Autopsy Round 4, 2024 - GIANTS vs GCS, 12.30 pm AEST April 7th, Adelaide Hills

Remove this Banner Ad

Not our best performance, but we did win by 5 goals against a side who will be about the finals mark (but probably just miss).
Good sides win when a bit off, that's what we did.
We are 4 from 4, no one has got within 5 goals of us, not sure that calling for dropping is what we should be doing

Last edited:
Brent Daniels is really becoming an elite player, he was in everything today.
I've seen a few have him in there running All Australian teams, he is playing very close to AA form.at the moment.
Himmelberg had a stack of it today, but uncharacteristically butchered it , most days if he had that much he'd do some damage.
Hogan was so close, so many times, was very nearly a huge day.
It ended up comfortable in the end

The expansion cup stuff this week has been outstanding.
Loved the one when they interviewed the players about it.
Tom Green was terrific in it

The emotion of the day must of got to him, pretty poor today.
Wasn't his best game, but he was ok.
His benchmark is very high these days, and he fell short of that. But ok by most players standards

I think we did quite well today.

We were challenged by a team whose coach understands our game plan like the back of his hand. Under constant pressure, we didn't fall apart and rallied effectively in the fourth quarter when the game was there to be won. To me, this represents genuine progress.

Next week will be a little bit harder.

Scrappy win but a win. We hurt ourselves with our turnovers but it is important to note that their main focus is trying to improve scores from turnovers. So i am unsure if we were poor or they were just good at executing their intent.

It will be hard to change a team that is 4/4 but I think one forced change in TG who I assume will miss. No damage done in that tackle but that is what they are trying to stamp out.

I hope to see Jones as the player that comes in next week

Late to the party but from the game I think Witts played well and although he didnt get the clearances i think he reduced the impact of Briggs and potential hitouts to advantage but credit to Briggs I think he adjusted and focused on winning the clearances and competing with the bigger Witts. Rowell had a great game and the Suns have a good balance with the 3 main mids of Anderson, Miller with Rowell they just need that rotating 4th mid that could have been Flanders (moved to halfback) and not sure who on the list at the moment can step up for them (Davies played a few games in the mids last year and is in the VFL this week)

The balance in the forward line seems to be working well with 4 marking targets the defence needs to think about with Hogan, Greene the main targets and then depending on positioning the 3 of Brown, Riccardi and Cadman all capable or contested marks so it does stretch the defence and it might create uncertainty for defenders if they consider playing off their opponent to go intercept. Also the inside 50's are not just long bombs to a contest they are trying the short kick to a leading target or take a bit of time to move the ball outside 50 until an option appears. They will still bomb to the top of the square but not as often as previously and with good kicks delivering inside 50 it is more likely to not rebound out either due to a mark or the forwards able to score or get a stoppage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back