Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 5 - Suns v Hawks Sat April 13th 7:30pm AEST (People First)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell’s coaching record

50 games
15 wins
35 losses

How much longer has he got?

You'll have to get used to posting this for another two years at least is my guess.

Threw himself on the Clarkson grenade.

Just finished the game on delay, all the young kids are looking great Clohesy has single handedly put Brandon Ellis into the 2's. Graham's tackling as a 2nd gamer on some much bigger Hawthorn bodies was great to watch.

Still a bit rough going forward and missing some chances but great progress has already been made so early.

Mitchell’s coaching record

50 games
15 wins
35 losses

How much longer has he got?

And - I feel like a broken record with the number of times I've said this - that's the problem with appointing a club legend as senior coach. The same time in the role as Craig McRae, a year longer than Brad Scott and when you consider his additional time on the coaching staff, including a period as 'the next senior coach in waiting', he's not that far behind Nicks and Longmuir.

But he's different in that only Longmuir played for the club he's now coaching and Longmuir had a reasonable playing career, he wasn't an all-time great. So with Longmuir, or any of the others (Brad Scott did have a cup of coffee at Hawthorn to start his career), if they'd taken over at the Hawks at the start of 2022 after three years on the staff and taken them to 15-35 over their first 50 games on the back of an 0-5 start, they'd be long odds to even make it to the end of their third season. The pitchforks would be out, not just from the media, but from the supporters. But there seems to be very little of the latter, as far as I can tell. Before this weekend, I was still reading from a lot of neutrals on here about how well Sam Mitchell is doing, that he 'clearly' is on the right track and I'll just say, that's a pretty dangerous "she'll be right" mentality when you're 0-4 to start your third season.

And from the supporters, it's like "I'm starting to have concerns about Sam" and "I'm starting to worry that Sam isn't our next premiership coach." They're desperate for him to not fail. Whereas, if it were someone else, right now, I reckon they'd be saying "Time's up! GTFO and stop destroying my club! Take your staff with you!"

And - I feel like a broken record with the number of times I've said this - that's the problem with appointing a club legend as senior coach. The same time in the role as Craig McRae, a year longer than Brad Scott and when you consider his additional time on the coaching staff, including a period as 'the next senior coach in waiting', he's not that far behind Nicks and Longmuir.

But he's different in that only Longmuir played for the club he's now coaching and Longmuir had a reasonable playing career, he wasn't an all-time great. So with Longmuir, or any of the others (Brad Scott did have a cup of coffee at Hawthorn to start his career), if they'd taken over at the Hawks at the start of 2022 after three years on the staff and taken them to 15-35 over their first 50 games on the back of an 0-5 start, they'd be long odds to even make it to the end of their third season. The pitchforks would be out, not just from the media, but from the supporters. But there seems to be very little of the latter, as far as I can tell. Before this weekend, I was still reading from a lot of neutrals on here about how well Sam Mitchell is doing, that he 'clearly' is on the right track and I'll just say, that's a pretty dangerous "she'll be right" mentality when you're 0-4 to start your third season.

And from the supporters, it's like "I'm starting to have concerns about Sam" and "I'm starting to worry that Sam isn't our next premiership coach." They're desperate for him to not fail. Whereas, if it were someone else, right now, I reckon they'd be saying "Time's up! GTFO and stop destroying my club! Take your staff with you!"
As a Freo fan it's bizarre listening to the media bang on about how Hawks & North are on the rise with young exiting lists while tipping Freo to finish bottom 8. That Clarko and Mitchell are shoe ins to lead their clubs back up the ladder while Longmuir is on thin ice.

Even weirder that apparently JL has no idea according to genius's like David King despite him fashioning wins from a team with probably the least talented forward setup in the comp while untouchable Bevo is getting pumped despite have JUH, Naughton, Darcy, Bont etc or Hinkley who has underachieved for about 8 years but also seems to escape any serious criticism from the peanut gallery.

Its a parallel universe.

Watching the game, it seemed the Hawks were mostly tough enough in the contest, but looked slow and tired when the ball got on the outside.

If the Suns remotely got a free-running passage going, there seemed to be red jumpers everywhere with Hawks sagging off or well behind them.

Back