Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our ball movement was good to not give up turnovers but I think once again it all come down to our clearance dominance
Well Rayner completely owned that in the first quarter and not taking anything away from our efforts but Petracca and particularly Oliver weren't anywhere near what you would normally expect if in good form.

Knowing our standard modus operandi, we will utilise the services of Adrian Anderson as our attorney, who will proceed to throw Charlie Cameron under a bus and continue his abominable record as tribunal defence representative.
He will tell Charlie to make sure he heard teeth chatter as Levers head hit
The ground …

Knowing our standard modus operandi, we will utilise the services of Adrian Anderson as our attorney, who will proceed to throw Charlie Cameron under a bus and continue his abominable record as tribunal defence representative.

Yes. But evidently we can't afford one. Hence we always end up with Adrian Anderson like all the other clubs who are not Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, West Coast and Adelaide.
I have often thought you would be better off with a football person representing the player, a former player with common sense and nous who could succinctly but forward a logical, no fluff argument for an acquittal or downgrade, eg. Leigh Matthews.

The Lawyers can suffer from delusions of grandeur, getting caught up in there own magnificence and make the case more bloviated than it needs to be.

Apologies it anything below has been mentioned before.
Only read the last 3 "review pages".
Been crook for a few days but recovered enough to watch the full game Thursday evening.

In the first 10 minutes of the game my first thought was the preseason training i attended on occasions.
I commented at the time that the team was concentrating on short pass game skills.
They used 1/3 of the ground and about 12 players a side.
Players had to continually lead into a confined space until something suitable presented.
Both the players continually having to lead and the kicker actually hitting a target was not easy to do.
I thought the group did quite well at that time though.
They did this over and over in different tight dimensions of the ground.
Then also converting that drill into a smaller area using handballs instead of kicks.
This also continued for some intraclub simulations around that time.

Did not see much of this the first 3 rounds. I won't count the North game as not a great guide.

It took until the Demon's game for that to pay off. At a guess they trained that way again during the week.
It really should be a good part but not all of our game plan.
Mix it up a bit and we should be a better side.

That was the game plan Thursday evening, but you actually have to be quite fit to do this the whole game.
So, in my opinion we are now a fit side even though we dropped off a bit at the end.

The team pressure and sticking of most tackles was also a huge reason for the win.
Throw in a concentrated effort over 4 quarters and Melbourne were just not ready for what we provided.

Good to see our midfield playing to a losing ruck. Watch your opponent and win the hard ball.
Center clearance 11 a piece but we won stoppage clearances 33 to 24.

1712979761096.png

Regarding Charlie we will be lucky if the club appeals and even if they do i don't like his chances.

The AFL have been adamant about the sling tackle and Charlie must have been under a rock from the preseason games onwards to know this is now not wanted in the game of AFL.

If he somehow gets off great, but it appears players still need reminding this is no longer an acceptable tackle style.

More than great God like. BOG by far

3 votes - M Gawn

That said, exceptional effort. His best by a street. To those that bemoan his drop off after half time, Rayner will never have the aerobic capacity to play full time mid.

With the commentary about our use of the sub, IMO we should tell Cal to play like this every week - go hard from the start and set the game up. When he is gassed, sub him. If we need the sub for injury to another player, play Cal in the forward pocket for the ast 1/4 - to play ground level, not go for screamers.

Last edited:
Lever bounced straight back up and took the free kick, did not need to go off to be assessed, his head barely touched the ground... don't F ing tell me the AFL have suddenly decided to suspend the action and not the resultant injury or lack of injury like they have for ever and a day.

Really gives me the shites.

Yeah but, knock someone out to end their career and it's ok. So they are not basing suspension on outcome.

When I went to bed on game night at half time I mentioned I was going to check the score in the morning. Instead I left the game thread open and first up read the rest of the game day thread to keep in with the awareness of the game as it unfolded ... only once I had finished the game day thread did I check the score.

Thinking I might need therapy or something!

If I miss a game I go to the worm then compare it to the game day thread. Adds comedy element.

Berry was huge on the wing. 23 disposals and 8 tackles. He terrorised the Melbourne ball carriers.

Rayner terrorised the entire Melbourne team ;)

25 touches (14 contested) 5 marks, 10 inside 50’s, 9 clearances, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists and 7 score involvements

I'm now waiting for the inevitable main board thread Can Cam "God" Rayner be the GOAT!

Apologies it anything below has been mentioned before.
Only read the last 3 "review pages".
Been crook for a few days but recovered enough to watch the full game Thursday evening.

In the first 10 minutes of the game my first thought was the preseason training i attended on occasions.
I commented at the time that the team was concentrating on short pass game skills.
They used 1/3 of the ground and about 12 players a side.
Players had to continually lead into a confined space until something suitable presented.
Both the players continually having to lead and the kicker actually hitting a target was not easy to do.
I thought the group did quite well at that time though.
They did this over and over in different tight dimensions of the ground.
Then also converting that drill into a smaller area using handballs instead of kicks.
This also continued for some intraclub simulations around that time.

Did not see much of this the first 3 rounds. I won't count the North game as not a great guide.

It took until the Demon's game for that to pay off. At a guess they trained that way again during the week.
It really should be a good part but not all of our game plan.
Mix it up a bit and we should be a better side.

That was the game plan Thursday evening, but you actually have to be quite fit to do this the whole game.
So, in my opinion we are now a fit side even though we dropped off a bit at the end.

The team pressure and sticking of most tackles was also a huge reason for the win.
Throw in a concentrated effort over 4 quarters and Melbourne were just not ready for what we provided.

