Preview Round 7 2024 - GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Thursday 25 April, 7.30 pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tribunal makes no sense. I don't think it is unreasonable for Hogan to have gotten a week for what he did.

But Toby shouldn't have even had a case to answer. Complete joke that he is out for a week.

On a different note, both our VFL and AFL teams have let in a lot of points despite having winning records. This would suggest it’s more a structural/tactical deficiency across the club rather than an effort one. I hope the coaches own it.

Tribunal turned out exactly the opposite of what I thought would happen.

Spewing to not have Toby, but hogan is almost as important this year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is actually what I expected to happen. With the matrix they use to decide suspensions it needs to be at least low impact. For Hogan's it was easy to make the case that the force was negligible and the potential for injury was zero.

Honestly I think this a good result for us. Structurally, we really didn't have a good replacement for Hogan. If you ask me he would've been a much worse out than Toby.

Also Toby has seemed a bit out of form lately. The week off might actually do him some good (this is me coping). And in his case we at least have good replacements ready to come in, one of Peatling, Jones or McMullin can take his place for the week.

This is actually what I expected to happen. With the matrix they use to decide suspensions it needs to be at least low impact. For Hogan's it was easy to make the case that the force was negligible and the potential for injury was zero.

Honestly I think this a good result for us. Structurally, we really didn't have a good replacement for Hogan. If you ask me he would've been a much worse out than Toby.

Also Toby has seemed a bit out of form lately. The week off might actually do him some good (this is me coping). And in his case we at least have good replacements ready to come in, one of Peatling, Jones or McMullin can take his place for the week.
Agreed. Muff is the most like for like

Look on the bright side. Toby will be fresh for the derby.

Structurally, we really didn't have a good replacement for Hogan. If you ask me he would've been a much worse out than Toby.

And in his case we at least have good replacements ready to come in, one of Peatling, Jones or McMullin can take his place for the week.
I agree with these points. From a team structural perspective, Hogan is harder to replace. We do have options for Greene.

For broader "mojo", it's not so easy to replace Tobes.

Whilst it would have been good to have both Toby and Jesse both available to play against the Lions, if forced to pick between them, Jesse is more valuable at the moment. Jesse currently has scored 21 goals and is leading the Coleman Medal. He is also on track to become just the 3rd giant (after Jeremy Cameron and Toby) to score more than 50 goals for us in a home and away season.

Hopefully, this 1 week suspension will motivate Toby to perform at his 2023 All Australian best when he comes back - I (almost) pity the Swans when they face him!

The AFL has to make it a rule:

If you leave the ground and brace, any contact to the head starts at 1 week suspension.

Doesn't matter whether you were going for a mark. Doesn't matter if it was self preservation.

Too much grey at the moment - like many rules in the AFL.

Toby out = narrow win for Brisbane.

Unfortunately.

I disagree. It has to be judged on each case. In this example and any other with players running back with the flight, the AFL are saying you can't make a contest unless you risk knocking yourself out. It's no longer a tribunal anyway when the league CEO's are so heavily involved in the outcomes.

It has to be judged on each case.
I can see your point.

There's so much grey in the rules and how they're currently being applied that there's inconsistencies and no one really knows what the Tribunal is going to do and therefore what is expected of players.

Hogan got off on what appears a technicality as there were contradicting definitions. Again, the AFL's fault,

That's what frustrates me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found a sports bar in Hawaii that will play the game!
Excited Season 5 GIF by The Office

Darcy Jones only change with Brent Daniels cleared to play.

Josh Kelly captain for the match.

FB: Harry Perryman, Harry Himmelberg, Connor Idun
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash
C: Jacob Wehr, Josh Kelly, Finn Callaghan
HF: Brent Daniels, Aaron Cadman, Toby Bedford
FF: Jake Riccardi, Jesse Hogan, Callum Brown
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Tom Green

Interchange: Xavier O’Halloran, Harvey Thomas, Leek Aleer, Darcy Jones, James Peatling

In: Darcy Jones (debutant)
Out: Toby Greene (suspension)

Emergencies: Toby McMullin, Ryan Angwin, Max Gruzewski

Bit surprised at the lack of changes with a short turn around. I guess we already pencil in 3 ins for next week so those that had poor games against Carlton really need to lift this week.
I wonder if Peatling has done enough to get a full game. He'll be fresher, having only played one quarter last week. Possibly XOH could be the sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back