Review Round 6, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely someone who was at the game can answer but was the vision at the ground impaired with how it was bucketing down? Much easier to see on TV with the cameras being so good now than on a rainy night game.
every supporter in bay 227 saw it perfectly well from the wrong side. with the 50m added on it was the worst 10 seconds i have ever seen an umpire pull off

Surely someone who was at the game can answer but was the vision at the ground impaired with how it was bucketing down? Much easier to see on TV with the cameras being so good now than on a rainy night game.

I think you'd need a white cane not to see it.

I could see it sitting in the stand on the other side of the ground and so could thousands of others around the place.

How two umpires within a few metres of the incident couldn't "see" what took place had nothing to do with the weather.

Appalling

Jeremy Cameron will always be a pathetic sniper in my eyes after that Andrews incident. He's always been partial to a dog act/snipe.
Yep, I have never forgotten that incident , I actually didn’t think Harris would get up after it . Was sickening and I have disliked him intensely ever since .
Worse now he plays for Geelong .👎

I don’t understand why we’ve moved to four umpires because they are still missing more than ever. The Clug one, Draper v Crows and you can go on.

Are they poorly trained or what is it that despite having four on the field their positioning is so terrible they’re missing the glaringly obvious?

Don't buy in to such regret.

There wasn't a star performer in that years draft.

Cerra and LDU had a long history of injury as juniors.

Brayshaw was viewed as a "safe pick". He's not on Rowell's level as an inside bull.

Cam's short comings were well documented. It's on our club to put him positions to succeed. The question we have to ask is, are we doing that?

No. Gardiner has his third tall role and we don't give him adequate midfield time. He's essentially playing a generic role player style game instead of being in positions he can be a match winner.

Goes from bad to worse , weather not an excuse, underperforming large egos no heart closer

Carnt win at the Gabba ? Says it all , major arse kicking and few home truths needed

No. Gardiner has his third tall role and we don't give him adequate midfield time. He's essentially playing a generic role player style game instead of being in positions he can be a match winner.
We're struggling Nunez.

He's one guy who could do something.

I presume our brains trust aren't completely stupid. Why then don't they throw him in there for a whole game and see what happens . Obviously for whatever reason they don't think he's up to it.

We had Lyons in there ffs on Saturday night when we were desperate to get some drive out of the M/F and he's languishing in the forward pocket.

It's lost on me.

We're struggling Nunez.

He's one guy who could do something.

I presume our brains trust aren't completely stupid. Why then don't they throw him in there for a whole game and see what happens . Obviously for whatever reason they don't think he's up to it.

We had Lyons in there ffs on Saturday night when we were desperate to get some drive out of the M/F and he's languishing in the forward pocket.

It's lost on me.

Yep. You don’t start from a point of building outwards or around Rayner. But there are tweaks they could make so that he could contribute and influence games more than he can/is now.

Gardiner positional change or dropped and Lyons out will help.

Feels like the coaches will need to release a bit of control to make it happen.

Yep. You don’t start from a point of building outwards or around Rayner. But there are tweaks they could make so that he could contribute and influence games more than he can/is now.

That's it exactly.

Sometimes you need to throw a bit of caution to the wind.

Especially when playing it safe isn't getting you anywhere.

Gardiner forward is a poor choice in a team that has good cattle and needs a spark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly feel like the coaches need to watch tapes on how Petracca and Dusty are used when they play on the ball and give that a go. Even at stoppages, he's often waiting to receive the ball so he can use his strength to try and drive the ball forward. I see much more benefit in letting him be the guy who wins the ball and gets it outside. I understand he isn't as seasoned as Dunkley and Neale is one of the best there is, but Neale is playing hurt and Dunks is not playing the clearance winning role. Rayner should be given the see ball, get ball goal and see how he does. Something tells me he'd show a hell of a lot more consistency if he got the opportunity to - you know - play to his strengths.

If we're not willing to give him that, surely we can give him the third tall role over a ******* defender in Gardiner.

It's almost like the coaches don't know what to do with him and our teams structure is worse off as a result.

