Review Round 4, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

First of 3 trips to Adelaide done- why do we have to have away games against Adelaide and Port in back to back years, as we did in 2023? It seems like an excessive amount of travel, haven't been through 2 years of the draw but I doubt many teams have 3 trips to SA in back to back years.

First of 3 trips to Adelaide done- why do we have to have away games against Adelaide and Port in back to back years, as we did in 2023? It seems like an excessive amount of travel, haven't been through 2 years of the draw but I doubt many teams have 3 trips to SA in back to back years.
Are we playing both Perth teams away as well?

oh and i can now see what people see in lohmann. just needs to work on his intensity when he hasn't got the ball....ie he's lazy
Is it that he's lazy or that he's finally taking his time?

In other AFL level games he's played, it always seemed like he was rushing 24/7. On Friday it seemed like he figured out how to compose himself and play the game.

I still have a great dislike for May. His late shot, knocking Stef out, and he knocked someone else out too, turned me right off him. Who was that other player knocked out? Was it Rockliffe?
being beaten up by 2 teammates, in different teams probably gives a good incite to the type of bloke he is.

If memory serves correctly, didn't Dizzy get into the head of a player in his first year to the point said player talked s**t about him in the media?

If only I could remember who it was...

Dizz is an absolute weird unit on the field by all reports. I remember Xavier Ellis telling a story about playing on him and he kept hearing this weird noise behind him, eventually figured out Gardiner was just sitting there hissing at him

Whiting noticed too !

That injury list is insane. Gotta wonder about the facial injuries and screws and the possibility of further injury.

Sometimes I think there should be a 'you're done' call made on players behalf. They'll never give it away, but maybe they should.

There's a lot of life after footy.

Dizz is an absolute weird unit on the field by all reports. I remember Xavier Ellis telling a story about playing on him and he kept hearing this weird noise behind him, eventually figured out Gardiner was just sitting there hissing at him

He has that junkyard dog nickname for a reason I guess. I remember when Dizzy got moved to Curnow in OR it became a big tussle and Curnow did not like it. I think Dizzy got flipped and thrown to ground even at some point. He doesnt take a backward step and makes life a misery for the forward. Payne should take a leaf out of Dizzy's book and start to play mean.

He has that junkyard dog nickname for a reason I guess. I remember when Dizzy got moved to Curnow in OR it became a big tussle and Curnow did not like it. I think Dizzy got flipped and thrown to ground even at some point. He doesnt take a backward step and makes life a misery for the forward. Payne should take a leaf out of Dizzy's book and start to play mean.

Payne seems to be a mix between Adams and Andrews, neither of which were/are Gardiner's kind of player. Gardiner's grunt and edge can't be taught, you have it or you don't.

Papering over cracks. Deadset, Gardiner, unless he replaces Payne or Hipwood, Fagan needs to bite the bullet and keep him out of the team. We need another runner through the midfield. Rayner isn't a midfielder's a-hole, he is the 3rd tall forward, taking Gardiner's spot. Starcevich is all at sea at the moment, is he going bald and struggling with this? Something is not right with him. Our shape around the contest is questionable at best, we exposed a weak Roos, not sure Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Co will be as accommodating.
Really like Gardiner as the 3rd tall forward. Remember he's played that role literally twice and it will take time to learn. The three most important parts is that

• He gets to good spots
  • He competes in the air; and
  • He adds to our forward pressure when the ball hits the ground, which was badly needed compared to the Freo and Collingwood games
So in the meantime I'm very happy to give him time to grow into the other nuances involved in the role. And hopefully in the meantime guys like Morris and Ryan come along even quicker so they go past him in the tall forward pecking order.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really like Gardiner as the 3rd tall forward. Remember he's played that role literally twice and it will take time to learn. The three most important parts is that

• He gets to good spots
  • He adds to our forward pressure when the ball hits the ground, which was badly needed compared to the Freo and Collingwood games
So in the meantime I'm very happy to give him time to grow into the other nuances involved in the role. And hopefully in the meantime guys like Morris and Ryan come along even quicker so they go past him in the tall forward pecking order.
My point is less about Gardiner and more about the role and team balance. I don't see Rayner as capable of being a midfielder and therefore look at him as the 3rd tall option. This role is currently being filled by Gardiner. It just feels like our team balance is out.

My point is less about Gardiner and more about the role and team balance. I don't see Rayner as capable of being a midfielder and therefore look at him as the 3rd tall option. This role is currently being filled by Gardiner. It just feels like our team balance is out.

I still think his value as a forward is at ground level. Has taken some big marks but missed a lot of others.

best training session I’ve been to where every player signed things etc - boys laughing smiling - seem a very happy bunch - let’s hope we can do it tomorrow night🦁
After the Collingwood game my finger spent a good few minutes hovering over the "cancel" button on my flight to Melbourne tomorrow... But I decided to wait until after the North game to cancel.

Now I'm flying to Melbourne tomorrow 🤷

I wrote this somewhere else but it's the hope that kills you...

Was watching the replay this morning and it really stood out how well Hipwood competed in the ruck. I wonder if - similar to Joe - we could look at giving him more time in the ruck? Know he's not a physical specimen, but did very well when competing and even won 3 clearances (for one goal, one shot at goal that fell short and one I can't remember). All against Xerri who is a very good ruck.

Especially with Joe getting on in years, it could be a great way of getting Eric more involved.
Completely agree and would like to see us reprise this against Melbourne tomorrow. He won't beat Gawn but

• it gets him involved in the game
  • it'll create mismatches in our forward line (what does his direct opponent do?)
  • his pressure and tackling is decent if the ball comes to ground; and
  • it allows our actual ruckman to play a kick behind the play to intercept, provided our forward pressure is up to par.

Maybe when Oscar is resting we can play Daniher at centre bounce and around the ground but Hippy when the ball is in the forward 50.
Yes I certainly wouldn't be advocating Eric take any stoppages outside our forward 50. But I think it's a good strategy to give our actual ruckman at that time (Oscar or Joe) a short break while still allowing them to remain on the field.

Yes I certainly wouldn't be advocating Eric take any stoppages outside our forward 50. But I think it's a good strategy to give our actual ruckman at that time (Oscar or Joe) a short break while still allowing them to remain on the field.
And allows them to sit a kick behind the play as an extra marking option as you mentioned above, which might make the oppo team think twice and slow them down.

After the Collingwood game my finger spent a good few minutes hovering over the "cancel" button on my flight to Melbourne tomorrow... But I decided to wait until after the North game to cancel.

Have faith brother.

I feel something good will happen tomorrow night

You're in for a treat my friend. I believe!

Have faith brother.

I feel something good will happen tomorrow night

You're in for a treat my friend. I believe!

Yeah I agree. Reckon we're a real chance.

But just case, Grasshopper17 don't be afraid to put down $50 on the Dees for a win as emotional insurance ;)

• He gets to good spots
I’ve been against the 3 tall setup for a while but, Gardiner at 192cm and with his speed and intensity doesn’t really come with the same drawbacks that a more traditional 3 tall set up has had for us. I’m also trusting Gardeners effort and intent to stop the oppo carrying the ball out of our 50 than anyone bar Linc. I suspect he is a bit quicker than Rayner and has a better tank.

I’m still not convinced it’s the right call but he’s barely a tall and as much as we all want Rayner to break out and become a star, if Gardiner can be consistent and do his role every week and be a solid contributor I would pick that over the off chance Rayner might break a game open every now and then.

Back