Game Day Round 7, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of starting a gimmick where I open gameday threads with terrible jokes.

Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.

As usual this game probably comes down to how Neale performs and whether or not we can get on top in clearances.

Didn’t realise GWS had such a shallow midfield

Matchups; Dunks to Green, Idun to Charlie?, Ward to Neale?

Down back maybe Payne to Hogan, Lester to Cadman, Starce to Daniels and Andrew to Riccardi?

Perfect weather for Cam 🐐 Rayner to dominate. I feel it in my bones Elixuh

Its Happening GIF by MOODMAN

Gotta wonder how much last week took out of us in those putrid conditions (one of the reasons I've tipped the Blews to knock off the Cats). Melbourne were mostly awful last night which flatters our win against them two weeks ago. Oscar is an average ruck, but better than Fort. Obviously want it the other way around, but even without Greene I'm anticipating GWS getting the better of us. If we drop this one we could be sitting below WC on the ladder if they can pull another rabbit out of the hat (without Harley, mind). LOL.

Very tough decision re the sub for tonight, the 5 named on the bench are McKenna, Lohmann, Tunstill, Ah Chee, Answerth.

IMO Tunstill deserves another crack at it, I'd go with Ah Chee as the sub but wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Tunstill.

Forecast in Canberra today is mostly sunny with a top of 18.

Very similar day to 22 April last year when we played the Saturday 4:35 game.

That game started in glorious late afternoon sunshine and perfect conditions. But right on sunset (5:31pm, based on AFL Tables this was the 17 minute mark of the 2nd quarter, which matches my recollection), the game suddenly and rapidly morphed into a wet weather game, as heavy dew set in very quickly and the ball became wet and slippery.

That evening we responded by far the better, kicking 7 of the next 8 goals to convert a 6 point lead to a 41 point lead at the 17 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. Before of course we had our customary late game fade out to win by only 21.

So regardless of the forecast, I'm expecting tonight's conditions to be quite slippery, and if so it will be interesting to see how, or if, we're able to respond appropriately to this.

In the (surprising) event that conditions stay dry, as I mentioned in the Geelong thread last week, I think we will benefit from being able to change the pace with which we move the ball forward. I think there will be a time and place for the patient build up we saw against Melbourne, but, provided we defend well, at times there will be opportunities to catch the orange tsunami out on a fast rebound.

I feel as though our kicks to contests inside 50 have been a bit too shallow and this is affecting our ability to (a) lock the ball in our 50 and (b) get good looks at goal. Our inside 50 entry to shot at goal ratio is in the toilet, and I think this could be remedied by making a bit more of an effort to get within 75m before kicking long inside 50. This ensures we get a deep entry within 25 of goal, rather than a shallower entry which will allow the Giants more width to rebound at pace.

So our mid-arc transition needs to be more cohesive, with more off-ball movement to create space for others. It's been okay but there is absolutely scope for improvement here. Provided our defence stands up this will probably be the deciding factor in tonight's result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bizarre a start to the season as this has been, I do feel confident about tonight.

Maybe it's just blind denial, but I haven't been as doom and gloom as some.. By all metrics/data we're playing close to premiership quality Footy. Yet, we're 2-4.. Aside from the Freo game and the Carlton fade-out.. I feel we've been stronger than our opposition in all areas bar one. Our mids are looking good, our defense has been brilliant considering Payne's shaky start and the loss of Coleman and McKenna. The bizarre part is that where we're being let down is where we've had our biggest strength in years gone by.. our ability to lock the ball Inside 50 and convert. Our offense just hasn't fired up this season.

I believe that if we can find out offensive game again, we'll see the Lions we're used to seeing. I can pass the first month off as players out of form & our typical routine of starting seasons slowly etc.. But there's no form or wet-weather mulligans tonight. If it's the same story again.. then something needs to change. We simply have too much talent and the groups been playing together for too long to lose our biggest weapon in a matter of 6 months.

No pressure.

