Unofficial Preview Round 7 v Giants, Anzac Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Greene incident is very similar to Wright (except for the injury to the player). With the AFL messaging this year it should be a week off IMO. Similar for Hogan cant see how that can be downgraded.

Fort in for Oscar. No brainer.
McKenna in for Lyons. No brainer - we need McKenna in to help with the ball movement and Lyons was a massively selection blunder.

Would like to see:
HSmith in for Gardiner. Fort hasnt been great and could do with support. Smith sounds like he is doing well and should get a taste but also isnt probably up to solo ruck. Gardiner hasnt really done a lot. Little bit of a physical presence but not really done a defensive role to shut out anyone. Not really working at this point

Difference between the Greene and Maynard hits?

Both committed to a low chance of success football action football action in the path of an opponent and in protecting themselves took an opponent high with force

Don’t think Greene will get as lucky

I reckon it's quite similar actions eise to the Wright one as mentioned above.

I would laugh if their lawyers use the good bloke defense for Hogan, and then have to quietly ignore Greene's past history.

I think we have to bring in McKenna given the display on the weekend. Just not sure where he fits in as two of our worst performing players (tunstill and lyons) are both mids. weird game in that the forwards did poorly but pretty tough conditions. and we got plenty of it but did stuff all with it.

I'll go:

IN McKenna OUT Lyons

I thought Lyons might go well in those conditions, had a good amount of time to impact but just didn't. I think he is now trapped as too good for vfl / too slow for afl.

IN Smith OUT McInerney.

IN Robertson (as sub) OUT Tunstill - i assume dev was held over from the ressies? only had 8 touches. short turnaround so want some genuinely fresh legs as sub

IN Sharp OUT ah chee. again short turn around. let's be tacticly (for once!) and bring in the club's best runner. so no chance it happens

Mids: Neale, McClugage, Dunkley, Rayner. Wings: berry, fletcher, sharp with DEV as sub for either a winger or mid

Difference between the Greene and Maynard hits?

Both committed to a low chance of success football action football action in the path of an opponent and in protecting themselves took an opponent high with force

Don’t think Greene will get as lucky

Brayshaw had the ball. It wasn’t a 50/50 contest. Both players had equal right to contest the ball in Toby case.

It’s always going to be the case that the player running with the flight of the ball is going to be far more exposed and at risk than the one running towards it. There’s no way to get rid of the risk. If Toby stays front on trying to take the chest mark it’s likely his elbows go into the Carlton blokes head and fk him up. Pick your poison.

The trouble with Charlie getting off is that no one really dispassionately looks at the circumstances . They're now emboldened to think there must be some hope of getting off.

like others, stated a couple of weeks back, if we won two of Dees, Geelong, GWS we could build into the next block of games. We get GWS at a good time, they also played Saturday interstate and don't have a great record at Canberra. They just held out Saints, albeit with a few outs during the game and IF all or a couple of Coniglio, Taylor, Greene, Hogan miss this Thursday I would be disappointed if we don't win.

Brayshaw had the ball. It wasn’t a 50/50 contest. Both players had equal right to contest the ball in Toby case.

It’s always going to be the case that the player running with the flight of the ball is going to be far more exposed and at risk than the one running towards it. There’s no way to get rid of the risk. If Toby stays front on trying to take the chest mark it’s likely his elbows go into the Carlton blokes head and fk him up. Pick your poison.

You have the right to spoil, smother, tackle and bump as well but if you take someone high especially when you are not in the act marking, etc. you deserve what comes to you

You have the right to spoil, smother, tackle and bump as well but if you take someone high especially when you are not in the act marking, etc. you deserve what comes to you

The debate is whether he was in the act of marking. The fact he turns will hurt him and probably mean the suspension is upheld.

This is another 50/50 game. A win would be a good boost to our top 8 chances and a confidence boost.
My biggest interest this week is where these players play on the day not where they are named.
That's assuming Answerth holds his spot which he should.

Zorko, Wilmot, McKenna
Wilmott to wing is my hope as Mc Kenna untried there and Zorko not a winger although he has found himself there at times over the years.
The only other option with McKenna returning is Zorko back to fwd/mid role which is an improvement on Tunstill/Dev/Lyons.
Would like to see Tunstill again though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Lyons might go well in those conditions, had a good amount of time to impact but just didn't. I think he is now trapped as too good for vfl / too slow for afl.
Yep, I agree. Selection panel need to be tough here and apply the same thinking they did with Rhys Mathieson. Let him collect 39 touches a game in the VFL, but stick firm that there's younger guys who can be tried in the roll.
There's often a lot of pushback on "playing the kids" vs "playing for now". In this case though, we know what Lyons brings and I don't think it's what we need. We can give other players blocks of 4 games and see if they can step up. Maybe we find one that can make the position their own.
I love what Lyons has brought to the team since he arrived, but the game has moved past him.

With the big 3-4 out's GWS will have, the Lions have no excuse to win by less than 6 goals. We beat them there this time last year by 21, and by 40 the year before that. I'll be bitterly disappointed if it even goes close!

They're challenging both Hogan & Toby's suspensions.

Edit. In a way I hope one or both get off. Beating a Giants team minus those 2 (& possibly Taylor) tells us nothing in the grand scheme of things. But if we were to have a win against a close to full strength team, we may be able to give last week another mulligan.
We just need a win, really don’t care how we get it.

My only concern with a 5 day turnaround is fatigue from the wet slog.

Otherwise, on a dry deck, I’m hoping we continue the form of two weeks ago in which case I think it’ll be a nice confidence boosting win.

If there was actually any doubt, Fort will come in for Oscar after Fages confirmed that today.

Edit. McKenna also available for selection, but didn't confirm if he'd be back in, but you'd assume he would.

If there was actually any doubt, Fort will come in for Oscar after Fages confirmed that today.

Edit. McKenna also available for selection, but didn't confirm if he'd be back in, but you'd assume he would.
You would expect McKenna returns as he got through the VFL game.
Unless he had some soreness/tightness after the VFL game.
Then it would be a matter of how he trained during the week.
I am happy for him to either return to AFL or get another less pressure VFL game under his belt.
He has missed 5 of the 6 games played so need to get that hammy right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back