Review Round 4, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Papering over cracks. Deadset, Gardiner, unless he replaces Payne or Hipwood, Fagan needs to bite the bullet and keep him out of the team. We need another runner through the midfield. Rayner isn't a midfielder's a-hole, he is the 3rd tall forward, taking Gardiner's spot. Starcevich is all at sea at the moment, is he going bald and struggling with this? Something is not right with him. Our shape around the contest is questionable at best, we exposed a weak Roos, not sure Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Co will be as accommodating.

Whilst I do think Logan Morris could've taken Gardiner's spot yesterday, Gardiner was not that bad. He's just gaining confidence.

Got to remember that he's never played as a forward. A few years ago, when he was in a scoring position, he would not have confidence in taking a shot and would pass it.

Yesterday, he took two shots himself, with one goal. Both shots made the distance. Probably had a couple of assists as well.

Playing Gardiner up forward still feels trying to fit him in the team somewhere. Maybe the plan will be to play him in a defensive role on Lever or May next week.

Gardiner will show why he deserves that place next week. He is there precisely to play against top teams key position playmakers. It's unfortunate he didn't play against Collingwood (vs Moore) and Carlton doesn't have a designated playmaker in my view who is a tall. Fremantle game wasn't a good sample as Payne was ditched and we moved Darcy back.

We've screwed around without settling him down in that 3rd tall forward yet, I hope Payne holds good form so we can see what Darcy can do against May, Stewart and Taylor. Darcy competed well yesterday and it was a good tune up game for him before the next 3 games.

We've screwed around without settling him down in that 3rd tall forward yet, I hope Payne holds good form so we can see what Darcy can do against May, Stewart and Taylor. Darcy competed well yesterday and it was a good tune up game for him before the next 3 games.
Agree Gardiner did fine and has not been able to settle into that role having to move into defense covering Payne in opening Round.
Knee knock playing forward in the 1st quarter v Dockers and subbed off at half time. Missed the Pies game and returned for North.
Hopefully Payne comes good as in last years good. He also was fine yesterday against a bottom side.
I think we all would have liked to see how young Morris would go against modest opposition but that was not to be.
They rewarded him as emergency, and he got to travel with the side. His time will come maybe v Suns if his form holds up.

We beat north by 70 points on a strange new ground so that is a positive.
If Bailey and Neals get up i don't see any changes.

Last edited:

Wilmott is a very intelligent footballer. Even when he hasn’t got it, he’s doing something useful. Great to see him and Zorko doing what you’d expect from kiddy and
McKenna.
Lester is phenomenal. Does he ever lose a contest? Gets straight on with it too. Creative and provides options every time. You want it in his hands now.
Answerth hitting targets more and more regularly.
Lachie at his best is just a joy to watch.

Wilmott is a very intelligent footballer. Even when he hasn’t got it, he’s doing something useful. Great to see him and Zorko doing what you’d expect from kiddy and
McKenna.
Lester is phenomenal. Does he ever lose a contest? Gets straight on with it too. Creative and provides options every time. You want it in his hands now.
Answerth hitting targets more and more regularly.
Lachie at his best is just a joy to watch.

I think Lester was quite good offensively yesterday but I'm a little worried we're carrying too many defenders that we have to try and hide on softer opponents. Got burnt a couple of times by Curtis yesterday. On Thursday he'll likely have van Rooyen with Starce on Fritsch

Was watching the replay this morning and it really stood out how well Hipwood competed in the ruck. I wonder if - similar to Joe - we could look at giving him more time in the ruck? Know he's not a physical specimen, but did very well when competing and even won 3 clearances (for one goal, one shot at goal that fell short and one I can't remember). All against Xerri who is a very good ruck.

Especially with Joe getting on in years, it could be a great way of getting Eric more involved.

Was watching the replay this morning and it really stood out how well Hipwood competed in the ruck. I wonder if - similar to Joe - we could look at giving him more time in the ruck? Know he's not a physical specimen, but did very well when competing and even won 3 clearances (for one goal, one shot at goal that fell short and one I can't remember). All against Xerri who is a very good ruck.

