Preview Round 5 - Melbourne Demons v Brisbane Lions (Thursday, 11 April 2024 @ 7:30pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to the game. Expecting to lose by over 3 goals. They beat us across every line.

Unfortunately we're heading in the opposite direction to Melbourne... and that really shouldn't be the case.

Be great if some of you can 'I told you so'!

Hey no need to show me up with far superior analysis pal. God I hate your terrific, insightful and in-depth analysis.

Angry Fight GIF by Mike's Hot Honey's Hot Honey
To be fair, I've written a whole bloody essay on one aspect of the game, while you've prepared an actual holistic preview of the match with a whole heap of other important stuff like midfield and defensive matchups. Not to mention dropping in a delicious looking meal recipe which I sadly will have to forgo in lieu of an MCG pie.

But I appreciate your sentiments all the same 🙂

That's an interesting point.

You can give players enough strategies to fill up a new bible but in the pressure of the moment some keep their head and others go to pieces or do whatever.

Good players know what to do without you telling them. And most times instinctively do it.

I remember talking to the great ex jockey Pat Hyland about pre race riding tactics for jockeys and he said it's pretty much pointless.

The good ones don't need them and the others can't carry them out.
This is the thing. For all my ideas etc, actually executing these strategies effectively probably takes oodles of practice, both at training and in games, to even come close to mastering.

Defensive strategies are much easier to bed down... That's why they're more prevalent than the attacking strategies I outline on this forum.

End of the day, you're right, players primarily play on instinct when the going gets tough. That's why the art of coaching really is about being able to retrain that instinct to be of greater benefit to the team. Easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back