Autopsy Round 7 2024 - GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Thursday 25 April, 7.30 pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll have a stab:

Taylor > Aleer
Greene > Peatling (back to sub)
Daniels > Wehr
Coniglio > Ward or O’Halloran

Some blokes will be unlucky this week for sure.
Peatling and XOH would be stiff if that transpired. Both very good games tonight. Agree you have to make room for Toby and Cogs though.
Leek will miss but at least the last two weeks have prooved he can play seniors.

My only slight concern out of that game was Cadman. Was up against one of the best and most experienced key defenders in Harris Andrews who I thought beat him soundly.

Needs another couple of pre-seasons.

Peatling and XOH would be stiff if that transpired. Both very good games tonight. Agree you have to make room for Toby and Cogs though.
Leek will miss but at least the last two weeks have prooved he can play seniors.
Are we sure that Cogs is even coming back next week? Last injury report has him at 1-2 weeks.

Cumming is another one to think about, returning through the VFL this weekend. Going to be a lot of competition for spots.

Good to see the players whom we've put a spotlight on for recent poor performances turned it around tonight with excellent games. Green and Briggs really bounced back well. Callum Brown did a great job up front, especially with those couple of long range bombs. Our early (by and large) accuracy compared to Brisbane certainly helped. Callaghan carved up Brisbane with his running (but yes his kicking needs work). The mids sat on Lachie Neale, who had a dirty night.

While not previously under the pump, it was noteworthy that Peatling had a very good game.

And Darcy Jones' outstanding debut. Plus Harvey Thomas continues to thrive.

A few with quieter games, but that's par for the course - rarely everyone fires.

My only slight concern out of that game was Cadman. Was up against one of the best and most experienced key defenders in Harris Andrews who I thought beat him soundly.

Harris is insanely good. Has been the best lions player by a mile in every game this year.

No shame in being beaten by him, ever.

A few with quieter games, but that's par for the course - rarely everyone fires.
It was one of those games where the team played so well especially in the second half, that the poor moments from some players stood out.

Overall Whitfield had 31 disposals at 81% efficiency, a really good game, but his holding the ball, missing a team mate with the handpass going over the sideline and a few errant disposals just seemed to stand out.

Similar with Callaghan - overall a great game but some of those kicks in the first half.....

But you are absolutely correct - rarely everyone fires - even within a game players can have their moments.

Got a message from the league family:

"Woo hoo! The kids and (leagues dad) were watching. The kids were singing the song 😁

And kid was showing me the (Giants) players. No idea how he remembers

Kids actually asked when you (Giant YoYo) inviting us to next game. I told her you did and she was a bit disappointed when I told her I don’t know if we going yet. 🤣
"

Safe to say, kids are leading the way and are converting the league family. Aussie Rules (Giant YoYo) uncle couldn't be happier. :D

Keep at it, Giants, the product is excellent and the kids think so too. :D

I’ll have a stab:

Taylor > Aleer
Greene > Peatling (back to sub)
Daniels > Wehr
Coniglio > Ward or O’Halloran

Some blokes will be unlucky this week for sure.
If Ward’s managed for 1 week he will play his 300th at home for a Saturday twilight match against the Bulldogs 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward looked old last night.
He is old, but he put in a good shift against Neale when Green was resting. Still provides value for the team.

Peatling looks like the heir apparent to Ward. Played really well in the middle, his game is a lot harder than last time I saw him play. Some Wardesque moments in the contest.

After last night, I would agree that Peatling looks like he could be that Ward successor. Probably doesn't have the same top level as Wardy, but can be that solid midfield extractor and tackler.

If there's a squeeze on for positions, using the old "managed" pushes the decision a week down the road, and sets up that 300th nicely. We could pull out the "Old Dogs' Home" banner. ;)

Assuming cogs and Taylor are right to go and given Daniels was unused it seems like we got through unscathed.

we need to find a spot for 1 defender, 2 forwards and a mid (or maybe 2 mids and a forward?)

Taylor for Aleer (has shown some good signs)
Toby for XO
Cogs for peatling (sub) - or is wardy in trouble
Daniels for Jones/thomas/wehr/bedford/Cadman how do you choose. Wehr and Cadman are not like for like and have been solid this year playing a role. Bedford and Thomas don’t deserve to miss out and Jones is last in but I really think we need to get games into him cause he is very impressive

Whoever misses out is super unlucky but we have some serious depth running around in the VFL.

Could have Haynes, cumming, Aleer, XO, Wardy, jones all running around in the VFL ready to roll if we get an injury

I think only one more to be hopefully above average as a key forward. I think it is a dilemma, he is too good to be playing vfl but that's what happens when a high draft pick is at a top 4 club.

Is he a better player than Amartey right now?
Just an interesting comparison ( I know he is a swans player).

I think one approach is to have 4 players who rotate between 3 spits, almost regardless of form.

Last edited:
Assuming cogs and Taylor are right to go and given Daniels was unused it seems like we got through unscathed.

we need to find a spot for 1 defender, 2 forwards and a mid (or maybe 2 mids and a forward?)

Taylor for Aleer (has shown some good signs)
Toby for XO
Cogs for peatling (sub) - or is wardy in trouble
Daniels for Jones/thomas/wehr/bedford/Cadman how do you choose. Wehr and Cadman are not like for like and have been solid this year playing a role. Bedford and Thomas don’t deserve to miss out and Jones is last in but I really think we need to get games into him cause he is very impressive

Whoever misses out is super unlucky but we have some serious depth running around in the VFL.

Could have Haynes, cumming, Aleer, XO, Wardy, jones all running around in the VFL ready to roll if we get an injury
I would have wehr unluckily pushed out

I would keep x and drop ward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back