Good to see our midfield playing to a losing ruck. Watch your opponent and win the hard ball.
Center clearance 11 a piece but we won stoppage clearances 33 to 24.

View attachment 1958035

Regarding Charlie we will be lucky if the club appeals and even if they do i don't like his chances.

The AFL have been adamant about the sling tackle and Charlie must have been under a rock from the preseason games onwards to know this is now not wanted in the game of AFL.

If he somehow gets off great, but it appears players still need reminding this is no longer an acceptable tackle style.

We will appeal purely on the basis that Charlie currently has like 128 straight games played they would want to comtinue that. It is like Crisp for Collingwood, they played him after somethings my happened last year that affected him on Easter Thursday which majority of Pies fans said was only to keep his streak alive.

More than great God like. BOG by far

He was one of our best against Collingwood and our best against Melbourne so I think he’s had the best start to a year so far.

Also another player I’d like to bring up is Ben Ainsworth. He was pick four the year before Rayner and even though he’s never broken out I’d say year on year he’s consistently improve for the Suns and become one of their most important players. I wanted to highlight him because it’s important to remember that not every player has some magical breakout or starts their peak at 22. I’m not sure he’s really ever been dropped that much either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester was never slow. That was the most ridiculous example of groupthink ever seen on our board. It was right up there with Sam Sheldon deserves a game each week in the seniors because he “plays his role.” Lester has alway been a great endurance runner with good acceleration and closing speed. He also reads the play extraordinarily well and is a ferocious tackler. He has always been a strong intercept mark and rebounding defender.
Okay, reality check time. Remember Gary Lazarus, one-time CHF for Fitzroy? Lester is slower than Lazza was; hell, he's probably slower than Lazza IS! There is no player, on any AFL list, slow enough for Ryan Lester to play a whole game on; Harry McKay is possibly slow enough, but then he's too big for Lester, and the ridiculous sight of him playing a GF on Ian "Bobby" Hill would have been funny if it hadn't cost us a flag.

Granted, he has improved over the last two years, but he is still a yardstick for the club: if he is holding his place in the team for any reason other than being Zorko's brother-in-law, we are not good enough to win a premiership. When McKenna and Coleman (eventually) come back, he has to go back to the twos.

Okay, reality check time. Remember Gary Lazarus, one-time CHF for Fitzroy? Lester is slower than Lazza was; hell, he's probably slower than Lazza IS! There is no player, on any AFL list, slow enough for Ryan Lester to play a whole game on;
Jarryd Lyons.
Harry McKay is possibly slow enough, but then he's too big for Lester, and the ridiculous sight of him playing a GF on Ian "Bobby" Hill would have been funny if it hadn't cost us a flag.

Granted, he has improved over the last two years, but he is still a yardstick for the club: if he is holding his place in the team for any reason other than being Zorko's brother-in-law, we are not good enough to win a premiership. When McKenna and Coleman (eventually) come back, he has to go back to the twos.

Okay, reality check time. Remember Gary Lazarus, one-time CHF for Fitzroy? Lester is slower than Lazza was; hell, he's probably slower than Lazza IS! There is no player, on any AFL list, slow enough for Ryan Lester to play a whole game on; Harry McKay is possibly slow enough, but then he's too big for Lester, and the ridiculous sight of him playing a GF on Ian "Bobby" Hill would have been funny if it hadn't cost us a flag.

That is a really rough call. What about Brenton Klaebe?

I see Dawson's sling tackle was also graded as low impact, meaning a fine only. I still don't understand how the impact of Charlie's sling tackle is considered medium impact.
Do we know if they’re challenging Charlie’s suspension?

Tell us you have watched no football since 2022 without telling us you've watched no football since 2022 🤷

Not sure what these guys are smoking. Cam was ok, but only just. Hardly best on.....

Let's just wait till he does at least this (and ideally more) per game for a whole season before we give him some kudos.

From SEN.(the big talking points from round 5)
That’s what we’ve been waiting for, Cam

That was the best game of Cam Rayner’s career.
The 24-year-old was electric in Brisbane’s 60-82 win over Melbourne at the MCG on Thursday, gathering 25 disposals to go with nine clearances and 10 inside 50s.
The former No. 1 pick has been used primarily as a forward throughout his six-year career but playing in a hybrid mid/forward role could get the most out of his obvious talent.
Rayner has all of the attributes to become Brisbane’s version of Isaac Heeney and Thursday night showed off that he really can become that type of X-factor on-baller.
He matched his career-highs in disposals and easily beat his previous records in both clearances and inside 50s on Thursday.
We can only wonder what he’ll keep doing with some more opportunities in this new advanced role.

From AFLcom.au (Eight things we learned from round 5)
In Brisbane's important win over Melbourne on Thursday night, it was Cam Rayner setting the tone through the middle of the ground.
In the first quarter alone, Rayner gathered 12 disposals, six clearances and seven inside 50s, and proved crucial in giving his side confidence early in the game.
As the game wore on, the balance between he and his fellow midfielders in Josh Dunkley and Lachie Neale became more evident, but that early dominance from Rayner was key in taking away Melbourne's main asset – its onball brigade of Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, and Clayton Oliver.
Rayner finished the game with 10 inside 50s from 25 disposals, and proved his value roaming higher up the ground for longer periods of time. – Gemma Bastiani

Have heard nothing yet. But if Dawson's tackle has been graded that means it can be used as precedent. As can Vlastuin's. And we should.

But given we will most likely get lumped with Adrian Anderson... We won't 🤦🤦🤦
Genuine question; have we ever - as in modern era suspensions being prescribed from that table - successfully got a player off or had their suspension downgraded back to a fine? My memory may be lapsing but I genuinely don’t recall us being successful.

Back