Review Round 7, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How many for Neale.
Neale Hmmm.
How many times do you see him fall to the ground when he gets pushed or punched.
No need , take the hit and step backwards, why hold your feet to the ground like it's been nailed there.
Poor look, I feel his frustration for no free, but forget that s**t mate .
He's our co captain, hold your ground and brace yourself for a push it's bloody going to come mate , and take a step back .
Seen enough the last few years , we are not good enough, period, players and coach.
never good enough to be champs unfortunately.
Players like Prior getting dropped over the years , when others kept their spot , considering this kid would up our levels of intensity just baffles me, its not like the untouchables don't have turnovers or poor games.
Thinking a total reset is required with all the players, but I feel like our fringe players have stopped trying to put the effort in what's the point when they get dropped if they make a few mistakes.
I feel he hasn't set a level playing field for all the players , how do you get back from those policies.
Lester; again outstanding and continuing to demonstrate what we always knew.

Hipwood; forgettable again. Still takes his position for granted and knows whilst Fagan is coach, he’ll be selected.

Gardiner; the less said the better. Whose hair brain scheme was it to move him forward? He’s clueless and Fagan still seems wedded to the move? Why; I’ll never have any idea.
I feel sorry for Dizzy tbh.
Set up for a fail.

Last edited:
The one thing we always knew about the lions was they never gave up. Last night the giants got to 3 goals up and we knew the giants would win. I thought well it won't blow out, the side always keeps fighting. They didn't last night, you could see they just couldn't be bothered in the second half.
I think the players have already written the season off in their own minds.
Will be a long 6 months from now if they have.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Started in his old role as half forward with stints in the midfield. He did come back into defense to get the ball later in the game, but I'm not sure if that was a positional move or him pushing back to try and launch an attack or two.
Im not sure if it was the magnets being moved or players going searching more for it. But late in the game Zorko, Lohman and Cameron were popping up more and more in the back half.

Again not sure if it was trying something new or the backs were so exhausted they couldnt drive it forward anymore and the talls were not providing meaningful leads/separation

Comfortably our worst performance for the season so far. Outran, outworked, zero answers.

Some of the stories were similar - a lot of inside 50s that we didn't take advantage of and a period of momentum we didn't capitalise on, but the sheer lack of run and effort (look at the bounces/tackling/stoppage/sprinting stats) was more worrying. We looked cooked.

Andrews and Lester were huge and prevented it from being an even bigger drubbing, and I thought Answerth/Dunkley/Berry at least had a crack even if they had their fair share of errors. Disappointed in Clug, Payne and most of the forwards, and even with O out of form it is hard to see Fort as a viable option if his baseline is games like tonight as a sole ruck.
little bit of context, We play a zone type defence so at times there are different matchups, but Lester was marking Brown when he scored his first two goals, However I thought Lester played well.
Berry, especially the first half played very well and Answerth always has a dig.
Andrews played generally well, but his lack of speed was displayed a few times.
Payne kept the leading coleman forward (Hogan) to one goal and one behind. His second behind was when Harris was marking him, so i thought Payne was reasonably solid.

We just looked slow in the midfield. Neale appears to be injured, perhaps the ankle is not right. For the first time IMO, Dunks looked slow last night and Hugh is not blessed with blistering speed over 20 meters. The forward structure is a worry, and I have posted a million times Cam is our third tall forward with brief stints in the midfield.

It’s time to start the rebuild. The longer we hold off the longer it will be until we be not competing for a flag again. We had our 5 years of finals and now we’re done. Missed a flag but had some fun..

No need to panic.

Briztoon will have the list all sorted and back firing before Tassie enters the comp and stuffs the draft for evrryone else.

I think we have had arguably the toughest draw in the comp so far and it's not as bad as it looks. Certainly not the "end of an era" stuff the media are already starting with.

Carlton - top 3 favs for flag
Freo away - Round 1 they were flying and super pumped up
Collingwood - flogged in the media all week leading up to it, massive bounce back factor
North- win
Melbourne - win
Geelong - wet as it gets against the best wet weather team in the comp
GWS - lost away to premiership favs

Maybe with a 5 day break and a game as wet as the last one was, we were just cooked...

Other trend I'm noticing is teams kicking super accurately against us, while we kick poorly ourselves. The stats definitely show this in our losses.

now we play Gold Coast, Adelaide, Richmond, Hawks, Dogs, Saints, Port, Melb, Adelaide, West Coast in the next ten, and we have the ability to win 7 or 8 of those.

I'm not giving up yet.
I like your positivity.
Yes had a very tough opening with opposition and travel, and I know we have a few outs, but getting flogged by GWS (also a five day break) without Taylor, Greene and Coniglio, has confirmed to me, that at best we are in the bottom half of the top 8.
Suns, Port, Melb and possibly Saints games are no sure thing.

We just looked slow in the midfield. Neale appears to be injured, perhaps the ankle is not right. For the first time IMO, Dunks looked slow last night and Hugh is not blessed with blistering speed over 20 meters. The forward structure is a worry, and I have posted a million times Cam is our third tall forward with brief stints in the midfield.
We have been slow in our midfield for a few years, our defensive all over ground structure and adherence to that has got us through very well, but we have seen a few times over those years what happens if 1 or 2 players drop off that adherence by getting sucked into the contest or not reacting quick enough... we get systematically dismantled via run, gun, overlap footy by the better sides.

