Autopsy Round 6 2024 – Carlton vs GWS Giants, Saturday April 20, 4.35pm AEST, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Game day for our clash against Carlton.

In the end, both teams made just two changes, all enforced by injury. For Carlton, Lewis Young & Lachie Cowan replace the injured Mitch McGovern & Adam Saad respectively. For GWS, Callan Ward returns to the engine room for the injured Stephen Coniglio, while Leek Aleer gets his opportunity in place of the concussed Sam Taylor. More broadly, the Blues are missing more pieces of their team than we are, but in their favour they are bolstered by the return of Sam Walsh from injury last week, so he should be cherry ripe to play this week. A notable milestone is former-Giants (and GWS academy) player, Matt Kennedy, hitting 100 AFL games (81 Blues, 19 GWS).

Looks like a cool, cloudy day in Melbourne with a maximum of 18 & light winds, so a typical Melbourne autumn twilight game. At Marvel Stadium, where GWS does not have a great record, the Blues will certainly be a handful, but it is a great opportunity for Adam Kingsley to demonstrate what he can do with this Giants team on the road.

This is likely to be a "battle of the gameplans". Giants are #1 for scoring through the middle, and Blues are #3 for stopping teams from scoring through the middle. Blues love the stoppage game, Giants the turnover game. Both defences are weakened, though probably Blues more so with their ability to counterattack from D50. This is a perfect opportunity for Giants to make a statement in Melbourne and win at their 5th venue this season. Get the job done, boys! Let's go Giants!!

CARL v GWS.png

I am hopeful for a good performance today.
Good to have a 7 day break, Carlton will want to make amends for last week.
Players hopefully realise the added importance of these top 4 clashes, effectively an 8 point game.

Can’t wait for this game - promises to be an exciting one. The market has us as slight $2 underdogs, but given our ability to eke out wins under Kingsley this season, feeling optimistic! Also, all the 3 top Coleman medal contenders are playing!

First giants game I am attending for the year, good to see Ward back

Will Carlton slip into their strategy of just the dumb long bomb into the forward line again like they did vs crows? If they use the ball like that again the giants should be comfortable today
Its what we do....and we keep doing it even when it isn't working.

Still...I think this will be a good entertaining close match.

If we break even or close enough to on the clearances, I think we'll get them. But that will be a challenge.
I like the match up for our small forwards if we can get enough entries. They'll struggle with match ups for all of Toby. binga and Brown.
We need to get it in there for that to matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snl Its A Joke GIF by Saturday Night Live

Well, Fox have Derwayne and Mark Howard calling Pies v Port.

So that leaves Huddo and Kelli Underwood for Giants v Blues (with the W.A. Derby likely to be Papalia and Matt Hill doing the horses with Bris v Geelong being a Ch7 game).

My wish for this game, is for a break from Kelli.

Oh, and a narrow Giants win, although it's going to be tough with the backline re-arrangement.

Last edited:
Well, Fox have Derwayne and Mark Howard calling Pies v Port.

So that leaves Huddo and Kelli Underwood for Giants v Blues (with the W.A. Derby likely to be Papalia and Matt Hill doing the horses with Bris v Geelong being a Ch7 game).

My wish for this game, is for a break from Kelli.

Oh, and a narrow Giants win, although it's going to be tough with the backline re-arrangement.
That is my favourite combination.
I like both Huddo and Underwood

There's one thing for certain.

Irrespective of the result and it's basically a given.

The Giants are going to be absolutely slaughtered by the umps.

Kelly's free just made it 6-2 in Carlton's favour only half way into the first quarter.

Edit: Sorry Giant Strides, was typing when you posted about the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back