Especially with Joe getting on in years, it could be a great way of getting Eric more involved.

I like giving Eel some time in the ruck. I think his application has now been very consistent for a while and it’s just getting him involved and the confidence up early.

Excellent idea.

Hippy and Daniher swap roles.

Still get the benefit of Daniher playing up the ground as he does when he's in the ruck , which has been very influential.

Brings Hipwood into the game and takes the pressure off being a permanent forward which he sometimes struggles with.

Plus I don't see much difference between the 2 re their efforts in the ruck.

It could fall flat on its face but the logic of it is evident.

Excellent idea.

Hippy and Daniher swap roles.

Still get the benefit of Daniher playing up the ground as he does when he's in the ruck , which has been very influential.

Brings Hipwood into the game and takes the pressure off being a permanent forward which he sometimes struggles with.

Plus I don't see much difference between the 2 re their efforts in the ruck.

It could fall flat on its face but the logic of it is evident.

I think Danihers spread from the ruck contest is quite valuable and I'm not sure Hipwood has the same instinct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Danihers spread from the ruck contest is quite valuable and I'm not sure Hipwood has the same instinct
Maybe when Oscar is resting we can play Daniher at centre bounce and around the ground but Hippy when the ball is in the forward 50.

Maybe when Oscar is resting we can play Daniher at centre bounce and around the ground but Hippy when the ball is in the forward 50.
I'm definitely liking the idea of getting Hipwood more involved with bringing others into the game rather than worried about what his form /goal kicking is like , without losing the benefits that Daniher brings when he's up the ground.

Lohmann did well today. He's got the capacity to cover a bit of ground as a small forward.

Cam doesn't have the tank or the consistent smarts to play M/F imo for all that we are willing he could. As for flying for the specs from the back the opposition sweep it away every time when he should be crumbing.

How's a bloke going to play footy with a name like Romeo.

I hope he's tough.

Rayner has the smarts but not the tank. It's frustrating as we all know Cam is loaded with talent and x-factor.

Gardiner will show why he deserves that place next week. He is there precisely to play against top teams key position playmakers. It's unfortunate he didn't play against Collingwood (vs Moore) and Carlton doesn't have a designated playmaker in my view who is a tall. Fremantle game wasn't a good sample as Payne was ditched and we moved Darcy back.

Playing Gardiner forward provides us with maximum flexibility in team structure.

If a defender gets injured or is getting stitched up, we have the option of swinging Darcy back.

Much better idea than playing both Fort and Oscar , neither of whom have the capability to slot into defender's role if required.

If the season turns to trash or if injuries dictate, sure....bring in Logan Morris to play the third tall forward but as long as we're still alive, I get why Fagan is sticking to the most seasoned and experienced players to do the job for us

Playing Gardiner forward provides us with maximum flexibility in team structure.

If a defender gets injured or is getting stitched up, we have the option of swinging Darcy back.

Much better idea than playing both Fort and Oscar , neither of whom have the capability to slot into defender's role if required.

If the season turns to trash or if injuries dictate, sure....bring in Logan Morris to play the third tall forward but as long as we're still alive, I get why Fagan is sticking to the most seasoned and experienced players to do the job for us
Seeing Geelongs structure a few times this year I’m more convinced than ever that our best set up is Eric, Joe and Cam permanently as the third tall with a combo of Charlie, Linc, Zac and Kai as our forward mix. Cam is more than capable of playing third tall or dynamic leading forward provided they all work out who is leading where they etc

Seeing Geelongs structure a few times this year I’m more convinced than ever that our best set up is Eric, Joe and Cam permanently as the third tall with a combo of Charlie, Linc, Zac and Kai as our forward mix. Cam is more than capable of playing third tall or dynamic leading forward provided they all work out who is leading where they etc
Happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see Dizz as being a permanent forward. I think we're just trying to find a slot for him.

Back