AFL Lions v Giants: Brisbane’s top four blueprint is now wins on the road​

Brisbane now needs a historic run away from home to finish in the top four and the first crucial step is knocking off a depleted GWS on Thursday night.

The Brisbane Lions have been gifted a lifeline from the football gods in the form of a depleted GWS Giants on the road in Canberra – one they must take advantage of or risk the season slipping away.
With three consecutive losses at home to open the campaign, the Lions have already lost more games at the Gabba than any of the past five seasons.

Brisbane’s predictable top four finishes under Fagan have been built on home ground dominance but that has disappeared in 2024 in the wake of defeats to Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong.

It makes manufacturing wins on the road even more pivotal if last season’s grand finalists hope to again feature in the upper reaches of the top eight.

Over that same five-year span the Lions have never won more than six games away from home. In fact aside from the Covid-impacted 2020 campaign, which was played almost exclusively in Queensland, Brisbane has won exactly six games on the road each year since 2019.

The MCG win over Melbourne a fortnight ago was a crucial victory in the context of the season and Thursday night’s Giants clash could be even more important.

Coleman Medal leader Jesse Hogan may have escaped his one-match ban at the tribunal on Tuesday night, however fellow superstar forward Toby Greene will miss the Anzac Day blockbuster after his suspension was upheld.

Greene’s absence adds to a string of significant outs for the Giants, alongside Sam Taylor (concussion) and Stephen Coniglio (knee).

Small forward Brent Daniels will also be a gameday test after managing knee soreness through the week.

Carlton provided the blueprint to knocking off the Giants last weekend when tall tandem Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay blew the game open with a stunning third quarter

The Giants’ back six was significantly weakened by the absence of Taylor, arguably the best key defender in the game, and the Blues cashed in when it counted.

Now Brisbane, with Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood at the helm, must do the same or risk watching the season slip away.

Lose on Thursday and the Lions will fall to 2-5 – 0-3 at home and 2-2 on the road.

Even if they win their remaining eight home games – far from a certainty given their current run of Gabba form and tricky fixture – it would still leave them on 14 wins for the season, assuming they hit their annual six wins on the road.

That would leave the Lions two short of the 16-win top four cut-off which has been the benchmark over the past two seasons.

GWS may be depleted but Brisbane is not without its own injury headaches.

Zac Bailey’s high ankle sprain will keep him off the field for at least the next month, severely impacting the Lions’ midfield rotation.

But more importantly the loss of incumbent ruck Oscar McInerney to concussion protocols significantly hampers their stoppage game – an area they will want to take advantage of against the Giants.

The Lions entered last weekend’s clash with Geelong as the top-ranked clearance differential team in the AFL, but have dropped to third after the Cats narrowly beat them in that category.

McInerney was sorely missed in the second half as the Cats ran over the top of the Lions in the wet and his absence will be felt once more against the Giants, who rank 16th for clearance differential and were blitzed by the Blues in that area last round.

If Fagan’s side still dares to dream of the double chance, it needs to produce a historically strong season on the road to make it happen.

Knocking off the Giants in Canberra is the crucial first step.

Yay another game starting late with an early start in the morning :(

I presume the default excuse (should one be needed) will be how tired we were from the slog in the wet (although if that was going to be an issue maybe some fresher bodies?)

Hopefully no excuses needed and Rayner and Fagan will get another week of praise and support :)

Yay another game starting late with an early start in the morning :(

I presume the default excuse (should one be needed) will be how tired we were from the slog in the wet (although if that was going to be an issue maybe some fresher bodies?)

Hopefully no excuses needed and Rayner and Fagan will get another week of praise and support :)

Tonight will be the type of legendary performance from Cam that Danster will tell his grandchildren about.

No pressure.

AFL Lions v Giants: Brisbane’s top four blueprint is now wins on the road​

Brisbane now needs a historic run away from home to finish in the top four and the first crucial step is knocking off a depleted GWS on Thursday night.

