Review Round 4, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be proven wrong but I just don't see Dizz as being a permanent forward. I think we're just trying to find a slot for him.
Either do I.

It’s one knock on the coaches I have is that I think often times they don’t play players in roles that are there strengths. I get that you want players to have more than one string to their bow and provide depth say for the midfield, but Dizz probably shouldn’t be in the seniors and is the next KPD cab off the rank after Harris, Payne and Lester.

Personally I think Cam should be played as our third tall up forward.

oh and i can now see what people see in lohmann. just needs to work on his intensity when he hasn't got the ball....ie he's lazy

He definitely looks laconic doesn't he. Interestingly enough he had 20 pressure acts - the second most of any Lion. I think the intent was there - more a matter of him needing to understand when it's go time. Easy to forget that was just his second full game at AFL level (unless my brain is playing tricks on me).

He definitely looks laconic doesn't he. Interestingly enough he had 20 pressure acts - the second most of any Lion. I think the intent was there - more a matter of him needing to understand when it's go time. Easy to forget that was just his second full game at AFL level (unless my brain is playing tricks on me).
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Kai was great against North and looked like he finally belonged.

Was thinking he might be in for a Rising Star nom but there been a few very good performances from other first year name players that will probably get the gong.

What’s impressed me most at all levels with Kai is his overhead marking and his cleanness in that he is very one grab unlike others that are two bites - not sure I explained that right.

Kai was great against North and looked like he finally belonged.

Was thinking he might be in for a Rising Star nom but there been a few very good performances from other first year name players that will probably get the gong.

What’s impressed me most at all levels with Kai is his overhead marking and his cleanness in that he is very one grab unlike others that are two bites - not sure I explained that right.
I especially liked the way that other team members were happy to use him ... sometimes players can get into position but just tend to be ignored but it looks like him mates are happy to comply when he gets into a position to demand the ball.

Good signs. :)

The narrow ground made us fight n scrap, chase n tackle in the middle. We did that well for the first half. Buttoned off in the 3rd and lost the qtr by 2 points. Against better teams that could have been 24. Tried to wrestle it back in the last, was somewhat successful but again could have been over run by a better team. Overall a much better performance, still some vulnerabilities after half time and last qtr finishing, but effort, attitude were much better and a bit of form is creeping back into a lot of players. The result from the ground we played on and team we played could be a bit of a false positive. I'd rather see it as a good step in the right direction in any case.

Worth sticking with this team, can't see the need for any changes. I think a lot of players remembered what was needed to win. Best game I've seen from Dunkley in a long time. Wilmot getting better all the time. I think the responsibility he's taken without Kiddy n Mckenna is doing him the world of good. Berry and Answerth were good. Getting better the more they play. I've got a bit more confidence in Berry if he's given a job on Oliver or Petracca next week. Lohmann has earnt a few more games no doubt. Hippy and Joe worked better together, both seemed to have more space. I don't mind Hippy doing some ruck work, I'd rather it close to goal than up the ground tho. Like Hawkins. Close to goal, as long as he gets in the way and the ball hits the ground he's done his job. Payne looking more comfortable. Picked up a nice half volley on the run at one stage, more confident in himself.

Different kettle of fish next week, the next few weeks in reality. Certainly a glimmer of hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The narrow ground made us fight n scrap, chase n tackle in the middle. We did that well for the first half. Buttoned off in the 3rd and lost the qtr by 2 points. Against better teams that could have been 24. Tried to wrestle it back in the last, was somewhat successful but again could have been over run by a better team. Overall a much better performance, still some vulnerabilities after half time and last qtr finishing, but effort, attitude were much better and a bit of form is creeping back into a lot of players. The result from the ground we played on and team we played could be a bit of a false positive. I'd rather see it as a good step in the right direction in any case.

Worth sticking with this team, can't see the need for any changes. I think a lot of players remembered what was needed to win. Best game I've seen from Dunkley in a long time. Wilmot getting better all the time. I think the responsibility he's taken without Kiddy n Mckenna is doing him the world of good. Berry and Answerth were good. Getting better the more they play. I've got a bit more confidence in Berry if he's given a job on Oliver or Petracca next week. Lohmann has earnt a few more games no doubt. Hippy and Joe worked better together, both seemed to have more space. I don't mind Hippy doing some ruck work, I'd rather it close to goal than up the ground tho. Like Hawkins. Close to goal, as long as he gets in the way and the ball hits the ground he's done his job. Payne looking more comfortable. Picked up a nice half volley on the run at one stage, more confident in himself.

Different kettle of fish next week, the next few weeks in reality. Certainly a glimmer of hope.
Good summary - we will certainly know where we are at in 2024 over the next 3 weeks.

While we have you here Donald, would you support a storming of the Lions HQ to overthrow the current administration if we go 1-6? Perhaps a Skase style ownership run by your good self?

And if you give the Vic Park stadium the go ahead, I don't mind if you award the contract to your own building company.

If we're going to continue with Gardiner up forward I think we should also use him as second ruck.......given Joe is less than hopeless and Eric is a bit fragile maybe Darcy could body up their second ruck and drop the ball to Lyons and Neale. Defence around the ruck contest would be improved over Joe and it would allow Joe to either sit in the goal square or set up defensively down the line.

If we're going to continue with Gardiner up forward I think we should also use him as second ruck.......given Joe is less than hopeless and Eric is a bit fragile maybe Darcy could body up their second ruck and drop the ball to Lyons and Neale. Defence around the ruck contest would be improved over Joe and it would allow Joe to either sit in the goal square or set up defensively down the line.

Joe playing in the ruck seems to be good for him though. He’s not a world better in there but it gets him around the ball which sometimes he needs.

Pretty sure we will be trying to get Darcy Gardiner to stymie Steven May's intercept game this Thursday night at the G, will also help matters if our players refrain from bombing it long into the F50 unless it's absolutely necessary.

Pretty sure we will be trying to get Darcy Gardiner to stymie Steven May's intercept game this Thursday night at the G, will also help matters if our players refrain from bombing it long into the F50 unless it's absolutely necessary.

Darcy tagging May out of the game goes a long way to us winning.

Then it will be fagan the master tactician. The line between success and failure, genius and has-been is very feint.

I’d prefer to just go smaller forward. We have Cameron, Linc, Bailey, Kai and Cam. That’s pretty potent.

I actually think Gardiner is ok when he gets up the ground and marks on a lead but the stuff he does inside 50 is just too unpredictable for our forwards.

Back