Preview Round 4, 2024 - GIANTS vs GCS, 12.30 pm AEST April 7th, Adelaide Hills

Remove this Banner Ad

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Well, sorry for the delay with the preview ... no Easter holidays here in Nippon.

Time of the year when the two junior teams meet (yeah, yeah, we have Tassie now as well ... maybe).

2024r04_gcs_gws.jpg

Surprisingly, no great rivalry has been built between the 2 clubs but with the SUNS starting to evolve into a finals threat the time time has perhaps finally arrived. That said, iirc, they have only beaten us once in the last 10 years and that was by a couple of points on a crappy afternoon at Mars. Let's hope the neutral ground doesn't see a similar result this week.

For many fans, the GIANTS have been pretty meh to date with a strong win over the Pies followed by 2 lacklustre victories over the whipping boys of the comp. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you, and while the wins looked a bit scrappy there was a lot to like with the ball movement. We just cannot afford to be wasteful in front of goal this week.

The SUNS, of course, started the season like a house on fire, but were found out as soon as they travelled away from fortress Metricon (or whatever it's called now).

Their midfield is stacked, but there must be some doubt over Witts and his groin, and I would suggest that he is their most valubale player. I guess Green goes head-to-head with Rowell (ginger on ginger) and Cogs takes Miller. Other than that, I think we have them covered down back, and our pressure inside forward 50 should cause their smallish backline lots of headaches.

The pre-season game was a flogging, but I'm not sure we can take much from that other than the SUNS haven't sorted their new game plan yet and tend to bomb long under pressure ... which should benefit our backs. My tip? Sammy to break the intercept mark record this week.

With Haynes back after giving birth, I see little change in the team, something like the below:

FB [36] Harry Perryman, [15] Sam Taylor, [39] Connor Idun
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [44] Jack Buckley, [7] Lachie Ash
C [10] Jacob Wehr, [22] Josh Kelly, [17] Finn Callaghan
HF [16] Brent Daniels, [26] Jake Riccardi, [14] Toby Bedford
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [46] Callum M. Brown
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [12] Tom Green

IC [5] Aaron Cadman, [27] Harry Himmelberg, [28] Harvey Thomas, [33] Xavier O'Halloran

SUB [19] Nick Haynes

I'm looking forward to a good game and if the boys bring the run and pressure from the West Coast game, we should prevail.

GIANTS by 2-3 goals

Last edited by a moderator:

Post-bye is always a worry for us - we never seem to deal with that well. But hopefully - along with away games & playing in WA - Coach Kingsley will have that little mental block sorted in season 2025. The bonus is that Gold Coast are coming off their bye too (thank you AFL), so we are in the same situation at least. No excuses for us to play poorly.

Gold Coast got beaten in the midfield against Dogs, creating a lot of ball coming into their D50, which allowed both talls and smalls to flourish against their backline. But Suns actually have a strong midfield who will take it right up to us. We want to win that midfield battle, but we don't have the same strengths as the Doggies' midfield, but as long as we break even and our defenders can take the ball back and rebound we can end up with a similar result in terms of ball going inside F50 for us. We do need to ensure more efficient scoring - towards the Pies game rather than Norths or Eagles games - or we'll drag them back into the contest.

Whether Witts plays or not is a massive question: if not, Briggsy may well get another dominant game as he did against Eagles; if not, it makes the midfield battle much more of an absolute scrap.

Defence is the big tick for us, but don't discount the Suns' tall defence: Collins and Ballard are a good combination, and if we feed them with poor kicking we could make them look like Taylor-Buckley.

We had a bit of popcorn footy to start the year: a great win at home over the stuttering premiers plus two hitouts against lowly-ranked teams to work on our connection. But the real season starts in earnest at Gather round. Hopefully we're up to the task. Let's go Giants!

Post-bye is always a worry for us - we never seem to deal with that well. But hopefully - along with away games & playing in WA - Coach Kingsley will have that little mental block sorted in season 2025. The bonus is that Gold Coast are coming off their bye too (thank you AFL), so we are in the same situation at least. No excuses for us to play poorly.

Gold Coast got beaten in the midfield against Dogs, creating a lot of ball coming into their D50, which allowed both talls and smalls to flourish against their backline. But Suns actually have a strong midfield who will take it right up to us. We want to win that midfield battle, but we don't have the same strengths as the Doggies' midfield, but as long as we break even and our defenders can take the ball back and rebound we can end up with a similar result in terms of ball going inside F50 for us. We do need to ensure more efficient scoring - towards the Pies game rather than Norths or Eagles games - or we'll drag them back into the contest.

Whether Witts plays or not is a massive question: if not, Briggsy may well get another dominant game as he did against Eagles; if not, it makes the midfield battle much more of an absolute scrap.

Defence is the big tick for us, but don't discount the Suns' tall defence: Collins and Ballard are a good combination, and if we feed them with poor kicking we could make them look like Taylor-Buckley.

We had a bit of popcorn footy to start the year: a great win at home over the stuttering premiers plus two hitouts against lowly-ranked teams to work on our connection. But the real season starts in earnest at Gather round. Hopefully we're up to the task. Let's go Giants!
You’re right on Witts …. I don’t see him recovering fully from a groin issue in two weeks and even if he plays you’d think he’ll be limited

Apparently the ground is pretty much the same dimension as the 'G and to anticipate a fairly high scoring game from games played there.