In offence we have by and large got through with quick ball movement and decision making not physical leg speed.

Unfortunately except for a few brief quarters this season we have been off with our structure which makes us look like a middle of the table team, we need 100% team by in to be an elite side.

Moving Zorko off the halfback flank was a poor decision. He’s been our best this season down back and we missed his ball use down there.
Problem is the backline is the one area that has guys going ok. If you want to bring in McKenna (which I think we do need his run and drive in this AFL meta style), you have to move or drop one of Zorko, Wilmot or Answerth. None deserve it and Zorko is the most flexible in can play hff. Maybe Wilmot can move to the wing while Ah Chee is out.

Starc is more lockdown but you could drop him to put Answerth back. Either way we have too many HBF playing ok at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think we were ever going to win last night as the longer the game went on the more our concrete legs from the Cats game with a 5 day break got exposed, but the score at halftime was incredible. I wasn’t even mad, the giants efficiency last night at goal was a thing to behold and really impressive.

I don’t think we were ever going to win last night as the longer the game went on the more our concrete legs from the Cats game with a 5 day break got exposed, but the score at halftime was incredible. I wasn’t even mad, the giants efficiency last night at goal was a thing to behold and really impressive.

Expected score at half time was 49-27 to us! I agree that is amazing.

Lohmann- no where near ready, not strong enough, no weapons. Not quick, weak hands, might come with time. Ah Chee- has to play Lohmanns role, is a threat in the air and can finish. Dunks- looks like he is sick of not getting much help defensively in the middle. Berry- more than earning his keep in my opinion. Neale- make no mistake he is playing hurt and must be sick to death of getting smashed every week. Rayner- get your self involved for f&$k sake, can’t walk around for half the game waiting for something to happen. Be interested to see what another club might be willing to give us. Cameron- Quickest bloke in the league- try laying a tackle. McKenna- injury has hurt him, needs match fitness. Gardiner- done, brings nothing and being played out of position. Hipwood- I just don’t know. Harris and Lester- thank god you are play playing the way you are. Starc- appears to give him all every week, role player playing him role. Payne- hard to play full back with minimal pressure up field. The team itself has lost the fight, once it gets hard we just shrugging the shoulders.

Lohmann- no where near ready, not strong enough, no weapons. Not quick, weak hands, might come with time. Ah Chee- has to play Lohmanns role, is a threat in the air and can finish. Dunks- looks like he is sick of not getting much help defensively in the middle. Berry- more than earning his keep in my opinion. Neale- make no mistake he is playing hurt and must be sick to death of getting smashed every week. Rayner- get your self involved for f&$k sake, can’t walk around for half the game waiting for something to happen. Be interested to see what another club might be willing to give us. Cameron- Quickest bloke in the league- try laying a tackle. McKenna- injury has hurt him, needs match fitness. Gardiner- done, brings nothing and being played out of position. Hipwood- I just don’t know. Harris and Lester- thank god you are play playing the way you are. Starc- appears to give him all every week, role player playing him role. Payne- hard to play full back with minimal pressure up field. The team itself has lost the fight, once it gets hard we just shrugging the shoulders.
Yep.

One thing that really concerns me about the forward line is that no one is able to get separation on their defenders. Every kick to them they have a defender basically on top off them (or the ball goes over their head).

Daniher and Hipwood are not contested markers and do way better on the lead, pushing up and back with speed and agility to give them selves space. Similar with Cameron his best attribute was always speed and getting away from his man. But either they have all slowed way way down, they arent leading properly to create space, or our game plan is way too stagnant and they only lead once the ball is kicked at them

After sleeping on it, I'm hoping we're just a bit burnt out after the last few finals campaigns. Look at Geelong, they went from winning the flag in '22 to finishing 12th last year, now they're back up & about and look likely to be there again on the last day of September.

Moving Zorko off the halfback flank was a poor decision. He’s been our best this season down back and we missed his ball use down there.

Issue is without Kiddy, we need 35yo Zorko to be our best distributor off half back and also our link between the mids and forwards.

Last edited:
One thing that really concerns me about the forward line is that no one is able to get separation on their defenders. Every kick to them they have a defender basically on top off them (or the ball goes over their head).

Daniher and Hipwood are not contested markers and do way better on the lead, pushing up and back with speed and agility to give them selves space. Similar with Cameron his best attribute was always speed and getting away from his man. But either they have all slowed way way down, they arent leading properly to create space, or our game plan is way too stagnant and they only lead once the ball is kicked at them
They can't have lost their pace inside a year. Daniher has been trying hard and Charlie and Hipwood are both out of form.

We're stuck with Hipwood . You just close your eyes and hope every time he gets near it. He's got the tools to be of more value than he is and I'm wondering how we bring that out in him.

GWS only won inside 50s by 53-48, but had 23 tackles inside 50 to our 4.
We've had one game with massive tackling intent against Melbourne and then nothing any other time. Its like we massively hyped that one game up emotionally. And then have nothing else to give every other week.

Started in his old role as half forward with stints in the midfield. He did come back into defense to get the ball later in the game, but I'm not sure if that was a positional move or him pushing back to try and launch an attack or two.
So we found someone to cover for Coleman this year and decided we didn't need it any more. Hmmmmm

Back