Preview Round 7 2024 - GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Thursday 25 April, 7.30 pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, the Carlton game has brought us back down to earth, with a short turnaround before the ANZAC Day match against the Lions. At one point in the third quarter we hit 4 goals ahead; despite losing in the contest, our pressure, turnover and run seemed to have clicked. Then it just stopped. We got fumbly, we continued to lose the contest, but lost our running game and allowed Carlton to find theirs. We couldn't stop Curnow, McKay and even TDK. who caused a run of 6 goals in the third quarter, which extended to 8 in a row mid-fourth quarter. We got frustrated by Carlton, and did some dumb stuff, and Hogan and Greene are at risk of missing the Lions game. It's our first really short turnaround between games, so interesting how we deal with that. The only good thing is that the Lions have a similarly short turnaround, and aren't in the best of form themselves, and had to play in the rain last night so might be a bit heavy legged.

So, the biggest issue for us comes down to the ruck. Briggs has been less effective this year than at the end of last year. While he had a couple of good games round 3 and 4, he got monstered by Marshall last week, and took a bath from Pittonet and TDK last night. Our inside mids - lacking Cogs last night, but the start of the problems preceded his loss - did not handle the assignment against Cripps, Walsh and co very well at all. We have seen that in the past, and Kingers just didn't have a gameplan to prevent it happening, although as he said in the press conference, he wasn't happy with the performance of midfield. I'm unsure that we have an option to replace Briggs, which we'd probably only do if he's actually injured (rather than just banged up). Preuss probably isn't good enough to go yet, recovering from his back injury, while Madden probably isn't ready yet to be solo ruckman, though he's developing well in VFL. I think the midfield could do with some reinforcements. Harry Rowston isn't a high disposal mid, but can get a clearance so might be a worthwhile inclusion. However, there's not too many other levers Kingers can pull. I do tend to think that the boys need to focus on the footy, and that the recent social media stuff - while funny and great for fans - might have distracted them.

Elsewhere, our key defence fell apart in the third quarter. Without Taylor, that was always a possibility. While there have been some calls for Aleer to be replaced by Haynes, to be honest, I don't think that Haynes would have done a better job. And in fact, Aleer had McKay's measure with some decent spoiling (although often trailing too far behind him), and it was actually when he was taken off him in the third quarter that McKay started kicking goals. Idun had a bit of a nightmare trying to be that extra tall defender, giving away marks and goals to his opponents. However, I'm not sure we can fix that without Taylor, and there's really no-one in VFL otherwise knocking down the door (Keeffe, Haynes or Derksen).

If we lose Greene, then you would have to think that Toby McMullen gets a call up. He's played already this year, and continues to do well in VFL. 14 disposals for 4 goals and 5 clearances yesterday, so can be used in a hybrid forward/mid role to cover both Toby forward and some of our midfield woes. If we lose Hogan, then do we look at Gruzewski, who while having a quiet day yesterday, did kick 4 goals the previous week? The case against would say that he's too close in style to Riccardi and Cadman, but what are our other options? Is there a case for Madden to debut, based on replacing Hogan with a big-bodied player - less concerned about him kicking goals (although did you see his booming goal from outside 50m against Werribee?) than being able to bust packs and bring the ball to ground. If we did that (through necessity), then we could provide some assistance to Briggs without replacing him outright. Not sure about the idea, myself - what do others think?

Elsewhere, down back I would not be making changes, so Leek stays IMHO. May as well give him another chance to play and develop. Up front, Harvey Thomas was a bit quiet - does he make way for say Rowston to provide more grunt in midfield, or should it be O'Halloran, who was quiet against the Blues? Does Peatling get a run, given his cameo performances as sub? Arguably, though, he's a more balanced player to be a sub than say a pure mid (e.g. Rowston), but we need more grunt in the middle IMHO, so a pure mid should come in rather than Peatling.

More broadly, Lions are 2-4 and not looking like their 2023 version. However, while they've lost all 3 games at formerly-fortress Gabba, they have actually won on the road, so they'll take some comfort from that record. Their tall forwards, Daniher & Hipwood, are not the twin towers that Curnow & McKay are, so hopefully we can curtail them better, while their small forwards tend to be the ones that trouble us, so our small defenders need to be on their toes.

