Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you tell us the league wide correlation between winning the free kick count and winning the game?
Over say a 5 year period? I'd hazard a guess that it's around 50%
There can be genuine questions about specific calls or missed frees, but the actual count in any given game is virtually useless.
The point was that all the sooking about the umpiring is baseless when Carlton received more free kicks …can’t claim that less free kicks influences the outcome better than recieving more free kicks on the umpiring conspiracy victim rants

Yep, disclaimers both against Geelong and for opposition - week in, week out.

Still haven't beaten a decent side unless there's a monsoon or corrupt umpires and a WWII hospital ward-esque injury list are involved.

Haven’t won on a Tuesday on a Cold Rainy night in Stoke….

Therefore, HAVENT BEAT ANYONE 🙃

Great game. Better team lost but it's apparent Carlton lack polish at times and they kicked themselves out of it. Cats did well to take every chance. These look like the 2 best teams in the league rn.
Not sure about that.
There's still question marks on Blues (and rightly so) and apart from tonight, questions about the quality of the Cats opponents.
Not to say that neither of them aren't up there, but I still think GWS are one of the teams to beat and Dees and Swans are still dangerous.

The point was that all the sooking about the umpiring is baseless when Carlton received more free kicks …can’t claim that less free kicks influences the outcome better than recieving more free kicks
So if a team wins more free kicks it is impossible for them to be disadvantaged by umpiring? A team can earn 30 free kicks in a game and actually get 15. Another team can earn 15 and get 12. Which team was more disadvantaged?

Not sure why some are banging on about the umpires. They're not the reason we kicked inaccurately, nor are the reason for that Durdin miss 20m out.

I'm taking it as a positive - matched up with them despite our first choice HB line out. But geez do we miss Martin and Motlop just for some finishing class.

Geelong well deserved winners, next game is only several weeks away. They were surgeons going forward while we were butchers. Which sums up our gamesytle really, brutal but messy. Can fix it up a bit with some returning players, but we still rely on brute force more than finesse.

So if a team wins more free kicks it is impossible for them to be disadvantaged by umpiring? A team can earn 30 free kicks in a game and actually get 15. Another team can earn 15 and get 12. Which team was more disadvantaged?
Neither because free kicks shouldn’t determine the outcome of a 90 mins game

But if the conspiracies and victim mode help with coping with the loss all the more power to the posters that want to do that

Not sure about that.
There's still question marks on Blues (and rightly so) and apart from tonight, questions about the quality of the Cats opponents.
oh Jesus you’d didn’t just bring that out did you?
I thought that would be done after beating your lot?

Who ELSE do we have to beat to be taken seriously?
If ANY other team was 7-0 they’d be heralded as Premiership contenders.

Everyone said Brisbane was our challenge, and then Carlton would knock us off.

Not sure why some are banging on about the umpires. They're not the reason we kicked inaccurately, nor are the reason for that Durdin miss 20m out.

I'm taking it as a positive - matched up with them despite our first choice HB line out. But geez do we miss Martin and Motlop just for some finishing class.

Geelong well deserved winners, next game is only several weeks away. They were surgeons going forward while we were butchers. Which sums up our gamesytle really, brutal but messy. Can fix it up a bit with some returning players, but we still rely on brute force more than finesse.

Beautifully put, well summarised and didn’t pull out a bunch of excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you tell us the league wide correlation between winning the free kick count and winning the game?
Over say a 5 year period? I'd hazard a guess that it's around 50%
There can be genuine questions about specific calls or missed frees, but the actual count in any given game is virtually useless.
Stop bleating about free kicks then. Carlton didn't lose the game because of missed free kicks or free kicks given. There were a lot of missed calls today for both sides. The umpires seemed very reluctant to pay any HTB.

Carlton lost because they missed early chances, which would have been crucial for setting the tone of the game. Despite outplaying us in general play early they didn't convert. That's not bad luck. It's bad football. Both sides went through periods were they seemed out of legs and gave up a string of goals, but the Cats were able to hammer on more and defended better when Carlton had their run-ons.

