Preview AFL Round 5 Melbourne V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for this week?

IMO Black won't play. Hawksley gets dropped for Ash. Not sure about who comes out for Mitch, but is it a possibility we drop another tall? I'm not sure about Melbournes forward line TBH, do we need all of Staker, Merret, Patfull and Maguire this week?

Few headaches for the Match Committee this week I would think

Looking at the two teams, its hard to see how Melbourne are going to win enough of the ball to really hurt us. Jamar's going to have to play out of his skin, I reckon.

I just don't think Melbourne have enough big bodied midfielders, to be honest. Plus I can't see their young forwardline stopping Drummond, McGrath, Johnstone and Patfull from driving us through the backline.

This all points to Brown and Fevola getting plenty of supply. Even if Frawley and Warnock are at the top of their games there's not much they can do if Rich, Brennan and Drummond can find the space to pinpoint their passes.

The Demons will come out firing and will probably run us close for a while, but as soon as their intensity fades I think we have the players to hurt them.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts, TomFC. The only other thing I can add is I expect Luey & Clark to run Jamar off his legs & control the ruck as the game moves on. Was very impressed with Luey against 2 mountains last week.

The only other thing is talk of dropping intensity due to the opponent. Apart from our coaching panel recognising this & hammering the point we have 1 huge counter this year. Competition for positions. Anyone who takes it 2% easy will be in the magoos next week, & they know it.

Lions by 50. And that is not undervalueing Melbourne. Our list is 5 years in front of theirs in terms of development, & this is what we should be able to do if we are serous contenders.

I will add one thing which has not been mentioned so far. Melbourne is the only team in the competition that is playing man on man football pretty much the entire game. They started week 1 against Hawthorn playing modern zone football and were woeful. They had no idea what they were doing and so went back to man on man football and they have been doing it well in the three games since. The manning up approach shocked Collingwood and they did not adapt at all well, especially Maxwell and Shaw who suddenly had opponents and were not able to float around like the usually do.

I am sure that the Demons will try the same against the Lions but it should not be a surprise. Like Collingwood the Lions get a lot of run from the back and the Demons will work hard keeping Drummond and Johnstone accountable and shutting them down as soon as they get the ball.

I find this a worry TBH, we've struggled in pervious year against man-on-man defence.

I wouldn't mind if the same 22 take to the field against the D's on Sat, however Clark is just to important to leave out of the team, glad it's not me doing team selection. :confused:

Things i would like to see,
1. Banfield Vs Davey - head to head Banfield has the pace to match Davey, a chance to learn from a Jet can be benifical for future development.

2.Sylvia Vs Patfull / Proud - Dangerman for the Lions needs a good alround player to stay close and go toe too toe, exploit the defensive side of Syliva could help keep him on a short leash, Proud like Banfield can learn a trick or two from Sylvia and add another string to his Bow.

Shock inclusion Bartlett (no not really but i can't wait to see him play)

Pretty much sums up my thoughts, TomFC. The only other thing I can add is I expect Luey & Clark to run Jamar off his legs & control the ruck as the game moves on. Was very impressed with Luey against 2 mountains last week.

The only other thing is talk of dropping intensity due to the opponent. Apart from our coaching panel recognising this & hammering the point we have 1 huge counter this year. Competition for positions. Anyone who takes it 2% easy will be in the magoos next week, & they know it.

Lions by 50. And that is not undervalueing Melbourne. Our list is 5 years in front of theirs in terms of development, & this is what we should be able to do if we are serous contenders.

Yeah, hopefully you're right and Clark can gain some confidence. Certainly makes sense that Jamar will find it tougher towards the end of the game.

Not so convinced about your point on 'dropping intensity'. There was a pretty significant drop in intensity against Port once we were confident that game was won.

The moment that stuck out for me was Hawksley's 50 metre backpass to Tredrea. If anyone would be worried about being dropped it's Hawksley, and yet it was such a lazy bit of football.

But then, I suspect he won't line up against Melbourne so maybe that'll just prove the point to everyone else.

Certainly agree we're a lot further along the development path than the Demons are. We should win this comfortably. Will be very concerned if we don't.

I just don't think Melbourne have enough big bodied midfielders, to be honest. Plus I can't see their young forwardline stopping Drummond, McGrath, Johnstone and Patfull from driving us through the backline.

I find this interesting.

With Jones, Moloney, McDonald, Sylvia and McKenzie, I would have thought we have plenty of big bodies in there (McDonald isn't what I'd call big but as tough as anyone and was excellent last week). If you beat us in the midfield it will be through talent, not strength.

Would have also thought a small forwardline coupled with the pressure we have put on in the last three rounds would be the perfect way to stop your drive from the backline. Not saying we'll stop it, but definitely easier than with a more traditional forward setup.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the knowledge from Lions supporters in this thread. FWIW I think it'll be a close game but you'll pull away in the end. Lions by 27.

Can't wait to go to this one, hopefully we get a reasonable crowd, but the rain could wreck that :( .

