Unofficial Preview Round 7 v Giants, Anzac Day

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Tunstill deserves a run of games. He did well last night and I’d like to see him play in conditions which favour his strengths. The only thing he did which YOU NEVER DO is didn’t give a handball off to Hughy at one stage.

Deserves a run but was poor last night. 3 kicks and 8 handballs. No Geelong player had nearly that kick to handball ratio

Even with Zorko and Wilmott playing well we are missing some speed, creativity and unpredictability off half back. Hopefully McKenna in helps that.

I think the biggest difference conor made last year was the speed to get back and help out our defensive transition. Something we really missed last night with Geelongs small forwards

I like your thinking, I thought Payne dropped his head like he did against Carlton and Fagan dropped him then. i think he could be ripped again and Gardnier moved back with Morris getting a run if for nothing else but to signal the forward line is not set in stone.

I get the concept of Gardnier up forward as he can tag the good 'interceptors' and bring it to ground but there is a cost payoff of sacrificing shots on goal. Payne, certainly one of my favourite players since drafted is just turning into a sook it seems or at least the body language shows he wont fight back after a first beating.

Except Gardiner did not play on Stewart…go figure….

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Tunstill deserves a run of games. He did well last night and I’d like to see him play in conditions which favour his strengths. The only thing he did which YOU NEVER DO is didn’t give a handball off to Hughy at one stage.

Yep give him a run. Will do no worse than Dev has done. Workout whether he makes it.

Starting to get hard to be excited for footy again. It's also so hard to be upset at the lads and the coaching group after giving us some exciting times over the last 5 years.

I'm in no means throwing in the towel but this could be our year to reset. Our next 2 games are ridiculously tough compared to how we are playing. Going back to banking on opposition injuries/suspensions is not fun.

I get the concept of Gardnier up forward as he can tag the good 'interceptors' and bring it to ground but there is a cost payoff of sacrificing shots on goal. Payne, certainly one of my favourite players since drafted is just turning into a sook it seems or at least the body language shows he wont fight back after a first beating.

Don't think Gardiner has been playing that role though, he seems to be playing as a leading half forward. Don't think he played on Lever last week, and if he did, Lever had plenty of uncontested intercepts last week.

Don't think Gardiner has been playing that role though, he seems to be playing as a leading half forward. Don't think he played on Lever last week, and if he did, Lever had plenty of uncontested intercepts last week.

100%, didn’t play on Lever, didn’t play on Moore, didn’t play on Stewart. Logic said a defensive forward. Hadn’t played that role which makes the selection mind boggling.

100%, didn’t play on Lever, didn’t play on Moore, didn’t play on Stewart. Logic said a defensive forward. Hadn’t played that role which makes the selection mind boggling.

That’s what his role should be if they want to keep him up forward.

What it looks like he’s playing is more the McStay role from a couple of years ago, minus Mcstay’s athleticism & marking ability to perform it.

It’s a bit like Gunston last year. We might’ve got an extra goal a game from Jack playing that role. We might get a slight increase in defensive capabilities with Dizz up there, but in both instances it’s not enough to move the needle and actually ends up a detriment to the team.

Regarding the Geelong game i mentioned this on another thread.

Forwards are not performing when the team only kicks 4 goals in total, irrespective of the conditions.
Two goals scored by our half back (Zorko) one to a winger (Berry).
McCarthy the only forward to goal and that was at the 58 second mark of the game.
That means for 2 hours 6 minutes and 55 seconds no forward kicked a goal.

That really is a bad look and stat for a forward line.
On that alone a forward should be dropped. Will they, that is another question.
From our forwards i only see them thinking of dropping Lohmann, Ah Chee & possibly Gardiner unless they move him to defense.

So, who could come in from the VFL. That's where it gets hard to find someone that improves the team.
Dev could come in and do a reasonable job.
I would upgrade Reville but the club don't appear to want to do that.
Torrent needs more VFL games and hopefully he keeps improving. Not really a forward though.
If Gardiner moves to defense you could try Payne forward or Smith forward to help out in the ruck.
Ryan, LLoyd & Morris are not ready even though Morris showed good signs early.
Those 3 are not really getting that true KPP forward role in the VFL because of too many talls playing in the forward line.
That is all we have at present.

1713678762819.png
1713678824592.png

Looks like Hogan and Toby Greene may be in trouble. If those two miss along with Taylor, GWS may come down a few pegs.

Regardless if we go in with half-assed effort, even a second string GWS will smash us. Leaves us at 2-5 and top 4 will be out unless we drop only 2 more games for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Fort, Smith, McKenna
Out: Oscar, Gardiner, Lyons

I am completely done with the Gardiner forward experiment. Meanwhile, Henry Smith is starting to show genuine AFL signs and is ready for a debut. Would not play him as a full time ruck in his debut, but think he and Fort could combine and share ruck minutes, While Smith is very serviceable as a marking forward.