Carlton are improving but still a work in progress. Don't think it's their time yet. Nice to see their supporters showing up for games now though. Good for them.

So what were your “thoughts” then?

This should be good…
I thought the umpiring was very inconsistent across four quarters which made it a frustrating watch. Seemed to let things go for a period and then suddenly were pulling free kicks out of the Netherrealm - also didn't think it was evenly umpired game

Kreuuuzeurns is the captain and you can be coach, of the Blues supporter base. Very well said. With strong leadership you can guide the masses to more balanced summations after the game.

Nah, he's right. Carlton aren't anything to worry about.

We still haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder. Can't be taken seriously until we do.

Meh let the team be underrated …still a long way to go in the year and things can fall apart very quickly

But geez it would be nice to be appreciated and deserved winners rather than basing the win on the umpiring and injuries ect

Meh let the team be underrated …still a long way to go in the year and things can fall apart very quickly

But geez it would be nice to be appreciated and deserved winners rather than basing the win on the umpiring and injuries ect
I’m happy for people to be continuously wrong ala 2022

But the pure disrespect is hilarious.
Doing backflips constantly to come up with qualifiers or excuses why a team THAT is 7-0 “Havent played good competition”

Was at work earlier but am about to sit down and watch the replay with a beer or 2...anything I should be aware of beforehand? Umpiring; the effect of injury lists etc?
Watch for the umps to give Carlton 40% more free kicks than they do for Geelong. Otherwise enjoy a cracking game of footy.

Stop bleating about free kicks then. Carlton didn't lose the game because of missed free kicks or free kicks given. There were a lot of missed calls today for both sides. The umpires seemed very reluctant to pay any HTB.

Carlton lost because they missed early chances, which would have been crucial for setting the tone of the game. Despite outplaying us in general play early they didn't convert. That's not bad luck. It's bad football. Both sides went through periods were they seemed out of legs and gave up a string of goals, but the Cats were able to hammer on more and defended better when Carlton had their run-ons.

Carlton are improving but still a work in progress. Don't think it's their time yet. Nice to see their supporters showing up for games now though. Good for them.
Exactly. The difference was this thread wasn't populated by Geelong supporters moaning about every missed call against us or soft one conceded. And you will just never have a neutral point out harsh decisions/non decisions against Geelong unless the free kick differential becomes absurd. So they joined in the moaning too. It was eerily quiet when Carlton had a run of soft free kicks late, that ended up in Carlton goals.

I’m happy for people to be continuously wrong ala 2022

But the pure disrespect is hilarious.
Doing backflips constantly to come up with qualifiers or excuses why a team THAT is 7-0 “Havent played good competition”
Hasn’t been the first time that the critics have done this to the team when they had a good run and won’t be the last time

It’s amusing and very annoying at the same time , no doubt if we should win next week it’ll start all over again and go to the extreme if the team loses the next game

Such is the circle of life

Did you miss de Koning getting decapitated?

Constant hands in the back from curnow and McKay?

Cripps throwing everything he touches?

Numerous occasions of staging.

The "anyone but Geelong" commentary might have swayed some.
M8 I didn’t have to see anything.
All I had to do was read all the constant whinging about umps in this thread from Carlton supporters to know that they were obviously hard done by!

And you will just never have a neutral point out harsh decisions/non decisions against Geelong unless the free kick differential becomes absurd.
You seriously think the neutrals are going to point out harsh decision/non-decisions against Carlton of all teams. You either support Carlton or hate them - there is literally no such thing as a neutral when it comes to Carlton. Similar to Collingwood, Essendon etc

Hasn’t been the first time that the critics have done this to the team when they had a good run and won’t be the last time

It’s amusing and very annoying at the same time , no doubt if we should win next week it’ll start all over again and go to the extreme if the team loses the next game

Such is the circle of life
At the end of the day Geelong has played at home just twice from seven games and beaten two of last year's prelim finalists (both away from Geelong), an elimination finalist, two sides right on the cusp of finals and two easy-beats.

People can make excuses all they like, but them's the facts.

BigFooty tipsters have us 3-4 from the games so far.

Back