Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats still fielded a very young and inexperienced side.
Conway was up against two rucks, one of which is an AFL listed player who stands 7ft tall and they were both destroyed.

O'Sullivan marked everything that came his way in defense. He's played just 4 VFL matches and already looks like a steal at pick 11 in the national draft.
As close to another Harry Taylor as you can get.
Yes but to say we have not much coming through because players 38-44 on our list can't be competitive alone in a VFL game against a team like Geelong is a bit extreme.

Docherty is already out for the year and at his age, coming off a 4th? ACL, he probably finds it difficult to ever get back.
I know it sucks but I'm talking about the ins to come in before this years finals.

I just don't see much upside with those ins. Cerra and Saad will help but the others are the very epitome of depth.
McGovern is improved but again, I would honestly tell you Geelong have a player in the VFL who would be capable of performing to a similar level in his first season and that's not over exaggerating things either.

Your VFL team got smashed today by 100 points. Nothing at all coming through.

Feels like your supporters are using the injury excuse to build up your team to something they aren't.

Really ignorant post to be honest.

McGovern is our CHB who was in career best form before he went down - he's not some depth VFL player, it ain't 2019 anymore. Because he's out, we had Lewis ******* Young playing on Jeremy Cameron! A better option than Young is S. Durdin but he's also out with a VFL suspension.

The rest that you don't rate are best 22 role players for us - they're important. For a Geelong fan to write them off as no-name outs is seriously ignorant, considering you guys remain at the top every year from finding & developing these role players that play your system well.

We have something like 27 players available for selection, of course our VFL team is going to stink it up.

Injuries aren't an "excuse" but they're hurting us a bit right now, as it would anyone with 13 on the list.

Overall, thought it was a great game between two heavyweights. Looking fwd to rd15.

McGovern is our CHB who was in career best form before he went down - he's not some depth VFL player, it ain't 2019 anymore. Because he's out, we had Lewis ******* Young playing on Jeremy Cameron! A better option than Young is S. Durdin but he's also out with a VFL suspension.

McGovern will have 4 kicked on him if he's assigned to Cameron next time we meet. Certainly hope we do see that match up.
Saad's a loss. Big fan of his. Tremendous run and carry footballer.
Cerra will help too but you talk about the rest as though are walk up starters.
Cunnigham is hopeless. 27 years of age and looks the very epitome of a VFL listed footballer.
Fogarty is never going to be more than a good honest battler. Averages 0.3 goals per game and 0.6 assists er game. If that will improve your forward half, how does Fantasia get in if Moltop is on the other pocket?

McGovern will have 4 kicked on him if he's assigned to Cameron next time we meet. Certainly hope we do see that match up.
Saad's a loss. Big fan of his. Tremendous run and carry footballer.
Cerra will help too but you talk about the rest as though are walk up starters.
Cunnigham is hopeless. 27 years of age and looks the very epitome of a VFL listed footballer.
Fogarty is never going to be more than a good honest battler. Averages 0.3 goals per game and 0.6 assists er game. If that will improve your forward half, how does Fantasia get in if Moltop is on the other pocket?

You know Fogarty is leading tackles i50 for the league yeah? (before he got injured). That's what he's there for, that's his role. He's a walk up start. You crucified us on the rebound yesterday with zero pressure, he would've been handy.

If Cameron kicks 4 on McGovern, that's 2 less than what he kicked on Young (kicked 6 on Young last year too) - so that's an upgrade. Marchbank might be a better matchup, but he's injured too (as he often is tbf).

Fantasia doesn't get in - he's depth. Our best small fwd mix is Motlop, Owies, Fogarty with Martin as that medium/lead up fwd imo. Silvagni can play the latter role too.

I wouldn't list any of Cuningham, Martin, Marchbank as serious outs as they're always out.

But we're without McGovern, Cerra, Saad, Motlop & Fogarty. Docherty going down with an ACL hasn't helped either as he can generally play on every line. That's 6 important players for 2024 that are currently unavailable.

It's a tough situation, I'm not sure why you find that so hard to admit? You still get the 4 points, and you had Stewart out yourself; so I dunno why you're so defensive about the idea that Carlton are banged up and doing your best to minimize the impact (CuNiNgHaM iS a VfL lIsTeD pLaYer) - because they are banged up atm.