Given both teams are coming off a bye, may not see this as reflected on the scoreboard.

Still, wouldn't be surprised to see the teams come out firing. We'd want to maintain our 3-0 lead to make it 4-0 and Suns would be feeling a little bit of pressure to bounce back after their 48 point loss to the Dogs.

You always kill us comprehensively. So far you are rightly one of Premiership favourites. Great to watch.

I will be happy if Suns are competitive. Your run from defence is hard to stop. Your small forwards are great and I expect Suns defenders like Uwland and Budarick to struggle. To have any chance Suns have to at least split in the middle and bring pressure, contest for 4 quarters.

Dimma said Witts and Humphrey are 1-3 weeks injuries. It will be 2 weeks on Sun.

I actually want Moyle to play to get more experience. He ended up with basically the same numbers as English in his 3rd AFL game and first in a year. He made some mistakes early but improved as game went on.

Suns still have lapses in implementing Dimma's plan. I expect that to continue. GWS by 43.

Last edited:
Suns 1 wood is clearance. If players like Rowell and Anderson are playing well then they bat pretty deep in their midfield rotation. Add to that their strong key forwards and they can stack on points. I think their setup is much like Carlton

If we half the midfield we win the game. We are a better team all over the park imo, it will be about limiting the damage when they have momentum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MILESTONE

GIANTS coach Adam Kingsley is set to reach 200 combined AFL games as a player and coach, playing 170 games for Port Adelaide and having coached 29 games for the GIANTS to date.

Witt’s is a massive in for them

We really need this week to be a convincing win

The next month is saints, lions, blues swans so it will be important to have continuity going into that chunk of the season
I agree re Witts.
Personally, I find ‘convincing’ to be disrespectful language. Let’s focus on getting a win… Suns are a hungry and talented team.

Suns are a good squad.
Love to see Darcy Jones out there but while Thomas is doing what he's doing I don't see a spot just yet. Impressive start.
Squad probably stays the same apart from Haynes coming back in hopefully.

Midfield battle will be interesting, I think our talls up forward will give them a headache and maybe Toby can start to hit the scoreboard this weekend.

Love to see Hogan to continue to push that goal tally up. His form has been fantastic.

Interestingly, Suns have unveiled 3 debutants for our Gather Round game - Ethan Read, Will Graham & Sam Clohesy. More interestingly, the latter two debut before early draft pick Jake Rogers. Presuming Jed Walter remains in the team, that's quite a young & inexperienced team that Suns will field.

GOLD Coast will unveil three debutants for Sunday's Gather Round match against Greater Western Sydney at Mt Barker. Academy graduates Ethan Read and Will Graham will play their first match alongside midfielder Sam Clohesy, who also spent time in the Academy as a teenager before moving to Melbourne. Read, the athletically gifted 202cm key-position player, was taken at pick No.9 in last year's AFL Draft, while half-back Graham was selected at No.26. Clohesy was taken in the Rookie Draft at pick No.4 after impressing in the VFL last season. The elevations continue an early season exploration for Hardwick, coming just one match after unleashing No.3 draft pick Jed Walter against the Western Bulldogs.

Gold Coast v GWS​

Sunday - 12:30pm AEST – Adelaide Hills

Two of the emerging young teams of the competition face off in an exciting match-up which sees Damien Hardwick coach against his former Richmond assistant Adam Kingsley for the first time. Both teams enter this game fresh from a one-week break yet GWS’s undefeated start to the season sits as a scary sight for any opponent. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Giants have won 11 of the last 12 encounters with Gold Coast dating back to 2015.

Yet Gold Coast seemed to have taken a step up this year and can be confident to match GWS through the middle of the ground through the likes of Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Touk Miller and Sam Flanders helping them average 39.3 clearances per game, the third highest in the competition.

The difference in this factor lies in their capacity to convert midfield dominance into goals. With Ben King serving as their sole viable target inside the 50-meter arc, their inside 50 conversion rate ranks fifth lowest in the AFL whereas GWS leads the league in this aspect. King’s task will be made all the more difficult with Sam Taylor poised to be his direct opponent throughout the game, with the key defender averaging a massive 12 intercept possessions. Gold Coast has their own weapon in defence with Charlie Ballard most likely being assigned to Jesse Hogan and with an average of eight spoils and 3.7 intercept marks per game, should be up for the job.

GWS on the other hand feature emerging stars all around the ground in this respect, with Tom Green averaging 34 disposals and 16 contested possessions, establishing himself as one of the standout players across the competition this year. Overall, Gold Coast should match GWS in the midfield but the Giant’s quality around the ground should prove insurmountable for a youthful Suns outfit, but don’t expect this game to be separated by much.

Suns board having a bit of concern at the mass changes being made for their game against GWS. Not sure if he's expecting a "youthful exuberance" miracle to occur, or something else.

They will go with us for two quarters on enthusiasm, and talent as they are very talented kids, but the experience and physical presence of the Giants will roll over them in the second half. Briggs, Hogan etc to have a field day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back