It didn’t make much sense given Cam’s game the week before and in a game that was screaming out for a bull to throw their body around in the wet, for us not to give Cam another extended run in there this game. Can only assume the coaches still don’t trust him enough on a full time basis.

Hopefully he gets another go in there against GWS. He’s wasted doing whatever role he’s currently doing.

Yep, I have never forgotten that incident , I actually didn’t think Harris would get up after it . Was sickening and I have disliked him intensely ever since .
Worse now he plays for Geelong .👎

Since that horrible assault on Harris. I have had nothing but contempt for "Jezza"

Harris got a brain bleed from that and I don't recall Cameron ever having expressed any genuine remorse over that incident.

I think he got 6 weeks for it but as far as I'm concerned he should have got 26

Now we see another total grub act against one of our cleanest and most skillful players players (Hugh)and the dirty pr*** gets rewarded with a free kick and a 50 meter penalty

Whats the response from the weak as piss MRO?

A fine.:rolleyes:

Needless to say, I'm not impressed:mad:

Honestly feel like the coaches need to watch tapes on how Petracca and Dusty are used when they play on the ball and give that a go. Even at stoppages, he's often waiting to receive the ball so he can use his strength to try and drive the ball forward. I see much more benefit in letting him be the guy who wins the ball and gets it outside. I understand he isn't as seasoned as Dunkley and Neale is one of the best there is, but Neale is playing hurt and Dunks is not playing the clearance winning role. Rayner should be given the see ball, get ball goal and see how he does. Something tells me he'd show a hell of a lot more consistency if he got the opportunity to - you know - play to his strengths.

If we're not willing to give him that, surely we can give him the third tall role over a ******* defender in Gardiner.

It's almost like the coaches don't know what to do with him and our teams structure is worse off as a result.
They've gotten themselves in a bit of a pickle because for whatever reason they're committed to Gardiner being best 22 and Lyons is always in contention next cab off the rank .

So last week we lost Bailey out of the forward line but still had Gardiner there the whole time. And Lyons on for a half.

There's a lot of legs gone for not much back.

I must be the only one who doesn’t mind Gardiner forward…

I don't mind him, but the fact is he adds very little up forward and is keeping out guys who we absolutely should want to see at AFL level. Morris, Ryan and Smith should be ahead of Dizzy in the forward line.

Or look at what Sydney are doing with Heeney.

I am not to down on Gardiners efforts up forward. He does need to take a shot when within kicking distance though.
Unless we try a swap of Gardiner and Payne there is no one standing up in the VFL demanding to be picked.

Smith is going okay as a ruck/forward but has only kicked 2 goals 6 behinds with 13 marks in his 4 VFL games.
It will be a lot harder at AFL level.
Ryan has only played the last 2 games and kicked 4 goals 2 behinds with 9 marks.

This is not the week to debut a tall forward from the VFL.

I don't mind him, but the fact is he adds very little up forward and is keeping out guys who we absolutely should want to see at AFL level. Morris, Ryan and Smith should be ahead of Dizzy in the forward line.
I don’t watch much reserves but are these guys up to it and do they play the third tall role? We are theoretically in a flag window so doubt we would be prioritising development in the seniors

Last edited:
I don’t watch much reserves but are these guys up to it and do they play the third tall role? We are theoretically in a flag window so doubt we would be prioritising development in the seniors

Smith is, absolutely. Morris is great for a first year forward but will need time.

Ryan has a few weeks under his belt and is good to go, although would have him behind Smith.

I am not to down on Gardiners efforts up forward. He does need to take a shot when within kicking distance though.
Unless we try a swap of Gardiner and Payne there is no one standing up in the VFL demanding to be picked.

Smith is going okay as a ruck/forward but has only kicked 2 goals 6 behinds with 13 marks in his 4 VFL games.
It will be a lot harder at AFL level.
Ryan has only played the last 2 games and kicked 4 goals 2 behinds with 9 marks.

This is not the week to debut a tall forward from the VFL.

It’s never about effort with Gardiner, he always puts in everything he has. Great team man.

But the output is no good. Imo having a negative effect on our forward SYNERGY.

Back