I really struggle to get a clear picture of this game. With both teams coming off a loss and wishing to atone, it's really going to come down to which side can put aside the disappointment of round 6 and fix their specific issues best.

What are your thoughts on this game?

The club’s fan day on 24th for those who can make it

Last edited:

Well, the Carlton game has brought us back down to earth, with a short turnaround before the ANZAC Day match against the Lions. At one point in the third quarter we hit 4 goals ahead; despite losing in the contest, our pressure, turnover and run seemed to have clicked. Then it just stopped. We got fumbly, we continued to lose the contest, but lost our running game and allowed Carlton to find theirs. We couldn't stop Curnow, McKay and even TDK. who caused a run of 6 goals in the third quarter, which extended to 8 in a row mid-fourth quarter. We got frustrated by Carlton, and did some dumb stuff, and Hogan and Greene are at risk of missing the Lions game. It's our first really short turnaround between games, so interesting how we deal with that. The only good thing is that the Lions have a similarly short turnaround, and aren't in the best of form themselves, and had to play in the rain last night so might be a bit heavy legged.

So, the biggest issue for us comes down to the ruck. Briggs has been less effective this year than at the end of last year. While he had a couple of good games round 3 and 4, he got monstered by Marshall last week, and took a bath from Pittonet and TDK last night. Our inside mids - lacking Cogs last night, but the start of the problems preceded his loss - did not handle the assignment against Cripps, Walsh and co very well at all. We have seen that in the past, and Kingers just didn't have a gameplan to prevent it happening, although as he said in the press conference, he wasn't happy with the performance of midfield. I'm unsure that we have an option to replace Briggs, which we'd probably only do if he's actually injured (rather than just banged up). Preuss probably isn't good enough to go yet, recovering from his back injury, while Madden probably isn't ready yet to be solo ruckman, though he's developing well in VFL. I think the midfield could do with some reinforcements. Harry Rowston isn't a high disposal mid, but can get a clearance so might be a worthwhile inclusion. However, there's not too many other levers Kingers can pull. I do tend to think that the boys need to focus on the footy, and that the recent social media stuff - while funny and great for fans - might have distracted them.

Elsewhere, our key defence fell apart in the third quarter. Without Taylor, that was always a possibility. While there have been some calls for Aleer to be replaced by Haynes, to be honest, I don't think that Haynes would have done a better job. And in fact, Aleer had McKay's measure with some decent spoiling (although often trailing too far behind him), and it was actually when he was taken off him in the third quarter that McKay started kicking goals. Idun had a bit of a nightmare trying to be that extra tall defender, giving away marks and goals to his opponents. However, I'm not sure we can fix that without Taylor, and there's really no-one in VFL otherwise knocking down the door (Keeffe, Haynes or Derksen).

If we lose Greene, then you would have to think that Toby McMullen gets a call up. He's played already this year, and continues to do well in VFL. 14 disposals for 4 goals and 5 clearances yesterday, so can be used in a hybrid forward/mid role to cover both Toby forward and some of our midfield woes. If we lose Hogan, then do we look at Gruzewski, who while having a quiet day yesterday, did kick 4 goals the previous week? The case against would say that he's too close in style to Riccardi and Cadman, but what are our other options? Is there a case for Madden to debut, based on replacing Hogan with a big-bodied player - less concerned about him kicking goals (although did you see his booming goal from outside 50m against Werribee?) than being able to bust packs and bring the ball to ground. If we did that (through necessity), then we could provide some assistance to Briggs without replacing him outright. Not sure about the idea, myself - what do others think?

Elsewhere, down back I would not be making changes, so Leek stays IMHO. May as well give him another chance to play and develop. Up front, Harvey Thomas was a bit quiet - does he make way for say Rowston to provide more grunt in midfield, or should it be O'Halloran, who was quiet against the Blues? Does Peatling get a run, given his cameo performances as sub? Arguably, though, he's a more balanced player to be a sub than say a pure mid (e.g. Rowston), but we need more grunt in the middle IMHO, so a pure mid should come in rather than Peatling.

