Preview Brisbane Lions v Geelong Round 6 (Saturday 20 April 7:30PM @ Gabba)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day Lions fans, I'm a bit of a stat head and just thought I'd drop this here for you all.

In the past 17 years the top 5 teams for Inside 50 differential per game have been;

1. 2012 Hawks +14.1 per game (Made the GF)
2. 2011 Cats +14.0 per game (Won Flag)
3. 2008 Cats +13.7 per game (Made the GF)
4. 2022 Cats +12.8 per game (Won Flag)
5. 2010 Pies +12.5 per game (Won Flag)

2024 Lions +16.4 per game! Pretty incredible given they have lost three games and played three contenders in Carlton, Melbourne and Collingwood.

Best of luck against the Cats...
Ya just had to go get our hopes up.🤣

G'day Lions fans, I'm a bit of a stat head and just thought I'd drop this here for you all.

In the past 17 years the top 5 teams for Inside 50 differential per game have been;

1. 2012 Hawks +14.1 per game (Made the GF)
2. 2011 Cats +14.0 per game (Won Flag)
3. 2008 Cats +13.7 per game (Made the GF)
4. 2022 Cats +12.8 per game (Won Flag)
5. 2010 Pies +12.5 per game (Won Flag)

2024 Lions +16.4 per game! Pretty incredible given they have lost three games and played three contenders in Carlton, Melbourne and Collingwood.

Best of luck against the Cats...

Bit inflated from being +40 against North Melbourne.

Ya just had to go get our hopes up.🤣
It’s the hope the kills ya!

I had given the season up and made my peace.

Such a big game this week. Win and we will be genuinely confident and 3-3.

Lose and 0-3 at the gabba hard to see us recovering.

It’s all high stakes when you start 3-3!

Cats hard to read with a 5-0 start but not playing any really tough games. As i have said before they don’t put in s**t games interstate.

Hoping for a full house that is 85% lions and a team responding to it.

I guess eventually if we keep losing at the gabba we will stop selling out??

AFL 360
Whateley really hates the lions.
States it was a Garden variety sling tackle. Deserves a week and then shows incidents he’s been fined for in the past. Remonstrating the use of witnesses.

I live in Vic but I’m so sick of the vfl favouritism the media spins. It’s infuriating.

Rant finished. Now go smash his cats please 🦁’s

True, definitely agree that ‘the good bloke’ card shouldn’t be a factor. opens up a can of worms.

But guys like Whateley go hard at this instance and then when Pendlebury gets off for practically a punch off the ball we don’t hear a peep out of him. The character card is fine in that regard.

I genuinely didn’t think Cameron would get suspended based on other similar cases we’ve seen. Lever also threw his head back and made it look way worse than what it was.
The SEN talk today was mostly about Charlie getting off on the good bloke card, rather than the indecent. Wately even used the example of Pendlebury and Toby Greene having the same incident the week before the GF. Greene gets a week, Pendlebury gets off and can play in the GF. Seems a fair argument, and it will be gone by next season. I don't think anyone was going at the Lions, it was all targeted at the AFL for more inconsistencies.

I totally agree, I don't think Charlie deserved a week. My biased view is Lever went looking for ground contact to get the free.
Charlie was careless in his tackling technique. I think the AFL needs to decide if their impact assessment is the potential for injury, vs actual impact. The actual impact was zero, put potentially Lever could have been injured more severely if Charlie had driven him into the turf (rather than falling back and twisting).

AFL 360
Whateley really hates the lions.
States it was a Garden variety sling tackle. Deserves a week and then shows incidents he’s been fined for in the past. Remonstrating the use of witnesses.

I live in Vic but I’m so sick of the vfl favouritism the media spins. It’s infuriating.

Rant finished. Now go smash his cats please 🦁’s
I do get this growing sense from the VIC Media that they really want us to fall this year.

Gotta say I'm enjoying Noz's renaissaince. I hadn't factored him into best 22 calculations, but he's staking a good claim to be as versatile as Cal. He can play on small forwards, but I really like his work around the ball. He may even pinch hit as a defensive forward. It still means he's going to be in the bottom 6 chosen each week. He can still get a little dump-kick crazy when under pressure, but even that looks to be imrpoving.

This is why I love footy. 2 weeks ago we were about to fold the club, now we're officially back baby.
Mets Collar GIF by Barstool Sports

I do think the reason they let Charlie off was a bit silly but people like Gerard Whately should watch their words.

I know it’s social media so there will be racists but it’s not hard to find very racist comments under all the stories about the tribunal case.

AFL media genuinely is so sick, most of them aren’t any good at analysing the game so spend all their time on the tribunal and trade stories in April.

