Autopsy Round 5 2024 - GWS Giants vs St Kilda, 1.45 pm Saturday 13 April @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Great crowd there, pretty good natured between rival camps, but certainly a strong splash of orange around the ground. Solid game until the last 10 minutes; think Cogs' injury on top of Sammy's just rocked us a bit. We missed a few gettable shots on goal that would have iced the game in the 3rd and 4th quarters. We seem to vary between kicking well and kicking inaccurately.

Solid game until the last 10 minutes; think Cogs' injury on top of Sammy's just rocked us a bit
I think Kelly and Briggs also spent extended time on the bench with a Rib and Shoulder compliant respectively. We looked dead on our feet in the final minutes and our structure fell apart.

On the positive note, for the vast majority of the game our structure looked amazing. The zone moving perfectly in unison and shifting quickly. Its the kind of whole team movement I've only ever seen from the very best sides before.

Did Brad Hill have force field around him? Everytime he got the ball he was allowed free passage by our mids and carved us up.
Strategic. If we let him run free, he spotted up us half the time.

Was always a danger game. Never confident through the running, even 4 goals up last quarter.

Great result but Sam Taylor Injury huge concern.

Did what we needed to do.

On to Blues best week

I think Kelly and Briggs also spent extended time on the bench with a Rib and Shoulder compliant respectively. We looked dead on our feet in the final minutes and our structure fell apart.

On the positive note, for the vast majority of the game our structure looked amazing. The zone moving perfectly in unison and shifting quickly. Its the kind of whole team movement I've only ever seen from the very best sides before.
also just going through my notes from the game, we did very well at trading up the spare player though the saints zone.

XOH does more than I give him credit for with his run and repeat attack at the ball. Even when he doesn't cleanly grab the ball, he always contests it well and more often than not gets a ball up.

Harvey Thomas has the makings of an excellent player, very very quick first step and absolutely scorching 10-20 m sprint. Excellent under pressure and sometimes almost superhuman in his reactions with hands.

Bedford put in a great shift today but was probably asked to do too much in the midfield.

Callaghan is a superb player but fades as he fatigues, hope to see him build a bigger tank.

Cadman has such exceptional ability below his hips for a tall, and is doing all the right things.

That's all for now.

Well done Giant bros!

Honestly I thought you were due for loss against a tactically astute team. Sam Taylor is a big loss next week but the team is playing well beyond expectation.

Great to get the win although without the Peatling mark it could have been a shot after the siren for them to win the game. Draw was in 2018 and they had been on a good run against us until last years elimination final
Saints do have some very talented players and Lyon will get the best out of them and with some of the younger players getting a few more games into them they should be challenging for finals next year (This year is possible with a good run with injuries and a few teams falling over) If Owens had kicked the round the corner goal it could have made a difference

I do agree the injuries must have effected the players both with the taylor injury and the concern they would have had for their team mate and similar for Coniglio and then just running out of puff in the last quarter and it could be down to game time and an unchanged lineup 2 weeks in a row and the travel factor with Adelaide and Canberra and the 6 day break

How good is Harvey Thomas for a 1st year player to be having the impact he has had and for 5 weeks they will be happy with that selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a good result really
Taylor cleared of any spinal/jaw damage just in concussion protocol now.

Cogs cleared of acl damage but likely to miss 4 weeks, going in for a scan this afternoon according to Jon Ralph on fox just now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back