I agree I had no bad feeling towards Tuohy when he left. Henderson on the other hand...

Really all the talk I’ve seen from opposition supporters is that Geelong had a soft fixture and that’s why they have been wining along with favourable umpiring and home ground advantages ect

Geelong have had a relatively soft start and do have an easy fixture but I think the wins against St Kilda and Footscray will look better as the season goes on. Carlton couldn’t beat Adelaide where Geelong could. Brisbane at the GABBA and Carlton at the G confirm them as a contender.

There are stuff all easy games this year with the comp so close so I have no idea how anyone can write off a side that is unbeaten almost a third of the way in. Especially a side with history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised by this - you are undefeated. Not sure what more you can do to prove yourselves...
Really? It’s been very obvious to us being undefeated and not getting any credit.
We keep receipts on that s**t, just like 2022 when all season it was the same s**t. Only late in the year did media jump on board.

For example, multiple footy media podcast/shows had Carlton ranked first in rankings coming into this game.

Majority of the same media and pundits had us around 3rd/4th…while sitting on top…undefeated.

They might just start charging their tune, don’t expect David King to though. He hates Geelong. I wouldn’t expect Carlton to slide. They are the real deal.

Really? It’s been very obvious to us being undefeated and not getting any credit.
We keep receipts on that s**t, just like 2022 when all season it was the same s**t. Only late in the year did media jump on board.

For example, multiple footy media podcast/shows had Carlton ranked first in rankings coming into this game.

Majority of the same media and pundits had us around 3rd/4th…while sitting on top…undefeated.

They might just start charging their tune, don’t expect David King to though. He hates Geelong.
I don't take much notice of the analysts. They flip flop every second week. We lost to Adelaide and they got old mate Hoyney out there to tell us how Carlton have no turnover/transition when Pittonet plays. We then went on to beat the Giants who are strong in transition the following week with Pittonet. Pittonet was again one of the best afield this week.

Geelong are frustratingly good - and you can probably look to manage players now. Interesting to see how the match goes when we play again (only 8 weeks away for some reason).

And but for bad set shots they probably would have won it.

Today's cameo today was a great addition to his scrap book, for a player who has obviously declined over the past couple of years. He falls over a lot these days but still has his strong moments.
Feel like he always has strong goal kicking games against us for some reason. Similar to Keays from Adelaide - always turns into Carey against Carlton

They might just start charging their tune, don’t expect David King to though. He hates Geelong.

Whilst I wouldn’t have Carlton ranked first (would have us around 3rd-5th) I don’t see how that is a massive issue. Are Sydney any less of a contender because they lost to Richmond? Are Adelaide any more of a contender because they beat Carlton? The rankings are just a projection. Geelong will lose games to lesser sides this year but it won’t change much come finals time.

Personally I would have GWS first. They lost to us and looked shakey against St Kilda. This time 2 years ago Melbourne were everyone’s pick and Geelong were 7th on the ladder.

That's not what expected scores said.
God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio

Back