Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what these guys are smoking. Cam was ok, but only just. Hardly best on.....

Let's just wait till he does at least this (and ideally more) per game for a whole season before we give him some kudos.

From SEN.(the big talking points from round 5)
That’s what we’ve been waiting for, Cam

That was the best game of Cam Rayner’s career.
The 24-year-old was electric in Brisbane’s 60-82 win over Melbourne at the MCG on Thursday, gathering 25 disposals to go with nine clearances and 10 inside 50s.
The former No. 1 pick has been used primarily as a forward throughout his six-year career but playing in a hybrid mid/forward role could get the most out of his obvious talent.
Rayner has all of the attributes to become Brisbane’s version of Isaac Heeney and Thursday night showed off that he really can become that type of X-factor on-baller.
He matched his career-highs in disposals and easily beat his previous records in both clearances and inside 50s on Thursday.
We can only wonder what he’ll keep doing with some more opportunities in this new advanced role.

From AFLcom.au (Eight things we learned from round 5)
In Brisbane's important win over Melbourne on Thursday night, it was Cam Rayner setting the tone through the middle of the ground.
In the first quarter alone, Rayner gathered 12 disposals, six clearances and seven inside 50s, and proved crucial in giving his side confidence early in the game.
As the game wore on, the balance between he and his fellow midfielders in Josh Dunkley and Lachie Neale became more evident, but that early dominance from Rayner was key in taking away Melbourne's main asset – its onball brigade of Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, and Clayton Oliver.
Rayner finished the game with 10 inside 50s from 25 disposals, and proved his value roaming higher up the ground for longer periods of time. – Gemma Bastiani
Let's face it ,he was fantastic .He seemed suited to the stop start pattern in the first quarter where he was able to get to and dominate stoppages.

I'm not getting carried away but clearly he has the capacity if we use him appropriately and he keeps a level of consistency. It's when the game opens up that is the test. I hope he learnt that the one time he got to the front of the pack he took a contested mark.

Genuine question; have we ever - as in modern era suspensions being prescribed from that table - successfully got a player off or had their suspension downgraded back to a fine? My memory may be lapsing but I genuinely don’t recall us being successful.
Didn't we get Hipwood off for running into an umpire or something in a game against the Bulldogs a couple of years ago?

Or maybe he pushed his opponent into the umpire?

Not sure what these guys are smoking. Cam was ok, but only just. Hardly best on.....

Let's just wait till he does at least this (and ideally more) per game for a whole season before we give him some kudos.

From SEN.(the big talking points from round 5)
That’s what we’ve been waiting for, Cam

That was the best game of Cam Rayner’s career.
The 24-year-old was electric in Brisbane’s 60-82 win over Melbourne at the MCG on Thursday, gathering 25 disposals to go with nine clearances and 10 inside 50s.
The former No. 1 pick has been used primarily as a forward throughout his six-year career but playing in a hybrid mid/forward role could get the most out of his obvious talent.
Rayner has all of the attributes to become Brisbane’s version of Isaac Heeney and Thursday night showed off that he really can become that type of X-factor on-baller.
He matched his career-highs in disposals and easily beat his previous records in both clearances and inside 50s on Thursday.
We can only wonder what he’ll keep doing with some more opportunities in this new advanced role.

From AFLcom.au (Eight things we learned from round 5)
In Brisbane's important win over Melbourne on Thursday night, it was Cam Rayner setting the tone through the middle of the ground.
In the first quarter alone, Rayner gathered 12 disposals, six clearances and seven inside 50s, and proved crucial in giving his side confidence early in the game.
As the game wore on, the balance between he and his fellow midfielders in Josh Dunkley and Lachie Neale became more evident, but that early dominance from Rayner was key in taking away Melbourne's main asset – its onball brigade of Christian Petracca, Jack Viney, and Clayton Oliver.
Rayner finished the game with 10 inside 50s from 25 disposals, and proved his value roaming higher up the ground for longer periods of time. – Gemma Bastiani
Lots of gushing over Cam this week. Let's hope he lives up to the new benchmark he has set.

Didn't we get Hipwood off for running into an umpire or something in a game against the Bulldogs a couple of years ago?

Or maybe he pushed his opponent into the umpire?
Maybe; I just can’t remember lol but my memory at least is that we haven’t in recent hearings. I do hope we challenge because I reckon a half decent argument just has to get him off with other examples this year.

Let's face it ,he was fantastic .He seemed suited to the stop start pattern in the first quarter where he was able to get to and dominate stoppages.

I'm not getting carried away but clearly he has the capacity if we use him appropriately and he keeps a level of consistency. It's when the game opens up that is the test. I hope he learnt that the one time he got to the front of the pack he took a contested mark.

I reckon he's going to be the difference in how far we make it in finals this year. Who else is going to step up along side Neale, Dunkley & Clug? This week was a good one, it certainly won't be incremental growth, but he's stamped his mark on a few big games now. I'll take that.

Edit: I'm a big fan of Ashcroft. But won't be expecting too much from him this year coming back from an ACL.

Dayne Zorko was on SENQ this morning and they asked him whether we were going to appeal Charlie's suspension, Zorks didn't know but to me it sounded like he was resigned to him accepting that he was in the wrong... said you can't lift and throw in a tackle.