The Brisbane Lions have been gifted a lifeline from the football gods in the form of a depleted GWS Giants on the road in Canberra – one they must take advantage of or risk the season slipping away.
With three consecutive losses at home to open the campaign, the Lions have already lost more games at the Gabba than any of the past five seasons.

Brisbane’s predictable top four finishes under Fagan have been built on home ground dominance but that has disappeared in 2024 in the wake of defeats to Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong.

It makes manufacturing wins on the road even more pivotal if last season’s grand finalists hope to again feature in the upper reaches of the top eight.

Over that same five-year span the Lions have never won more than six games away from home. In fact aside from the Covid-impacted 2020 campaign, which was played almost exclusively in Queensland, Brisbane has won exactly six games on the road each year since 2019.

The MCG win over Melbourne a fortnight ago was a crucial victory in the context of the season and Thursday night’s Giants clash could be even more important.

Coleman Medal leader Jesse Hogan may have escaped his one-match ban at the tribunal on Tuesday night, however fellow superstar forward Toby Greene will miss the Anzac Day blockbuster after his suspension was upheld.

Greene’s absence adds to a string of significant outs for the Giants, alongside Sam Taylor (concussion) and Stephen Coniglio (knee).

Small forward Brent Daniels will also be a gameday test after managing knee soreness through the week.

Carlton provided the blueprint to knocking off the Giants last weekend when tall tandem Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay blew the game open with a stunning third quarter

The Giants’ back six was significantly weakened by the absence of Taylor, arguably the best key defender in the game, and the Blues cashed in when it counted.

Now Brisbane, with Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood at the helm, must do the same or risk watching the season slip away.

Lose on Thursday and the Lions will fall to 2-5 – 0-3 at home and 2-2 on the road.

Even if they win their remaining eight home games – far from a certainty given their current run of Gabba form and tricky fixture – it would still leave them on 14 wins for the season, assuming they hit their annual six wins on the road.

That would leave the Lions two short of the 16-win top four cut-off which has been the benchmark over the past two seasons.

GWS may be depleted but Brisbane is not without its own injury headaches.

Zac Bailey’s high ankle sprain will keep him off the field for at least the next month, severely impacting the Lions’ midfield rotation.

But more importantly the loss of incumbent ruck Oscar McInerney to concussion protocols significantly hampers their stoppage game – an area they will want to take advantage of against the Giants.

The Lions entered last weekend’s clash with Geelong as the top-ranked clearance differential team in the AFL, but have dropped to third after the Cats narrowly beat them in that category.

McInerney was sorely missed in the second half as the Cats ran over the top of the Lions in the wet and his absence will be felt once more against the Giants, who rank 16th for clearance differential and were blitzed by the Blues in that area last round.

If Fagan’s side still dares to dream of the double chance, it needs to produce a historically strong season on the road to make it happen.

Knocking off the Giants in Canberra is the crucial first step.
First paragraph they mention we a playing a depleted GWS.

Mentioned much later in the article is oh yer the Lions have their injury troubles as well, arguably IMO we are more "depleted" than the Giants(Bailey, McInerney, Coleman, Ashcroft, Doedee) but that wouldn't suit them setting up a narrative for next weeks media shite fest if we lose, can see the headline... Lions can't beat severely depleted Giants.

Perfect weather for Cam 🐐 Rayner to dominate. I feel it in my bones Elixuh

I was at golf and didn’t give this beautiful post the attention it deserved. What I wanted to say was…

1714013252678.gif

When Rayner is the GOAT then Danster has my permission to die.

I was at golf and didn’t give this beautiful post the attention it deserved. What I wanted to say was…

View attachment 1970278

When Rayner is the GOAT then Danster has my permission to die.

"What happens if Rayner plays in the midfield?"

"It would be extremely painful... For you"

Going to Nick Cave and Colin Greenwood tonight in Melbourne. Less stressful.
Thanks for the ‘like’ Grasshopper17 - even though we have been on opposing sides of the barricades this week, I respect you as a poster and look forward to your input. If we win and all of my "whipping boys" play well, don't forget to give me a hard time in the Review Thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back