This is a great stat. Thanks for sharing.

Really speaks to my ongoing concerns with our ball movement, particularly our entries inside 50. One thing I would like to see us improve is where we are forced to bomb long, do so to get inside 25, rather than putting it on blokes' heads between 25 and 50 out which happened a lot on Thursday night. We need to be able to get closer to goal via uncontested possessions (hand or foot) before pulling the trigger on those long kicks.

Yes, I'm nitpicking from that game because we scrapped hard and were well set up behind the ball, but at 2-3 and average score of just 84, we are hardly getting bang for buck from our inside 50s.

If the Lions can get their forward half game anywhere near last year's numbers then imho they will be the team to beat.

In Season '23, 24.41% of their F50 entries resulted in a Goal which ranked 4th in the Comp. This year that number is down to just 19.8% which ranks 15th.

Brisbane also rank 15th for converting forward 50 entries into Shots at Goal with 42.24% (Port lead this stat with 53.11%).

Plenty of time left to iron out the kinks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot believe how strong the reaction to this has been in the AFL community.

Cannot believe the AFL said he was guilty, but let him off on the good bloke. When all they had to do was downgrade it.

Why open a can of worms?

We’ve look like we’ve clicked back into gear.

Sounds silly, but the Vegas situation becoming public knowledge might’ve actually helped the players move on from it and focus on the task at hand.

I’m more excited to see if A: Rayner gets the midfield time again early and B: can he back it up. He’s got to start on ball when he is fresh at the start of the game, not rotate through once he has spent some miles.

First time in a long time I’ve gone back to watch once specific quarter of footy.

Bring it on.

We’ve look like we’ve clicked back into gear.

Sounds silly, but the Vegas situation becoming public knowledge might’ve actually helped the players move on from it and focus on the task at hand.

I’m more excited to see if A: Rayner gets the midfield time again early and B: can he back it up. He’s got to start on ball when he is fresh at the start of the game, not rotate through once he has spent some miles.

First time in a long time I’ve gone back to watch once specific quarter of footy.

Bring it on.

They went to Vegas?

Cannot believe the AFL said he was guilty, but let him off on the good bloke. When all they had to do was downgrade it.

Why open a can of worms?
If you go to court the judge will be more lenient in sentencing if you have a clean record. It's a pretty well known principle yet the football media looking for clicks twist it into a headline grabber and call it the GOOD BLOKE TAX.

I rarely watch footy shows. Can’t stand these self-important, swaggering drongos who whip up a controversy over nothing and defend some puerile claim with overweening moral conviction, pumping up an issue as if it were on par with the genocide in Gaza.

I happened upon whately and Robinson pontificating on Charlie’s tribunal escape. It’s set up as a straight man/funny man routine but all I see is two fools with unwarrantedly large egos trying to tango in gumboots.
Is mark robinson permanently drunk? All this wild gesticulating, mugging for the camera, pleas for a rationality only he possesses. He seems always about to have a nervous breakdown or reveal some long repressed libidinal inclination or historical war crime, the camera his confessional priest, the microphone a pint of whisky.

Wrt to Charlie’s reprieve, they piled on pretty viciously , taking five minor discretions over a decade of footy, without any context, to soil his reputation, making the snide accusation that his well documented care for hurt opponents is self-serving theatre . (We’ve seen him do it countless times where there’s zero risk of being reported.)This is gutter commentary and they should apologise but I doubt they have it in them.

Why open a can of worms?

Why put a player under that much pressure?

They know the hordes are always looking for a villain, and one person's character endorsement is another person's abusive trigger.

I rarely watch footy shows. Can’t stand these self-important, swaggering drongos who whip up a controversy over nothing and defend some puerile claim with overweening moral conviction, pumping up an issue as if it were on par with the genocide in Gaza.

I happened upon whately and Robinson pontificating on Charlie’s tribunal escape. It’s set up as a straight man/funny man routine but all I see is two fools with unwarrantedly large egos trying to tango in gumboots.
Is mark robinson permanently drunk? All this wild gesticulating, mugging for the camera, pleas for a rationality only he possesses. He seems always about to have a nervous breakdown or reveal some long repressed libidinal inclination or historical war crime, the camera his confessional priest, the microphone a pint of whisky.

Wrt to Charlie’s reprieve, they piled on pretty viciously , taking five minor discretions over a decade of footy, without any context, to soil his reputation, making the snide accusation that his well documented care for hurt opponents is self-serving theatre . (We’ve seen him do it countless times where there’s zero risk of being reported.)This is gutter commentary and they should apologise but I doubt they have it in them.

Tango in gumboots 😍😍

I'm a gunna use that everywhere. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back