More broadly, Lions are 2-4 and not looking like their 2023 version. However, while they've lost all 3 games at formerly-fortress Gabba, they have actually won on the road, so they'll take some comfort from that record. Their tall forwards, Daniher & Hipwood, are not the twin towers that Curnow & McKay are, so hopefully we can curtail them better, while their small forwards tend to be the ones that trouble us, so our small defenders need to be on their toes.

I really struggle to get a clear picture of this game. With both teams coming off a loss and wishing to atone, it's really going to come down to which side can put aside the disappointment of round 6 and fix their specific issues best.

Great write up.
I’d like to see Gruzewski get a chance soon. Jones also.

Giant Strides are you seriously suggesting the boys were distracted by our social media and not focused on the footy?
It only takes a teensy-weensy bit of distraction to not be 100% for a game. Are you 100% certain that there's no chance the social media stuff could have been any degree of distraction?

I used the word "might" - I do think it's a valid question/discussion topic.

My concern regarding social media relates to game day.

No dramas if players are passively involved in social media posts i.e. photos taken of them during warmup.

But when they pose for photos like Green and Leek did pre-game wearing training gear, it shows their minds are not focussed totally on the game.

With all due respect, the Giants Media team needs to be told to stay away from the players pre-game and take their photos from a distance.

No dramas if players are passively involved in social media posts i.e. photos taken of them during warmup.

But when they pose for photos like Green and Leek did pre-game wearing training gear, it shows their minds are not focussed totally on the game.

With all due respect, the Giants Media team needs to be told to stay away from the players pre-game and take their photos from a distance.
That I can agree with. The mid week stuff shouldn't be too much of a distraction.

One of those weeks where I'm waiting for the judiciary and injury list to be published before making team selections.

Initially, it was Haynes in the backline, Perryman to centre, Callaghan out, but with the judiciary now involved, a pause is required.

One of those weeks where I'm waiting for the judiciary and injury list to be published before making team selections.

Initially, it was Haynes in the backline, Perryman to centre, Callaghan out, but with the judiciary now involved, a pause is required.
Would be very surprised to see Callaghan dropped before any of Wehr, O’Halloran or Ward. I’m hoping to see him tearing games apart and think it will come, but for now he’s certainly earning his spot.
Perryman in the middle with Green has been exploited for lack of leg speed in the past. Daniels, Bedford and Ash having a few more rotations might speed the group up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hoping to see him tearing games apart and think it will come
We've been waiting a long time for Callaghan to do just that consistently this year.

His turnovers cost us plenty v Carlton so time for a run in the twos to get some confidence and accuracy back.

I can see your point re: Perryman with lack of speed, but as you mentioned, some rotations with especially Bedford and Daniels might do the trick.

Agree regarding Briggs. Looks like he is not a genuine ruckman - was as an underage, but not big enough for the big league. Only stands at 201cm too which imo is not big enough to win contests around the ground. Not strong enough either. But great at some things - very athletic. Could be used as a part time ruck and move forward. MacKay is 200cm - could Briggs be used as a forward. Would pose a real problem for opposition teams - he and Hogan (195cm) could be the MacKay/Curnow (194cm) combo. Cadman still has a few years and by then Hogan will be in his 30s. Pruess is a beast. I thought he was almost the leagues best ruckman when he went down in 2022 (less Gawn perhaps). I still think he should get back to the #1 ruck spot. Not sure how fit he is, but if he can hold his temper, not get reported, I say that he should get back into the side. He is only 28 which is almost prime ruck age. Would be a real shame if he floated into oblivion. Madden is 19 and although a player of the future, will not be strong enough yet. I think Madden will get taken by another club, or Pruess. There is no need for all three of them unless they turn one of them (likely Briggs) into a genuine forward option. Pruess has 4-5 years remaining and Briggs and Madden are young - so something has to give.

Do you think Pruess will get back into the side? I started to watch the VFL replay but the camera work was average so I gave up. I wanted to see how Pruess and Madden went. The reports said Madden was playing forward a bit but he still had lots of hit outs.

On another note, is there any hope of Cumming getting a run once fit? Or will he be at another team next year.

