Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not all I spoke about post game. During the game it was pure emotion and you just want a release. This was actually pretty much the first time ever I have posted on the main board during a game and it will be the last given the response. After the game I did say the umpiring was poor but also spoke about a number of other things like execution. I also gave Geelong a lot of credit for their start to the season.
You poor thing the response hasn’t been abuse you are just upset that it’s not being agreeable

You poor thing the response hasn’t been abuse you are just upset that it’s not being agreeable
When did I say I got abuse? It is bizarre the words people keep putting in my mouth. I didn't think there was anything wrong with posting about umpires - clearly there is so I will refrain from doing it in the future.

When did I say I got abuse? It is bizarre the words people keep putting in my mouth. I didn't think there was anything wrong with posting about umpires - clearly there is so I will refrain from doing it in the future.
There’s nothing wrong with it for a few posts ..but to see carrying on about it pages after pages and then act like a victim because you are being called out on it is and then threaten to take your bat and ball away is amusing

There’s nothing wrong with it for a few posts ..but to see carrying on about it pages after pages and then act like a victim because you are being called out on it is and then threaten to take your bat and ball away is amusing
You understand how forums work right? I posted a thing about umpiring and then people respond and then I respond. It's a discussion so yes there are going to be a lot of posts on a single topic. Happens in every match thread

You understand how forums work right? I posted a thing about umpiring and then people respond and then I respond. It's a discussion so yes there are going to be a lot of posts on a single topic. Happens in every match thread
You keep conceding that you don’t agree with the umpiring and that others will not agree yet want to have the last word on the topic …it’s pretty funny watching you try and defend several pages worth of arguing the point and bringing up the commentary as evidence for your views while dismissing anyone else’s evidence that Carlton weren’t hard done with the umpiring

But no you’re not obsessed with the umpiring or acting like a victim at all

You keep conceding that you don’t agree with the umpiring and that others will not agree yet want to have the last word on the topic …it’s pretty funny watching you try and defend several pages worth of arguing the point and bringing up the commentary as evidence for your views while dismissing anyone else’s evidence that Carlton weren’t hard done with the umpiring
I haven't dismissed any evidence that they weren't hard done by? A Geelong fan actually sent a me a decision (Guthrie insufficient intent non-call) that they thought favoured them and I disagreed saying it was the right call.

I haven't dismissed any evidence that they weren't hard done by? A Geelong fan actually sent a me a decision (Guthrie insufficient intent non-call) that they thought favoured them and I disagreed saying it was the right call.
Did David King commentary influenced you again?

Haha no there wasn't. You just noticed the handful of hawks fans more than the others because they're in your brain.

Hawthorn are rebuilding and s**t and geelong are undefeated, yet here you are constantly bringing up hawthorn.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
Geelong are also rebuilding. And undefeated. Sucks doesn’t it?

Did David King commentary influenced you again?
No - I come to my own conclusions regarding umpiring decisions. And I try ny best to remain consistent with my own interpretation of the rules. I don't think that was insufficient intent based on how it is paid in 2024 - the rule itself is bad but the decision was right imo

No - I come to my own conclusions regarding umpiring decisions. And I try ny best to remain consistent with my own interpretation of the rules. I don't think that was insufficient intent based on how it is paid in 2024 - the rule itself is bad but the decision was right imo
So still going on about the umpiring ?

The most incorrect decision of the night in my opinion was the Henry mark that was reviewed on the goal line, and then Henry kicked the goal.

In my opinion the reviewing umpire was absolutely correct in his decision to award the mark, but the on field umpire should have called it a push in the back before the mark. By the time it is reviewed, it is too late as the Arc can't overturn an on field decision.

Other than that, the Williams call was excellent umpiring and I think the 50 against McKay was absolutely there. You can't just change man on the mark to allow the trailer bloke to run back for the next contest, it isn't allowed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting, because this isn't new this season for Geelong. We're routinely getting well-beaten in what have traditionally been key statistics and indicators: disposals, clearances, inside 50s.

Since round 2 against Adelaide, we're at -157 for disposals, -31 for clearances and -25 for inside 50s. Take out the circle work game against North and it becomes -38 for clearances and -41 for inside 50s.

So is Geelong just one of the arsiest teams ever in pulling out these wins, or is something else going on here? Is it a quality/quantity debate? Well, to pull out a couple of stats where Geelong IS consistently outperforming its opposition:

1. For all the opposition inside 50 dominance, Geelong has marked inside 50 more than its opponents over the past six weeks on average. And while the picnic against North didn't hurt this stat, our opponents have only topped us here twice: the Bulldogs by one and Brisbane by two. So for negative 41 inside 50s over the past month and a half, we're still getting more marks in that area of the ground.

