Preview Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants Round 7 (Thursday 25 April ANZAC DAY 7:35PM @ Manuka Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be the best we need to beat the best. No problem if they play we should have their measure .

Agree. I actually got more concerned we were favorites for this game with the prospect of Hogan & Greene missing.

I think our team plays better going into the game as underdog.

This is probably just in my head, but just feels like the more of a favourite we are in a game the worse we go right now lol.

Hogans outcome again due to a legal loophole or technicality. Zita said their lawyer said in one part of the laws ‘negligible’ says it is below low impact whereas somewhere else in the laws it says negligible can be graded as low.

Obviously the AFL had no choice but to throw it because of the inconsistency even though I agree with Slobbos reasoning that you can’t have acts like it or at the least Hogan be fined for the act.

There’s now two loopholes the AFL will be closing this off season. Wonder how many other loopholes exist in there laws that are ripe to exploit.

Hogans outcome again due to a legal loophole or technicality. Zita said their lawyer said in one part of the laws ‘negligible’ says it is below low impact whereas somewhere else in the laws it says negligible can be graded as low.

Obviously the AFL had no choice but to throw it because of the inconsistency even though I agree with Slobbos reasoning that you can’t have acts like it or at the least Hogan be fined for the act.

There’s now two loopholes the AFL will be closing this off season. Wonder how many other loopholes exist in there laws that are ripe to exploit.

In the alternate universe that exists inside my brain, Lachie Neale is a three time brownlow medalist. Nothing can take that away.

Toby’s ban stands. He’ll miss Thursday.
I’m genuinely surprised; I thought Hogan would miss and Greene cleared. Agree with Browny, the game will be like Gaelic football if this is suspension worthy and could not disagree more with Slobbo that the game is tougher than ever before. Is he drunk? What on earth was Toby expected to do, just let his Carlton opponent mark the ball?

Toby’s ban stands. He’ll miss Thursday.

The Tribunal's ability to frequently do the exact opposite of what you expect will happen is astounding. I'd expected Hogan to get the week and Toby to be free.

I’m genuinely surprised; I thought Hogan would miss and Greene cleared. Agree with Browny, the game will be like Gaelic football if this is suspension worthy and could not disagree more with Slobbo that the game is tougher than ever before. Is he drunk? What on earth was Toby expected to do, just let his Carlton opponent mark the ball?

In the game of now, if you launch at the ball, you accept the personal risk rather than cause your opponent head trauma. Go for the mark, not put the shoulder in.

look at the footage - the ball bounced off of Toby Greene, and he did not see it because he was concentrating on his opponent.

In the game of now, if you launch at the ball, you accept the personal risk rather than cause your opponent head trauma. Go for the mark, not put the shoulder in.

look at the footage - the ball bounced off of Toby Greene, and he did not see it because he was concentrating on his opponent.
Didn’t realise the Carlton player was injured. Free kick rightly paid, no medical report and played the game out unimpeded. By that logic that we’re suspending players for what may happen as opposed to what does happen, I’m even more confused that Hogan throws a jab and the guys chin and there’s no issue with that.

The Carlton guy is running back with the ball totally out of position. I don’t think Greene should be suspended at all.
He took his eyes off the ball turned his body and chose to bump.
Lucky it wasn’t 4 weeks like Peter Wright.

Agree. I actually got more concerned we were favorites for this game with the prospect of Hogan & Greene missing.

I think our team plays better going into the game as underdog.

This is probably just in my head, but just feels like the more of a favourite we are in a game the worse we go right now lol.
Have been heavy favourites in every loss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that he was probably any chance of coming back, but Dev will miss the next month through injury.
I feel a bit gutted for Dev. This was the year I believe that he could have really cemented himself in the 22 before the return of Ashcroft. The wrist injury delaying his preseason and now a dislocated shoulder keeping him out for at least a month. Poor bugger.

Seems to be a bit of a story of our season so far. Neale, Berry, Payne and others underdone at the beginning of the season, Kiddy gone, McKenna and his hammy, the lost potential of Doedee, Dev's injury extension, Big O getting knocked out, the unavailability of Ashcroft. I don't think we've had such a bad run of injuries in a long time. Injuries in games that have arguably resulted in losses.

So much has to go right in a season to be successful. Feels a bit like Sisyphus pushing that rock uphill just to have it roll back down again and again and again.

Edit- forgot about Bailey on the injured list as well.

Last edited:
I think we'll comeback strong v Giants. Taylor, Greene, Coniglio, out definitely an advantage.

Big O and Lyons out, Fort n Mckenna in, Tunstill back to sub, are the only changes necessary.

A win would be pretty big - to come out of our funk and a horror draw to start the season 3-4 isn’t horrible. I can see a way into the season even if we lose this though as it opens right up for a number of weeks and might just give the boys a chance to establish some momentum if they stay mentally up for it.

He took his eyes off the ball turned his body and chose to bump.
Lucky it wasn’t 4 weeks like Peter Wright.

This is the crux of it.

He HAD to be aware of where his opponent was and a player of Greene's skill must have realised he was ZERO chance of actually marking it himself.

He made no play at the ball at all.

Straightforward suspension.

Had he done damage, he would have got multiple weeks

We will win this and we will go on a nice run of wins now until the bye. The wake up call has run its course

Well, I've heard the wake up call every morning for decades.

Doesn't matter how many times I tell myself that tomorrow morning I'm going to bounce out of bed when it rings, I still keep hitting the snooze button.

And that lovely, before the pressure of the day starts, floating feeling just keeps on seducing me back to old habits.

I guess I'm comfortable there even though I don't want to be.

🤔

Greater Western Sydney v Brisbane at Manuka Oval, 7.35pm AEST

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
D.Jones (debut)
Out: T.Greene (suspension)

R6 sub: James Peatling

BRISBANE

In:
D.Fort, C.McKenna
Out: O.McInerney (concussion), J.Lyons (omitted)

R6 sub: Jarryd Lyons

LIONS

B: B.Starcevich, J.Payne, R.Lester

HB: D.Wilmot, H.Andrews - C, D.Gardiner

C: J.Fletcher, C.Rayner, J.Berry

HF: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, H.McCluggage

F: L.McCarthy, J.Daniher, D.Zorko

FOLL: D.Fort, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, C.Ah Chee, C.McKenna, J.Tunstill, N.Answerth

EMG: J.Lyons, H.Smith, D.Joyce

IN: D.Fort, C.McKenna

OUT: O.McInerney (Injured), J.Lyons (Omitted)

GIANTS

B: H.Perryman, H.Himmelberg, C.Idun

HB: L.Whitfield, J.Buckley, L.Ash

C: J.Wehr, J.Kelly - C, F.Callaghan

HF: B.Daniels, A.Cadman, T.Bedford

F: J.Riccardi, J.Hogan, C.Brown

FOLL: K.Briggs, C.Ward, T.Green

I/C: X.O’Halloran, H.Thomas, L.Aleer, D.Jones, J.Peatling

EMG: T.McMullin, R.Angwin, M.Gruzewski

IN: D.Jones

OUT: T.Greene (Suspension)

Status