Review Round 6, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez that was hard as to witness last nite at the game. It had a sense of inevitability to it.

Deficiencies are still there. As an example. Hipwood has an absurdly long 40m run up line up for goal. I actually expect him.to spray it most times. Can he not change his routine up? Goalkicking coach? Can we put him on a flank?

Forward entries. Bomb long and hope charlie outruns them. Or a contested mark gets snagged. Not happening.

Some players are badly out of form. Bailey. Rayner puts in when he wants.

its v clear we need fresh coaching ideas including a new ruck coach. Fagan should move into player liason head and someone with new ideas brought it.

We also prob have a fitness issue for whatever reason as fagan eluded to a few weeks ago where they focussed less on running in the preseason. We also really lack pace and drive which is clear as with conor out atm

Geez that was hard as to witness last nite at the game. It had a sense of inevitability to it.

Deficiencies are still there. As an example. Hipwood has an absurdly long 40m run up line up for goal. I actually expect him.to spray it most times. Can he not change his routine up? Goalkicking coach? Can we put him on a flank?

Forward entries. Bomb long and hope charlie outruns them. Or a contested mark gets snagged. Not happening.

its v clear we need fresh coaching ideas including a new ruck coach. Fagan should move into player liason head and someone with new ideas brought it.

We also prob have a fitness issue for whatever reason as fagan eluded to a few weeks ago where they focussed less on running in the preseason. We also really lack pace and drive which is clear as with conor out atm
Agree he was terrible last night. Zero disposals. Zero tackles. Trade him off the back of that! 😉

Little things count. Missed kicks in the warm up last nite in front of me.
40m run ups from hipwood that look absurd.
Before the bounce v freo few weeks ago with freo in the shade and us in the blaring sun
Ill discipline from our leaders giving away stupid free kicks

We are miles away from a geelong or sydney in terms of systems. We have v little plan b's and coaches refuse to be proactive and adjust eg cats player playing as a spare defender and rebounding. Players badly out of form still playing.

Any chance HSmith will debut or do we play it safe with Fort?

My only concern would be whether Smith could ruck out a full game.

I think Fort will have to come in, but Smith for Gardiner gives us plenty of flexibility in the ruck and Henry some well earned exposure to AFL level football. Briggs is a unit so don't mind the double teaming either.

Little things count. Missed kicks in the warm up last nite in front of me.
40m run ups from hipwood that look absurd.
Before the bounce v freo few weeks ago with freo in the shade and us in the blaring sun
Ill discipline from our leaders giving away stupid free kicks

We are miles away from a geelong or sydney in terms of systems. We have v little plan b's and coaches refuse to be proactive and adjust eg cats player playing as a spare defender and rebounding. Players badly out of form still playing.
When Charlie had a set shot early my son said to me, Charlie has been missing this exact shot to the right all through the warm up, sure enough it faded to the right for a point.:disappointed:

Its not only Eric's absurd run up which borders on the ridiculous. It's his totally unacceptable body language when it all goes wrong. I often think maybe JB might possibly have a whisper in his shell-like. Put it this way. I don't think he would survive a nano second under Dimma down the road.

As to Rayner. He has shown what he is capable of. He now has a responsibility to.maintain it. Every week. Even when it's wet and horrible and tough.

While on the rant nothing excuses Payne"s lack of physical effort whether in form or not. Unacceptable.

Others here have posted that Berry was among if not our best. Seriously. Again another who looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. If Answorth was dropped was apparently dropped for his crap kicking why isn't he.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Its not only Eric's absurd run up which borders on the ridiculous. It's his totally unacceptable body language when it all goes wrong. I often think maybe JB might possibly have a whisper in his shell-like. Put it this way. I don't think he would survive a nano second under Dimma down the road.

As to Rayner. He has shown what he is capable of. He now has a responsibility to.maintain it. Every week. Even when it's wet and horrible and tough.

While on the rant nothing excuses Payne"s lack of physical effort whether in form or not. Unacceptable.

