Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

screenshot_20240428_221129_chrome-jpg.1974114

Tell the truth, even if your voice shakes

Lucky for us you aren't a selector. Cerra comes straight in and Motlop gives us forward pressure and bite around the ball drop in the forward line and is a good finisher.
Plus I think McGovern replaces Young if both are fit and ready to go .
Cerra in for Carroll, Motlop for Durdin, Fogarty for Binns, McGovern for Young and Saad for Cowan are all pretty straightforward and uncontroversial changes I would have thought.

Martin I've pretty much given up on counting, just one of those blokes who will never be able to get his body right. Very unfortunate coz we really need a player like that.

Cerra in for Carroll, Motlop for Durdin, Fogarty for Binns, McGovern for Young and Saad for Cowan are all pretty straightforward and uncontroversial changes I would have thought.

Martin I've pretty much given up on counting, just one of those blokes who will never be able to get his body right. Very unfortunate coz we really need a player like that.
Yeah, I don't even bring Martin or Marchbank into conversations anymore.

Fancy that. The Carlton footy club didn't complain in gather round when they beat Freo with some umpire assistance. LoL

All of Carlton's narrow wins this season have been assisted by the umpires lol

Yep and some who were certain umpiring plays no part in wins and losses and that mistakes or frees 20m out from goal are no different to when it happens on the wings.

Carlton fans complaining about umpiring is as amusing a WCE fans complaining about calls in Perth.

AFL confirms McKay 50m was correctly applied.

The AFL has explained the decision that resulted in a crucial 50m penalty being paid against the Blues

THE AFL has backed the decision to award a contentious 50m penalty against Carlton during the final term of Saturday's loss to Geelong at the MCG.

Early in the fourth quarter, Harry McKay was beaten for a mark on the Members' wing by Cats star Jeremy Cameron before the Blues forward, who appeared to pick up a knock to his leg in the contest, briefly stood on the mark and then hobbled back towards defensive 50 having seen his skipper Patrick Cripps stand on the mark and put his hands up as Cameron prepared to kick.

But the field umpire, having nominated McKay as the player to stand, awarded a 50-metre penalty to the Cats because McKay had illegally moved off the mark. Cameron converted from the resulting shot on goal, stretching Geelong's lead to 21 points.

The AFL's Executive General Manager of Football, Laura Kane, said in instances where two or more players look to stand on the mark, the field umpire will nominate which player should stand, allowing others to move out of the protective area.

In the instance on Saturday, Kane said the umpire called for McKay to stand, but the Blues forward seemingly did not hear the call and illegally moved off the mark.

"There's a little bit of common sense that gets applied," Kane told Footy Feed Extra when asked how umpires determine which player should stand the mark.

"If a player self selects and they're the closest to where the mark has been paid and then in fact (is) standing on that mark, it's very clearly them. If two players, which sometimes happens, both go to the spot and the umpire is trying to differentiate who is staying there and who is about to run off, the umpire may select one of the players and instruct them to stay and instruct the other player to get out of the way.

"In the case on the weekend, the umpire has instructed Harry to stay on the mark, but the opposite has occurred and a free kick has been paid.

"It's practical application. If there's one player there, it's very obvious. But sometimes there's not, there's multiple. The controlling umpire closest to the contest and making a decision will make a call and very loudly and clearly tell the players to stay put.

"But in this case, unfortunately, the player has headed off and the 50 metres has been paid."

Have they ticked off all of the rubbish free kicks ( pittonet in ruck, deliberate out of bounds) or just that one ?
I could go back and watch the replay and look for one's that went against us but I ain't that petty.
Bad decisions occurred both ways.

Just for the sake of clarity for those Blues fans that still feel so hard fine by with the umpiring

Blues have had 22 goals from free kicks

Cats have had 3 goals from free kicks

But no there’s a big conspiracy that the Blues are so hard done by
Maybe , just maybe, free kicks are part and parcel of the game irrespective of where they are paid, and our players are a bit better at drawing free kicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back