Preview AFL Round 5 Melbourne V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you could say the same about Pagan in his time at North. Or Wayne Bennett in his time at the Broncos. Coaches that are very disciplined in their structures tend to be successful, and often end up over running sides. This has been an early trend for Voss too.

It helps when you have an absolute brilliant team. But like Lethal after 2004 and Pagan at Carlton, you can often get shown up on gameday if you don't have a few tricks up your sleeve. BTW you don't have to throw your gameplan out the window by just throwing a few people around into different positions.

It helps when you have an absolute brilliant team. But like Lethal after 2004 and Pagan at Carlton, you can often get shown up on gameday if you don't have a few tricks up your sleeve. BTW you don't have to throw your gameplan out the window by just throwing a few people around into different positions.

From memory every time we threw Leppa forward to mix things up we ended up losing anyway. If Plan A isn't working, odds are Plan B won't work either. I reckon you have more chance of winning by having faith in the players to start getting plan A right, rather than trying to do something the players are not so familiar with.

In the end, it comes down to results, and 3 of our 4 wins have been after we were down early. How many of those would we have lost if Voss had prematurely starting getting funky with the matchups?

For the most part it seems that Vossy's game plan is working, we are 4-1. No-one has a 100% fool proof plan all the time. I was upset Saturday night, and would still rather be 5-0, but it is far from the end of the season, let alone the world.

We weren't the only favourites to loose this week - round 5 has been my worst for tipping so far this season :eek:

Got back late last night from the marathon weekend of footy. Congrats to Melbourne, they were superb. You could see the pressure they were exerting on our ball carrier was killing us, and as soon as we turned it over the speed at which they peeled off their man to spread meant it was coming into their forward 50 far too often. Their was few standouts for us, but Black looked sensational after sitting the week out.

A big kudos to the Melbourne supporters on Saturday night too. They have had to put up with a number of lean years, and they made a crowd of 36k sound like double that many. They were so genuinely happy with the win, and as I walked out bitterly disappointed I had to comfort myself with the fact that if we had to lose, I was glad it was to the Dees.

I have to say I was surprised to see so many of our supporters there on Saturday too. It was definitely one of our better crowds in recent years in Melbourne, and beforehand I wasn't too sure what sort of backlash there would be from the Melbourne faithful against the whole logo/guernsey debacle. There was probably 20 odd people on my flight home too last night with lions gear on, so glad to see a number travel.

In the other games I saw - It was my first ANZAC day match and the emotion and sheer silence in the G before the first bounce brought a tear to the eye (although I was hungover and we had lost the night before). Unfortunately the game was a fizzer, and the atmosphere was fairly lacking for the rest of the game. I didn't think Collingwood were sensational, but Essendon were simply woeful.

Yesterday's game was probably the most enjoyable. It was great to see 76k+ there again, and was bar far the loudest of the four matches. Even though Carlton won comfortably, I always felt that Geelong were going to turn it on at any time, and we'd end up with a close game. This fact probably kept the crowd in the game. It's a much easier experience sitting there and not caring (too much) who wins, and also surprising how much more you pick up on what's going on around the ground.

All in all, a good but exhausting weekend! Bring on Sydney this week.

Go Lions!

Thanks fellas. I had you to win by +25. $175 down the gurgler. What on earth happened?

I knew you'd say that.

But we're talking Melbourne here. Melbourne !!!!

You didn't just get done, you were flogged .......by Melbourne!!

I never saw the game, but I still can't believe it.

I knew you'd say that.

They're a better side than Carlton.

Thanks fellas. I had you to win by +25. $175 down the gurgler. What on earth happened?

Foxtel 1 on now,and from what i can see,the Dees are a more complete than Brown and Fev.
And to answer browndog,Geelong are better than Brisbane.
Brown is no good at the G.
The Dees are very good!!
P.S the Blues will give your mob a towell up next time:)

I knew you'd say that.

Melbourne played some extremely good football, actually pretty similar to what Carlton did to you guys yesterday.

They're a better side than Carlton.

Usually, I don't like to make comparisons based on what Team A did to Team B and then on what Team B did (or didn't do) to Team C.

But bugger me, Melbourne were freaking awesome the other night......looked to me like the best opposition we played this year.

OK...we were down a fair bit.... but let's give some credit to the quality of the opposition....and let's not forget they were dead unlucky against the Pies.

On current form they will make the 8 and maybe even the top 6.

Usually, I don't like to make comparisons based on what Team A did to Team B and then on what Team B did (or didn't do) to Team C.

But bugger me, Melbourne were freaking awesome the other night......looked to me like the best opposition we played this year.

OK...we were down a fair bit.... but let's give some credit to the quality of the opposition....and let's not forget they were dead unlucky against the Pies.

On current form they will make the 8 and maybe even the top 6.

Agreed. I said in another thread that they are the best team we've played so far this year.

Melbourne played some extremely good football, actually pretty similar to what Carlton did to you guys yesterday.

Yeah, lots of similarities. Constant movement, clean disposal, great pressure on the ball carrier.

I would say that Geelong looked a bit less powerless than we looked, though. For large parts of the game we were witches hats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff Gieschen

Gieschen said Petterd was lucky to get away with his mark during the opening term of Saturday night's match at the MCG."Ricky leapt slightly early … but when he got up there, there were two things that he did. He placed his hands in his opponent's back and he also gave his opponent a push," Gieschen said.
"Clearly in this situation, the umpire has made a mistake and didn't see it clearly and missed an obvious marking interference to Travis Johnstone."

What was clearly evident at the game were the two instances where we received the free, took advantage, and were pulled up to come back behind the mark which eventuated in clear disadvantage to us and may have resulted in goals. I noticed Melbourne obtained advanatge more than once without being pulled up. I am clearly at a loss to the interpretation because both occasions were fairly fluid movements without either team stopping.

When you're up, you're up.

I don't think its an indication of where we at at - I remember back in 2007, we beat Collingwood by more than 80 points but they ended up playing in the preliminary final and we missed the finals.

Melbourne is going through a good phase at the moment but the trick now is to maintain the momentum. I think it was a good loss for us, experienced a different opposition who were prepared to take us on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back