But we're without McGovern, Cerra, Saad, Motlop & Fogarty. Docherty going down with an ACL hasn't helped either as he can generally play on every line. That's 6 important players for 2024 that are currently unavailable.

Will have to disagree on Fogarty then.
Absolute spud but little better spud than Owies I guess.

Geelong have had a relatively soft start and do have an easy fixture but I think the wins against St Kilda and Footscray will look better as the season goes on. Carlton couldn’t beat Adelaide where Geelong could. Brisbane at the GABBA and Carlton at the G confirm them as a contender.

There are stuff all easy games this year with the comp so close so I have no idea how anyone can write off a side that is unbeaten almost a third of the way in. Especially a side with history.

I’d argue that Carlton’s fixture has been just as soft and have performed worse.

Both:
Adelaide (Geelong won away, Carlton lost)
Brisbane
North

Geelong only:
Bulldogs
Saints
Hawks

Carlton only:
GWS
Freo
Richmond

Geelong beat Carlton.

You’ve had one harder match, but I’d argue that dogs and saints are both at least as good as Freo. Richmond and hawthorn are both putrid.

I understand that teams can take some positives from things like winning an inside 50 count or dominating possessions or clearance counts or whatever but at what point will people realise that it’s utterly meaningless?

It didn’t create any additional scoring shots for Carlton.

It’s no different to a rugby league side claiming a moral victory because they had a territorial advantage. Who cares? If the opposition is a strong defensive side then what does it matter? Geelong’s strength at no stage this season - and for a few really - has been its midfield. It’s never a go-to for us. We will never be carving teams up with 2-3 players getting 30 touches and relentlessly driving the ball forward to our talls and creating 65 chances. We are a defence first team that happens to have an incredibly good front 6-7 so when we DO get good touches we hurt the opposition.

The Storm are a good NRL example of this albeit they probably don’t lose the territorial battle much themselves. Over a long period they have been a great defensive unit but have 3-4 outstanding attacking players so that when they have soaked through the grind and earned the ‘right’ to attack, they punish teams with amazing efficiency.

I really couldn’t give a s**t what the stat sheet says about yesterday. I do sympathise with Carlton being without players so that’s fair. But without Stewart we were able to muster a generally very youthful defence into a very organised outfit that made creating scoring chances very difficult for Carlton and it showed.

And it has done for each side we’ve played. The only side that’s been reasonably efficient at creating chances relative to their inside 50s oddly enough given how they’re playing has been St Kilda - 23 scores from 44 entries

I’d argue that Carlton’s fixture has been just as soft and have performed worse.

Both:
Adelaide (Geelong won away, Carlton lost)
Brisbane
North

Geelong only:
Bulldogs
Saints
Hawks

Carlton only:
GWS
Freo
Richmond

Geelong beat Carlton.

You’ve had one harder match, but I’d argue that dogs and saints are both at least as good as Freo. Richmond and hawthorn are both putrid.

Read the whole exchange. You just wasted 5 minutes of your day arguing against something I didn’t claim.

Pretty solid. Only quibble I'd have is I only heard the 'stand' call once Harry was about 3 metres behind the mark. Possibly he was told to stand earlier and it just wasn't picked up on mic, on first viewing though it kinda seemed like he was punished purely coz the ump issued a very late instruction.
Late instruction may have contributed but he wasn’t 3metres behind mark from how i saw it, Cripps was 3metres in front of the mark and further in towards centre of field.

Apparently Henry was fined for this incident - if that's the case there must have been some high contact I didn't see in that video you sent.
So even though I personally don't think there is enough there for a free if AFL see it as striking it must be to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that teams can take some positives from things like winning an inside 50 count or dominating possessions or clearance counts or whatever but at what point will people realise that it’s utterly meaningless?
Inside 50 count especially can be misleading. Purely hypothetical but say Carlton bomb the ball on Curnow's head, Geelong clear it out to 70 metres and Carlton having pushed their entire team up the ground to lock the ball in as most teams do these days keep finding ways to hack it in blindly without kicking a goal - all of a sudden you've just racked up a handful of 'inside 50s'.

On the flipside Geelong move the ball cleanly, Miers kicks inside 50 to Cameron on the lead, mark, goal. Ball back to the middle, Geelong register just the one inside 50. Yet if Miers fluffed the kick then we all of a sudden get the chance to do those repeat inside 50s which look nice on the stats sheet but in reality all they represent in this specific instance is wastefulness.

