Unofficial Preview Round 7 v Giants, Anzac Day

Remove this Banner Ad

This game is going to come around very quick, a good thing with the loss last night IMO.

Had a look at the weather forecast for Canberra, fine and cold all week, expected minimum on Thursday is 3 degrees, will be a chilly evening.

Early tip - Lions by 1, Joe 4 goals.

This game is going to come around very quick, a good thing with the loss last night IMO.

Had a look at the weather forecast for Canberra, fine and cold all week, expected minimum on Thursday is 3 degrees, will be a chilly evening.

Early tip - Lions by 1, Joe 4 goals.

Forecast for 7-10 deg for most of the game with a feels like factor of 5-8 deg. Unsure if prime conditions for McKenna returning after two hammys :$

Regarding McKenna anyone from Ireland should feel right at home in a night game at Canberra.

I don't think Connor's hammys know their country of origin though :p

Lions are undefeated at Manaka oval v GWS.
However, the latest timeslot was 4.35pm.
Fort played in the win in 2022. He had 19 disposals, 1 mark, 24 H/O and 7 clearances.
Brownlow votes
2023: Neale, Cameron & Rich - Win margin 21 points
2022: McCluggage, Mathieson & Rayner - Win margin 40 points

How did he only get a week . Is the bloke ok ? I thought it'd be 3 for sure.

I saw a clip of similar incidents that previously got a week so I'm not surprised.

No idea how the opponent is. Sore I imagine. Those guys take a pounding week after week. Insane really.

We have very good half forwards in my opinion with McCarthy, Lohmann, Bailey and Ah Chee.

I'm not sure if any of them are providing the link and creativity between the midfield and forwards that we were getting with Zorko late last year. McCarthy is in good form, but Lohmann is still inexperienced, Bailey is out of form/injured and Ah Chee is OK at best currently.

Compare out half forwards to what Geelong get out of Close and Miers.

I'm not sure if any of them are providing the link and creativity between the midfield and forwards that we were getting with Zorko late last year. McCarthy is in good form, but Lohmann is still inexperienced, Bailey is out of form/injured and Ah Chee is OK at best currently.

Compare out half forwards to what Geelong get out of Close and Miers.

McCluggage and Berry play that link up role a lot of the time. Clugs will always be looking for a running handball when our half forwards mark it and he gets it because he hits the target every time.

McCarthy is incredibly good on the link up.

Both Hipwood and Daniher are also very good at finding targets inside fifty when marking it at half forward. They are two of the better tall forwards in the league at it. They are also like Berry where they either hit their target lace out of shank it with no in between.

Close and Miers are both less of a goal threat than our half forwards. They both also have one of the greatest lead up forward of this century in Hawkins.

One of our most defining H&A games in a long time. Win and I think you can put last week down as a mulligan and pray we never have to play in the wet again. Lose and you start to question where our group is at mentally and our ability to get back into the right headspace without an off season reset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Fort, Smith, McKenna
Out: Oscar, Gardiner, Lyons

I am completely done with the Gardiner forward experiment. Meanwhile, Henry Smith is starting to show genuine AFL signs and is ready for a debut. Would not play him as a full time ruck in his debut, but think he and Fort could combine and share ruck minutes, While Smith is very serviceable as a marking forward.

I think it isn't a bad idea to give Joe a traditional full forward role given the short turnaround to Thursday's game. He carried a lot of ruck work in a wet weather game.
Yep I like this thought process. Smith has done well in the VFL but shouldn't be shouldering the full responsibility of the ruck just yet. And Daniher deserves to rest forward for a whole game after Saturday.

They're challenging both Hogan & Toby's suspensions.

Edit. In a way I hope one or both get off. Beating a Giants team minus those 2 (& possibly Taylor) tells us nothing in the grand scheme of things. But if we were to have a win against a close to full strength team, we may be able to give last week another mulligan.

Last edited:
They're challenging both Hogan & Toby's suspensions.
No surprise in that after Charlie last week.

Hogan's charge: Striking - Intentional, Low impact & High contact.

Hogan clearly hit a player behind play in the head area.
Anything behind play is automatically "intentional" so that won't be downgraded.
Low impact - you can't go any lower on the scale.
High - Clearly hit him high with what looks like an open hand.
The delayed Carlton player reaction should not come into discussions, but it will on appeal.

Hogan will miss our game. We should be glad as we need to win this won no matter how we get there.
Green i will comment on separately.

Hogan and Greene are huge outs but unless we improve our efficiency going forward then they will win comfortably.

Can see another game where we break even or win the 'key stats' but get burnt for poor skills and decision making.

They are a high scoring team who make the opposition pay.

No surprise in that after Charlie last week.