G'day getns thought i wouldd offer some of my points of view about match ups;

Frawley vs Fev and Warnock vs. Brown, these two have kicked around 50% of your score this season, so stopping them is along way to winning the game.

Batram vs. Banfield, has been a real find for you guys and still slips under the radar!

Jamar vs. Clark/Luey, Jamar in career best form against Clark fantastic 09 season and emerging star in Luenberger.

Up forward, we obviously don't have a big KPF forwards like you do. I am expecting Bate, Petterd, Green adn Sylvia all whom are 185-191 cm tall so its a mobile fwd line.

I would match up Bail as a defensive HFF on Drummond, to try and curb his influence accross half back.

McKenzie on Brennan, is 6 cm shorter, but is leading tackle count in the ALF has a big engine and athletic enough (still nowhere as freakish) to go with Brennan.

The first quarter will be very important, melbourne need to get off to a good start, to give themselves the best chance to win. We can't afford to play catch up footy. Likewise Brisbane coming of a tough (but very gutsy) win in tough conditions will want to start well and not have to play catch up footy.

My verdict; Brisbane by 27 points.

Monday previews – well done All. :thumbsu:

United Nations of Brisbane – nice call Supermercado and much preferred to the ‘foreign legion’ quoted by some… and the crashing ‘house of cards’… interesting, I see your Ricky Petterd fingernail and raise you with a Fevola boot and Barassi’s ‘10 year rule’ drafting Wade, Davis and Rantall. 2 years to play in the GF and 3 to win it – ponder that -- but I digress.

Yeah I expect/accept there will be non-humorous taunts from the crowd – the doggies came up with beer pouring. Your mob, from the other side of the river with a degree in mathematical science and inability to refer to players by name but by number, will no doubt call out to Fev with a “Hey… square root of 25 – bet you kept one photo”… send in the needle and thread. ;)

Yep, Grimes is a bewdy but your other backs of Frawley and Warnock are IMO just better than serviceable against most but currently, not yet against Brown and Fev – with this being our only H&A game at the ‘G’ this season the Lions players will be wanting to engrave “I can play well at the G” on their CV’s.

The Lions for me, no margin as I expect word to spread at both the ¾ time huddles that Weevil has already brought out ‘the lady’.

Ooo dead wrong there - frawley is the most promising young back in the league (and yes, I have seen pears play..) and warnock rarely gets beaten. Selling them both a tad short

I'm going, sitting in the Members with the old man as he played for both teams. Going to be an interesting night as I am lions to the core and he is Dee's! Can't wait.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Sylvia's scathing attack on the tribunal:

"You've just got to steer away from the head-high contact, he (Kennedy) was probably lucky in a way, I suppose," Sylvia said.

does anyone else think a one match ban is in order?

This is a must win, percentage booster if we are serious contenders.

This shouldn't be a danger game as some are making it out to be.

Ins - McGrath, Clark.
Out - Selwood, Hawksley.

Lions by 54.

I find this interesting.

With Jones, Moloney, McDonald, Sylvia and McKenzie, I would have thought we have plenty of big bodies in there (McDonald isn't what I'd call big but as tough as anyone and was excellent last week). If you beat us in the midfield it will be through talent, not strength.

Would have also thought a small forwardline coupled with the pressure we have put on in the last three rounds would be the perfect way to stop your drive from the backline. Not saying we'll stop it, but definitely easier than with a more traditional forward setup.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the knowledge from Lions supporters in this thread. FWIW I think it'll be a close game but you'll pull away in the end. Lions by 27.

Can't wait to go to this one, hopefully we get a reasonable crowd, but the rain could wreck that :( .

Moloney I'll give you. Sylvia too, but he seems to be playing forward of the ball. Jones is just average sized.

McDonald and McKenzie aren't big bodied at all. They're tough, but they're not big.

I doubt there's a player in Brisbane's 22 who weighs less than McDonald or McKenzie. Wouldn't be too many smaller than Jones, for that matter. Our midfield depends on power rather than pace.

Moloney I'll give you. Sylvia too, but he seems to be playing forward of the ball. Jones is just average sized.

McDonald and McKenzie aren't big bodied at all. They're tough, but they're not big.

I doubt there's a player in Brisbane's 22 who weighs less than McDonald or McKenzie. Wouldn't be too many smaller than Jones, for that matter. Our midfield depends on power rather than pace.

How strong is Jack Redden looking this year?! That tackle on Lake last week was amazing

How strong is Jack Redden looking this year?! That tackle on Lake last week was amazing

His pressure and tackling up forward has been great, but he clearly struggled to hit a target which led to a handful of wasteful i50's. Wish we knew more about his alleged hip injury so we could know if it is going to resolve itself or if he'll need a significant rest through the year.

Just about everyone in the team struggled to hit a target going inside 50 last week.

I agree, but Redden's poor i50's particularly stood out for me as I can think of at least three where it looked like he was trying to pass it to doggies. I'm not trying to pot the kid - I'd just like a better sense of whether it is injury related or simply a blemish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back