Agree regarding Briggs. Looks like he is not a genuine ruckman - was as an underage, but not big enough for the big league. Only stands at 201cm too which imo is not big enough to win contests around the ground. Not strong enough either. But great at some things - very athletic.

Do you think Pruess will get back into the side? I started to watch the VFL replay but the camera work was average so I gave up. I wanted to see how Pruess and Madden went. The reports said Madden was playing forward a bit but he still had lots of hit outs.

On another note, is there any hope of Cumming getting a run once fit? Or will he be at another team next year.
I don't agree with your views on Briggs, but he's definitely hit a plateau in his development this year. Preuss as a ruck has some positives but also some negatives. However, after his extended back issues last year continuing into this year, we are doubtful that he's ready to be selected, but it's a real conundrum with Briggs' form at this point in time.

I'd hope that Cumming gets a run once he's fit. I guess it will depend on how the team's going, injuries etc, but if a HBF spot isn't available I would hope we'd give him a run on a wing at least.

Have no issues with the social media stuff, handled by different departments and during the week is a bit of fun, doesn’t effect the game prep.

But, it appears we have maybe bought into the title favourites by media, which means jack at the end of the day.

Hopefully they will be fired up and ready for the Lions.

This will make the game harder to win, even at Manuka Oval where it could be a cold night.

I also hope it doesn't affect the crowd number too.
Don't worry me and my crew are all still going. We are lions fans does that matter? :)

Interesting game. Giants still seem the clear flag faves for me. Taylor was a massive out v Blues. You did seem lacklustre in the midfield.

I suspect Hogan will get the one game ban. Not in it but afl hates the combo of head high with off the ball.

I suspect Greene will get off but it's line ball. Question will be did he at some point decide not to contest the ball?

Anyway who bloody knows.

Assuming giants without Taylor, Hogan, Coniglio.

Lions still without Coleman, Ashcroft, Doedee, Bailey.

Your outs are tricky to manage because they are structural. Neale is pretty proppy too for us.

But i just think you have had a great start to the year aside from the Carlton game. Playing for your coach, great game plan, play attacking footy, and will be a lot more confident than us. Really we have played one genuinely good game all year.

Greene out would give the lions a bit of a look in as the one thing the giants do allow sides to do is score, so if you are missing your two best goal kickers that makes it hard.

As long as one gets off, and especially two, i think right now you are are a better drilled side that should get the job done in the freezing cold.

One interesting factor, can't remember who but i recall an afl player saying that really wet games were actually easier to recover from because they run a lot less. Guess we'll see

Would not be unhappy at all if you won the flag btw. such entertaining footy. more credit should go to that. imagine if every team was coached by ross lyon???

I think you are applying your own approach to game day to all players

There is nothing wrong with posing for a photo. Imagine if on GF day teams used the team photo before bounce as an excuse for a loss

Great analysis OP.

I posted last week that a template to beat Carlton was the Adelaide's victory - Rankine played lots of minutes in the mid, others switched positions and created mismatch in Carlton HB area. Genuinely thought Kingsley will put Greene in the mid for spells to add speed and xfactor but was surprised that he didn't.

I kinda get his reasoning, you want to see how your structures measure up to quality opposition. Pittone? had a great game at ruck and their mids just dominated. Coaches used to make many adjustments in the past but modern AFL is all about existing structures.

Aleer impressed me. He 'won' against McKay despite the second half goals. Carlton won the niggly, Vossy inspired mind games because both Hogan and Green were getting visibly annoyed in the 3rd qtr when the Giants were leading. Kingsley needs to use it to motivate the boys for the next encounter.

Has Bedford stepped up when Greene would play in the mid? I see him as most suitable replacement in those scenario?

Brad Scott comes to Toby’s defence. I hope his practical common sense view prevails at the Tribunal tomorrow.

Scott agreed with his counterpart’s comments that Greene was innocent and suggested Wright should not have faced suspension.

“We do seek clarification, very rarely, but sometimes on how we should instruct the players – I couldn’t help but notice Adam Kingsley’s comment (after the Greene incident),” Scott said.

“(Kingsley said) you’re allowed to look at the ball, launch and try to mark the ball, and (Wright) is just nodding his head saying, ‘Yes, I agree with that’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back