Review Round 7, 2024 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

f3d8b0dbeecd9da897ee7ad40f3e3756.jpg

I haven't wanted a match to end so badly since Demons in 22. Absolute gutter football, lack of effort, no pace, just absolutely pathetic. The number of times GWS just walked out of defence and into their forward line was ridiculous. I saw numerous occasions where we had players just watching them, not even a thought of trying to lay a tackle.

And the dump kicks into 50, for f"*K sake!!! It is a useless strategy, our forwards are not marking it, why can't we stop with it already. Dizzy is an absolute spud as a forward, if there's no room in defence, bench him because I'd rather get Morris in. Though ideally go back to Rayner.

We just look like an absolute basket case of a team right now, it's truly embarrassing.

This performance has to be the catalyst for serious change
One can only hope. I personally don’t think Fages and his match committee have the balls. They dont trust anyone outside of about 26 odd players and too stubborn and set in their ways to change the structure. They pretty much expect doing the same thing over and over again will net different results.

One can only hope. I personally don’t think Fages and his match committee have the balls. They dont trust anyone outside of about 26 odd players and too stubborn and set in their ways to change the structure. They pretty much expect doing the same thing over and over again will net different results.
Grasshopper17 - Nick Cave was sold out. Prophetically, this was his last song of the night.

This is pretty representative of our S24 to date

View attachment 1971037
Hey McIvor, I thankfully missed the game. How did Lester go? His numbers looked good. What about Hipwood? Was he as terrible as his numbers look? Did Gardiner play forward? I imagine he didn’t set it alight? Thoughts? 💭

Hey McIvor, I thankfully missed the game. How did Lester go? His numbers looked good. What about Hipwood? Was he as terrible as his numbers look? Did Gardiner play forward? I imagine he didn’t set it alight? Thoughts? 💭
Lester; again outstanding and continuing to demonstrate what we always knew.

Hipwood; forgettable again. Still takes his position for granted and knows whilst Fagan is coach, he’ll be selected.

Gardiner; the less said the better. Whose hair brain scheme was it to move him forward? He’s clueless and Fagan still seems wedded to the move? Why; I’ll never have any idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gardiner experiment is even stranger when we recruited Ryan and have Morris playing fairly well in the reserves.

Meanwhile the Giants casually brought in one of their kids who ran rings around our best players tonight.

There's limited spots in that forward line. If Hipwood has an off night, we can't afford to be relying on someone as slow and clumsy as Darcy to be taking marks and kicking goals.

The Gardiner experiment is even stranger when we recruited Ryan and have Morris playing fairly well in the reserves.

Meanwhile the Giants casually brought in one of their kids who ran rings around our best players tonight.

There's limited spots in that forward line. If Hipwood has an off night, we can't afford to be relying on someone as slow and clumsy as Darcy to be taking marks and kicking goals.
100% agree, the experiment has to end. In saying that, I don't think Gardiner has been bad. He tries hard, creates a contest and competes. At the end of the day it's just like having a -1 in the fwd line. Maybe he's blocking space, maybe he's clogging it up in there. Go back to 2 talls and Rayner please :moustache:

It’s time to start the rebuild. The longer we hold off the longer it will be until we be not competing for a flag again. We had our 5 years of finals and now we’re done. Missed a flag but had some fun..

Teams know how to play us now and if they slow us down and make us bomb it into 50, we are completely unsuited to this style with our key forwards. We have won the inside 50s most weeks this year but they have been very low quality ones.

Also it has been the case for a few years now that we don't really have a plan b when things go wrong, we are very bad at arresting momentum etc., we've been good enough to get around that but our flaws are really catching up to us this year, not to mention injuries to key players, tough draw, short pre-season and the earliest start to an AFL season ever, the whole league has improved now so if you're just a tiny bit flat you are going to get pasted, it's all of this together IMO.

Next 4 weeks we play GC, Adelaide, Richmond, Hawthorn, we will start favs in all 4 of them, I'm not giving up on the season yet, needs to be some adjustments to the game plan and probably attitude too though. Losers GF curse appears to be a real thing.

Last edited:
Decidedly pedestrian effort.

Skill execution paralysis as a general malaise suggests attitude as much as anything needs a review. Perhaps we believe(d) the off season efforts have enhanced our chances for September?

The issue with that immediately is that it is April now, not September. September is both a long way off but very close, depending on your metric.

Either way, it's still April.

I didn't watch last night very closely, did Zorko play off halfback?

Started in his old role as half forward with stints in the midfield. He did come back into defense to get the ball later in the game, but I'm not sure if that was a positional move or him pushing back to try and launch an attack or two.

Back