Geelong putting up a score of 118 with a lower inside 50 count just proves how brutally efficient we were. That's called good football imo.

Really ignorant post to be honest.

The rest that you don't rate are best 22 role players for us - they're important. For a Geelong fan to write them off as no-name outs is seriously ignorant, considering you guys remain at the top every year from finding & developing these role players that play your system well.

We have something like 27 players available for selection, of course our VFL team is going to stink it up.

Injuries aren't an "excuse" but they're hurting us a bit right now, as it would anyone with 13 on the list.

Overall, thought it was a great game between two heavyweights. Looking fwd to rd15.
Excuse highlighted for clarity.

All you needed was to add another tribute to the umpires and we will have completed Carlton supporter excuse Bingo for the 500th time in this thread.

yeah, because McKay left because McKay was deemed the player on the mark, not Cripps because Cripps wasn't remotely in the right spot to be considered the man on the mark.
Cripps absolutely was 'remotely' in the right spot, he was right next to McKay at the front of the contest.

McKay was deemed the player on the mark yes, he just never knew that at any stage and the first time his name was used by the ump was when he was already about 3 meters behind it. He goes to take a step to man the mark, sees Cripps standing next to him with his hands up and immediately heads backwards of the mark.

Ump should have been saying to Cripps "back 2 meters" like they do 50 times a game, then pay a 50 against him if he doesn't move. Just a 50 that simply wasn't there - most games have those, no biggie in the scheme of things but surely we can call a spade a spade.

Fogarty averaging 3.0 tackles inside 50 (2nd in the AFL) would be the relevant stat. Our best defensive forward by some margin.

Cripps absolutely was 'remotely' in the right spot, he was right next to McKay at the front of the contest.

McKay was deemed the player on the mark yes, he just never knew that at any stage and the first time his name was used by the ump was when he was already about 3 meters behind it. He goes to take a step to man the mark, sees Cripps standing next to him with his hands up and immediately heads backwards of the mark.

Ump should have been saying to Cripps "back 2 meters" like they do 50 times a game, then pay a 50 against him if he doesn't move. Just a 50 that simply wasn't there - most games have those, no biggie in the scheme of things but surely we can call a spade a spade.
Cripps is to blame. If he's going to replace McKay he can't stand 5m on the inboard side. The umpires are protective of players restricting the inboard kick. I think we both agree that it shouldn't be called. But I blame Cripps. If you're going to replace, replace the exact mark and def not the inbound side. But the umpire should've told Cripps to move away.

Cripps is to blame. If he's going to replace McKay he can't stand 5m on the inboard side. The umpires are protective of players restricting the inboard kick. I think we both agree that it shouldn't be called. But I blame Cripps. If you're going to replace, replace the exact mark and def not the inbound side. But the umpire should've told Cripps to move away.
Yep basically in agreement here, Cripps tried to pinch some territory and make an inside kick harder - as I say, like players do 50 times a game, and the ump always yells "back 2 meters" or whatever before paying a 50 if they don't move. Bizarre to pay it on McKay when you haven't used his name once while Cripps has been standing there with his arms up for 2-3 seconds already and as you mention hasn't been told to move away :drunk:

Conway was up against two rucks, one of which is an AFL listed player who stands 7ft tall and they were both destroyed.

O'Sullivan marked everything that came his way in defense. He's played just 4 VFL matches and already looks like a steal at pick 11 in the national draft.
Yes, 21yo 206cm, 3 game player Conway was really up against the wall against 24yo 210cm, zero game player Mirkov.
Can't believe he also floated forward for 3 goals against a severely depleted VFL C-grade defence.

At the end of the day, your side might have been young and inexperienced, but with only 4 on your injury list (or whatever it is), it still would've been "VFL full strength".
Rohan alone makes a huge difference in skill and experience.

Knevitt, Clarke and Bews alone have 34 games more AFL experience than our entire team.

The COS, Murdoch and Jeka line was impressive yesterday. Nothing got past them.

Yes, 21yo 206cm, 3 game player Conway was really up against the wall against 24yo 210cm, zero game player Mirkov.
Mirkov didn't play much ruck. Spent most of the game at FF where he looked lost.

Back