2. Following on from the above, we're going at nearly 7% more efficient than our opposition inside 50.

3. Our opponents are committing almost six more turnovers per game and - as we've all seen - Geelong's pretty clinical at making opponents pay for mistakes.

4. We are out tackling and outperforming our opponents in one percenters, a general 'we do the unfashionable stuff well'.

5. This gets a bit chicken/egg, but we're controlling the scoreboard. Over the past six weeks (and it was the same story in round one), we've led on the scoreboard for about 11 hours and 17 minutes, compared to 1 hour, 21 minutes for our opponents (it's around 12 minutes total, outside the Brisbane game). Our opponents in 2024 have almost never controlled the scoreboard at any time (especially after quarter time) and you could argue it follows that when you're controlling the scoreboard, the game is on your terms.

Well you cant win games with 66 inside 50s and 24 tackles inside 50. No matter how one wishes to sugar coat it.

It was interesting after the erroneous 50m penalty against Harry McKay - Geelong scored four unanswered goals some of them dubious at best.

Not taking anything away from your victory - but you cant play like that against a depleted team and expect to win all the time.

Well you cant win games with 66 inside 50s and 24 tackles inside 50. No matter how one wishes to sugar coat it.

It was interesting after the erroneous 50m penalty against Harry McKay - Geelong scored four unanswered goals some of them dubious at best.

Not taking anything away from your victory - but you cant play like that against a depleted team and expect to win all the time.
Haha! One post and so many contradictions. Genuinely humorous.

Oh no injuries the blues did so well to turn up with that type of hardship

Why erroneous? Tried to change man on the mark so McKay could get to the next contest. Not allowed. Simple really

Why erroneous? Tried to change man on the mark so McKay could get to the next contest. Not allowed. Simple really

Cripps was standing on the mark right from the first micro second the umpire made the call. It was one hell of a brainfade by the Ump that I'm sure will be umping the Magoos next week.

Differences between the McKay 50m penalty and the Stengle 50m penalty in the final minute of the first quarter? Geelong were good enough to capitalise, Carlton weren't.

Geelong lost our captain and probably our BOG at that stage early in the third quarter. He would have been invaluable at the centre bounces in time on of the fourth when Carlton surged. But he wasn't there. No use sooking about it, got to find another way.

Differences between the McKay 50m penalty and the Stengle 50m penalty in the final minute of the first quarter? Geelong were good enough to capitalise, Carlton weren't.

Geelong lost our captain and probably our BOG at that stage early in the third quarter. He would have been invaluable at the centre bounces in time on of the fourth when Carlton surged. But he wasn't there. No use sooking about it, got to find another way.

Well you call it sooking I call it factual events. Like the 24 tackles inside 50 but no free kicks.

Well you call it sooking I call it factual events. Like the 24 tackles inside 50 but no free kicks.

We've had more than our share of hugely lopsided tackle to HTB ratios this year: we didn't get one from 75 tackles against the Crows IIRC. But that's the way it goes, unfortunately it isn't a rewards program: you don't get to claim a free kick for your fifth tackle. And of course, it only matters when you lose.

Believe what you want to believe. Geelong's only winning because they're kicking goals out of their arse and corrupt officiating. Nothing to do with the 18 premiership players from 2022 who lined up yesterday and handful of key additions that we've brought into the squad since 2022. What would a team like that know about finding a way to win in pressure situations?

Keep complaining about things out of your control. Don't look internally.

The most incorrect decision of the night in my opinion was the Henry mark that was reviewed on the goal line, and then Henry kicked the goal.

In my opinion the reviewing umpire was absolutely correct in his decision to award the mark, but the on field umpire should have called it a push in the back before the mark. By the time it is reviewed, it is too late as the Arc can't overturn an on field decision.

Other than that, the Williams call was excellent umpiring and I think the 50 against McKay was absolutely there. You can't just change man on the mark to allow the trailer bloke to run back for the next contest, it isn't allowed!

The McKay 50m was an absolute joke. Cripps was closer and chose to stand the mark and McKay was on the move already out of the “zone”. Just zero common sense or game awareness from the umpire especially in a stadium of 85,000 people.

It is unbelievable that there is even a need to debate it. The stand rule, “protected areas”, screaming at a random player who now can’t move a muscle and if he does it’s a certain 50m penalty, is just not footy. Half the time the player is a few metres off where the mark was taken and the player with the ball is allowed to waltz around them before the umpire even thinks about blowing play on.

I was a fan of the rule when it was brought in as it sped up the game but like every change they over umpire it and ruin it.

I make these comments with Hawkins 50m in mind too. Instinctively tries to stop a fast break and gets punished for it. What can you do.

Back