Others here have posted that Berry was among if not our best. Seriously. Again another who looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. If Answorth was dropped was apparently dropped for his crap kicking why isn't he.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Berry went at 65% the same as McCluggage which is usually not considered good.
But there were 14 other Lions players that went at under 63%.
Coincidently Geelong also had 14 players under 63%.
Not really a night to take to task a players kicking efficiency.

Berry went at 65% the same as McCluggage which is usually not considered good.
But there were 14 other Lions players that went at under 63%.
Coincidently Geelong also had 14 players under 63%.
Not really a night to take to task a players kicking efficiency.
Starting to sound like fagan unfortunately...we played ok and the stats prove it but we ended up getting beaten soundly.

we can also talk about our inefficiency and kicking bucket loads of behinds. And more excuses.

its pretty frustrating when geelong looked better coached and players better positioned than our own.

Imo need fresh ideas as its not working. As in need new coaching ideas

The fact is we have regressed rapidly and our deficiencies are there for all to see.

i keep on thinking watching geelong and sydney play....where the hell do they get all these well drilled, athletic, built players from?! Why cant we be like that?

Little things count. Why the hell would dunkley and starc get a shaved head at the start of the year?! What so sweat goes into their eyes? Love neale but for goodness sake why get a series of tatts at the start of the year with infection risk? Yes football clubs dont own players but do we need to point that out? Small percentages matter

Little things count. Why the hell would dunkley and starc get a shaved head at the start of the year?! What so sweat goes into their eyes? Love neale but for goodness sake why get a series of tatts at the start of the year with infection risk? Yes football clubs dont own players but do we need to point that out? Small percentages matter
Yes we totally lost because of haircuts and tattoos.

Starting to sound like fagan unfortunately...we played ok and the stats prove it but we ended up getting beaten soundly.

we can also talk about our inefficiency and kicking bucket loads of behinds. And more excuses.

its pretty frustrating when geelong looked better coached and players better positioned than our own.

I guess there's truth in that.

But when you're under the pump and your players aren't in prime form and there aren't too many other choices you can't just flick on a switch and implement new ideas and strategies and hope they might work.

We got ourselves primed for Melbourne ,had it in us to execute perfectly and naturally came out with the same fire for the first quarter last night but executed terribly and then had the letdown that was coming and just couldn't get it going again against a disciplined opposition.

It's too late now for fresh ideas this year. We will go with what we've got until we're competitive in the top 8 , or we fail and look at a new plan for 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester had 12 for the entire game and 5 in the 2nd half
You know don’t let the stats get in the way of a good story…

I think stats on defenders need 1%ers - disposals are far from the only impact they have.

Lester seems to be the king of a clever nudge here, an arm out there, a block that slows the opposition even if he doesn't win the ball. Definitely has non disposal impact.

I think stats on defenders need 1%ers - disposals are far from the only impact they have.

Lester seems to be the king of a clever nudge here, an arm out there, a block that slows the opposition even if he doesn't win the ball. Definitely has non disposal impact.
Which confirms my point, in relation to the post that I replied to, is that using stats alone, does not paint a complete picture

I was just correcting you on Berry kicking efficiency especially in a game where the majority of players on the ground sucked at that particular stat because of the conditions.
But if i am starting to sound like Fagan than there are worse people to be compared to.

On a forum you can say "If Answorth was dropped was apparently dropped for his crap kicking why isn't he."
But a statement like that only has credibility if you can at least point to something to back up your assessment.

17 Lions players have played all the 6 games and Berry is ranked 8th at 72.34%.

1713705365206.png

To be fair to Cam he's not going to compare himself to Jarrad Jansen. :D
He probably should have to be fair because he’s only really performing at about that standard albeit Jarrad didn’t ever have a standout quarter like Cam down did against Melbourne.

Additionally , if Cam did compare himself to Jarrad we could at least agree that he exceeded expectations because outside of that it’s safe to say he hasn’t exceeded anything.

The fact is we have regressed rapidly and our deficiencies are there for all to see.

i keep on thinking watching geelong and sydney play....where the hell do they get all these well drilled, athletic, built players from?! Why cant we be like that?

What in the world are you on about

Back