Hogan's charge: Striking - Intentional, Low impact & High contact.

Hogan clearly hit a player behind play in the head area.
Anything behind play is automatically "intentional" so that won't be downgraded.
Low impact - you can't go any lower on the scale.
High - Clearly hit him high with what looks like an open hand.
The delayed Carlton player reaction should not come into discussions, but it will on appeal.

Hogan will miss our game. We should be glad as we need to win this won no matter how we get there.
Green i will comment on separately.

Hogan shouldn’t get off.

Without going into a detailed analysis Greene should get off. If you dissect the incident he did turn his body which may get him in the end. But he had as much right as the Carlton player to contest the ball and no one was injured (did he even get him high?).

The Hogan one is an example of the kind thing the AFL wants to stamp out. They let Hewett get away with something similar on Neale, but the reasoning at the time from Laura Kane was that it was at the stoppage (which was a cop out) whereas they wanted to stamp out those behind the ball (e.g. Hogan).

Last edited:
I think Green should get off, but it will be a 50/50 decision, i think.

A very recent AFL report into player concussion highlighted most concussions happen in marking contests.
How will the AFL handle this going forward, as they really do want to reduce players concussions.
The players should also want to reduce the incidence of concussion too.

For many years (way back to Brown & Riewoldt MOTY) i have thought that players going back with the flight of the ball, not only put themselves in danger but also their teammates and opposition players.
Commentators and past players and lots of fans always say how brave that action is and shows huge courage.
I believe the players are just stupid and should adjust how they approach that "instant few moments" before putting everyone at risk of injury.
At some stage you need to turn around and have eyes for the ball facing the same direction of where the ball is coming from.
Could just be to get a touch on the ball, this happens a fair bit. Or just not put yourself in that position in the first place.
I am not talking about players coming in from the side.

IMAGE ONE

Green leading out from the forward pocket area facing the ball in the direction it is coming from.
Both players have their eyes on the ball.
IMAGE 2
I believe players need to change their mindset and that Boyd if he still decides to continue must change momentum and turn his back to contest facing the direction of the incoming ball. That action gives both players a fair shot at contesting.
Or, as a lot of players do now, turn and try to get a touch or spoil the ball and not commit to a dangerous mark practice.
However, at this stage both players have lifted off the ground and a collision is inevitable.
IMAGE 3 & 4
Both players momentum has them off the ground and they both brace for impact.
Greens trajectory is in more of an upward direction, he braces, they both close their eyes IMAGE 5 taken from the side and collects Boyd high.
Umpires correctly pays a high free kick as that is what the umpire sees from their position.

Some people will say this MRO report is why the AFL changed the rules in regard to the Maynard incident.
Bur Maynard was running towards a player already in clear possession of the ball. A completely different situation.

IMAGE 1
1713748827604.png
IMAGE 2
1713748957596.png
IMAGE 3
1713749403589.png
IMAGE 4
1713749822066.png
IMAGE 5

1713750768333.png

Hogan shouldn’t get off.

Without going into a detailed analysis Greene should get off. If you dissect the incident he did turn his body which may get him in the end. But he had as much right as the Carlton player to contest the ball and no one was injured (did he even get him high?).
In my opinion, Greene never contested the ball.

He ran towards the drop of the ball and jumped, and immediately turned in to a bracing pose.

At no point, from the moment he planted his foot to take the jump, was he contesting a mark.

His opponent caught the ball as Greene jumped.

Greene was a fraction late, but he was still late.

The AFL is saying, don’t brace to protect yourself in such a situation. Protect the other player, the potential victim.

Catch them in a bear hug, and roll to the ground. Even if that means potentially hurting your own sternum or breaking a collarbone on landing.

Your duty of care is for your opponent, not yourself.

At least, that’s what we’re being told by the media.

In my opinion, Greene never contested the ball.

He ran towards the drop of the ball and jumped, and immediately turned in to a bracing pose.

At no point, from the moment he planted his foot to take the jump, was he contesting a mark.

His opponent caught the ball as Greene jumped.

Greene was a fraction late, but he was still late.

The AFL is saying, don’t brace to protect yourself in such a situation. Protect the other player, the potential victim.

Catch them in a bear hug, and roll to the ground. Even if that means potentially hurting your own sternum or breaking a collarbone on landing.

Your duty of care is for your opponent, not yourself.

At least, that’s what we’re being told by the media.

I think it’s 70/30 he gets off…in favour of not getting off.

But he is my favourite player outside the Lions #FreeToby

Difference between the Greene and Maynard hits?

Both committed to a low chance of success football action football action in the path of an opponent and in protecting themselves took an opponent high with force

Don’t think Greene will get as lucky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back