I think it isn't a bad idea to give Joe a traditional full forward role given the short turnaround to Thursday's game. He carried a lot of ruck work in a wet weather game.

The end of this round will be the first time this season all teams have played the same amount of games.

We will finish the round in 12th place ahead of the Eagles and Saints on percentage, 1 win off 8th spot, looking at the ladder very hard to see us getting a top 4 spot, we'd be hoping we win just about every remaining game and one of the current top 4 drop 4 games from here. Depending on other results going your way this early in the season is not ideal to say the least.

Cats - 24
Swans - 20
Giants - 20
Blues - 20
______
Power - 16
Demons - 16
Bombers - 16
Bulldogs - 12
Lions - 8
Saints - 8
Eagles - 8
Crows - 4
Tigers - 4
Hawks - 4
Kangaroos - 0

Hawks 40 points in front of Roos so giving them the win.

To the strategies defence those players didn't really get going against us as didn't Tom Stewart last night, anyway we can agree he is meant to be a defensive role. he certainly is not dashing down the wing, taking a contested make and wheeling around to shoot a long pass to someone in for forward line like McStay was and he certainly isn't quick enough to play on any short forward.

I think 16-7 would mean we most likely finish top 4, so need to go 14-3 from here.
A few weeks ago I posted on one of our threads the number of losses you could afford to have in a H&A season and still make top 4 since 2000, the average losses ranged from 5 to 8, with most being quite substantially in the 6-7 loss range and more 6 than 7... so 7 losses would be cutting if very fine and definitely not guarantee top 4 IMO.

A few weeks ago I posted on one of our threads the number of losses you could afford to have in a H&A season and still make top 4 since 2000, the average losses ranged from 5 to 8, with most being quite substantially in the 6-7 loss range and more 6 than 7... so 7 losses would be cutting if very fine and definitely not guarantee top 4 IMO.
Top 4 wouldn't be safe with 16-7, but I think it's more likely with 23 games than 22, and it was also what Melbourne finished with last year, and they finished 4th.

The end of this round will be the first time this season all teams have played the same amount of games.

We will finish the round in 12th place ahead of the Eagles and Saints on percentage, 1 win off 8th spot, looking at the ladder very hard to see us getting a top 4 spot, we'd be hoping we win just about every remaining game and one of the current top 4 drop 4 games from here. Depending on other results going your way this early in the season is not ideal to say the least.

Cats - 24
Swans - 20
Giants - 20
Blues - 20
______
Power - 16
Demons - 16
Bombers - 16
Bulldogs - 12
Lions - 8
Saints - 8
Eagles - 8
Crows - 4
Tigers - 4
Hawks - 4
Kangaroos - 0

Hawks 40 points in front of Roos so giving them the win.

Realistically i'd take 5th or 6th. The inconsistency of the Dogs and Bombers should help us get in the 8 if we actually turn it around. Pies will get in. top 6 currently, I can't see any of them missing finals.

Regarding the Geelong game i mentioned this on another thread.

Forwards are not performing when the team only kicks 4 goals in total, irrespective of the conditions.
Two goals scored by our half back (Zorko) one to a winger (Berry).
McCarthy the only forward to goal and that was at the 58 second mark of the game.
That means for 2 hours 6 minutes and 55 seconds no forward kicked a goal.

That really is a bad look and stat for a forward line.
On that alone a forward should be dropped. Will they, that is another question.
From our forwards i only see them thinking of dropping Lohmann, Ah Chee & possibly Gardiner unless they move him to defense.

So, who could come in from the VFL. That's where it gets hard to find someone that improves the team.
Dev could come in and do a reasonable job.
I would upgrade Reville but the club don't appear to want to do that.
Torrent needs more VFL games and hopefully he keeps improving. Not really a forward though.
If Gardiner moves to defense you could try Payne forward or Smith forward to help out in the ruck.
Ryan, LLoyd & Morris are not ready even though Morris showed good signs early.
Those 3 are not really getting that true KPP forward role in the VFL because of too many talls playing in the forward line.
That is all we have at present.

View attachment 1966105
View attachment 1966106

One goal from our forward line. Absurd. Horrifying.

They are letting the entire team down, they are letting the coaches down. And obviously themselves, but that's on them.

Wonder how team meetings are going ATM. The forwards huddled in protective circle, pating each other on the back encouragingly while blocking the stern looks from teammates and coaches.

We knew there was going to be a let down after bringing sustained energy ,well for 3 1/2 quarters , for the first time this year against Melbourne.

I'm not one for this optimist/pessimist BS ,I just see us struggling mentally when the going gets tough this year.

Everyone's struggling from the coaches down imo. We can have all the excuses in the world from poor kicking ,to umpires, injuries ,whatever else , we just need to win a game where we have to tough it out to have some chance of getting going again. This week is such a match.

I don't really care too much what changes we have this week. Just get Gardiner out of the forward line , it was a dumb idea that we doubled down on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back