Zork's also said he thought the win over the Demons was just about the best we have played under Chris Fagan.

Last edited:
Okay, reality check time. Remember Gary Lazarus, one-time CHF for Fitzroy? Lester is slower than Lazza was; hell, he's probably slower than Lazza IS! There is no player, on any AFL list, slow enough for Ryan Lester to play a whole game on; Harry McKay is possibly slow enough, but then he's too big for Lester, and the ridiculous sight of him playing a GF on Ian "Bobby" Hill would have been funny if it hadn't cost us a flag.

Granted, he has improved over the last two years, but he is still a yardstick for the club: if he is holding his place in the team for any reason other than being Zorko's brother-in-law, we are not good enough to win a premiership. When McKenna and Coleman (eventually) come back, he has to go back to the twos.

Interesting. Did Lester kill your cat?

Dayne Zorko was on SENQ this morning and they asked him whether we were going to appeal Charlie's suspension, Zorks didn't know but to me it sounded like he was resigned to him accepting that he was in the wrong... said you can't lift and throw in a tackle.

Zork's also said he thought the win over the Demons was just about the best we have played under Chris Fagan.
Bit surprised about that

I actually think there was enough force for it to be only a 20% chance of getting off

But it’s a huge game so worth rolling the dice

Since a challenge would include the lead up to the incident... can we get a formal ruling from the umpiring fraternity on the validity of the rulings / non-rulings of the previous five plays (speaks to players state of mind)

That’s would rightfully not help.

“You see sir Charlie was very frustrated so really it’s understandable that he performed a dangerous tackle and risked giving a concussion to someone.”

It’s like that article trying to absolve Finlayson of using a slur because his wife is sick.

“You see, when you’re going through a difficult time it’s completely fine to make others around you feel ostracised and belittled so you can say a couple slurs as a treat.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. Did Lester kill your cat?

I saw Ryan Lester at a grocery store in Nerang yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Freddo Frogs in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

We are challenging it.

I saw Ryan Lester at a grocery store in Nerang yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Freddo Frogs in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
I can't believe this at all.
Froggy ?
Noooooooooooooo!
Maybe it's how he got his name, fetish for freddo frogs.
It all makes sense now.
3kz you have created a monster , he reads your posts, his head has exploded.

but seriously , nothing wrong with saying a quick hello to these guys .
i literally ran into Simon Black in the IGA up in Harvey bay a few years ago and all I could say was gooday Simon how you going. he said gooday back with a smile. That was it, I kept walking , I was a bit star struck tbh.
I felt a bit of a dick.
I mean everbody calls him Blacky right.
The missus reckoned he kept looking back at me , trying to work out if he knew me or something , cause I called him simon, or maybe he thought I was another elite athlete , lol.

Coaches votes:

Cameron Rayner (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Ryan Lester (BL)
Max Gawn (MELB)
Harris Andrews (BL)

Coaches votes:

Cameron Rayner (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Ryan Lester (BL)
Max Gawn (MELB)
Harris Andrews (BL)
So...5 + 5 for Rayner
4 and 2 for Dunks
4 and 1 for Hugh
3 and 1 for Lester
3 for Gawn
2 for Harris?

Coaches must have seen the game a bit differently to each other

Coaches votes:

Cameron Rayner (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Ryan Lester (BL)
Max Gawn (MELB)
Harris Andrews (BL)

Cam Rayner and Ryan Lester supremacy. I reckon 1.3m contracts for the both of them are in order.

Just need 3KZ is Football to sign off on them and it’s all good to go.

A 10 for Rayners first quarter.
Some quarter!

He was still very good for the remainder of quarters - he just played more HFF than mid in those quarters because Fagan is in denial that Cam is a Brownlow calibre midfield gun 😎

Not sure Lever received medium impact when he got up like the doorbell rang while lying on his lounge floor.He also looked to have flicked his head into the turf to make sure of a free kick his way.

Coaches votes:

Cameron Rayner (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Ryan Lester (BL)
Max Gawn (MELB)
Harris Andrews (BL)

Let the Lester discussion behind a new.

3 from one coach, and 1 from the other? So rated by both?

My opinion - He was awesome, can infringe time and time again, just small touches, steps and holds, all with an Innocent look the cons the umpires.

Love watching this cleverness every time he is around the ball.

I can't believe this at all.
Froggy ?
Noooooooooooooo!
Maybe it's how he got his name, fetish for freddo frogs.
It all makes sense now.
3kz you have created a monster , he reads your posts, his head has exploded.

but seriously , nothing wrong with saying a quick hello to these guys .
i literally ran into Simon Black in the IGA up in Harvey bay a few years ago and all I could say was gooday Simon how you going. he said gooday back with a smile. That was it, I kept walking , I was a bit star struck tbh.
I felt a bit of a dick.
I mean everbody calls him Blacky right.
The missus reckoned he kept looking back at me , trying to work out if he knew me or something , cause I called him simon, or maybe he thought I was another elite athlete , lol.
It's amazing when you meet people in the public eye and you can see them mentally trying to place you . Because you know who they are they're wondering if they should know who you are.

Back