Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

While i reckon we're capable of beating most sides on our day, the Swans are in a league of their own. Being at the ground it was clear just how good they were. I don't remember seeing such a skilled, well-structured side and reckon they're flag favourites. They have a potent forward line too.

I've seen us been thrashed in many a game over the years, but we were VFL standard yesterday. We embarrassed ourselves with basic skill errors all day. While a lot of that was to do with the immense pressure they put us under, the amount of fumbling at crucial stages shows we just don't have the skills to execute the game plan, so not sure what the answer to that is. While Cam Mackenzie didn't have his best performance, he was in absolutely everything so that was encouraging to see and reckon he'll learn a lot from that game. Don't know what's happened to Jai Newcombe this year but we desperately need him to lift.
What was really noticeable to me, is they hung off our mids just enough to lure into a handball. As soon as it came, shut down the gap enough to pressure, then the next handball would be looser until eventually one would spill. They didn't have to work overly hard to apply the pressure, they just got us to handball ourselves into a bad place. We have to find a better way to clear the ball from stoppages, because it's rinse and repeat this season.

Still haven't seen the Chol incident yet but it was def a free kick? Fancy Hardwick nailing that ripper of a goal outside 50m only for that to happen. It was the exact moment the game was taken away from us.
But that’s exactly when the leadership group needs to step in and show the way. Did it happen?

People suggesting Sicily have the captaincy removed mid-season is ridiculous.
I don't think anyone is actually calling for Sicily to be stripped of his capatancy mid-season. Any call on this should of course happen on the off season.

And any question marks over his captaincy aren't a new thing there's been plenty on here (myself included) who have been questioning for a while now if he is the right choice going forward. This season with his poor form and perceived lack of interest and onfield leadership are only serving to make the calls louder.

Has anyone worked out what the go is with Weddle yet?

Being wasted big time hidden away down back. The guy is going to be a gun and needs to be played further up the ground.

If it’s to support the backline, put more faith in Serong or bring in Philips and let Weddle play to his strengths as an attacking player.

A victim (right now) of his versatility perhaps.

Sadly Gunston (and bruest) should never play again except maybe for a farewell game.

Sicily is a big problem, I hope he improves if we actually start playing a second KPD so he can get back do what he does best as a third/loose tall. Better happen next week as Naughton, Darcy, Lobb will tear us up.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lobb always tears us one.

Last edited:

Being wasted big time hidden away down back. The guy is going to be a gun and needs to be played further up the ground.

If it’s to support the backline, put more faith in Serong or bring in Philips and let Weddle play to his strengths as an attacking player.
I imagine they are working on his defensive side. As it was poor last year (especially deep inside 50 where his intensity could lack) but has been less noticeable in recent weeks. He’s also spending time on some elite players (eg Cameron) to likely learn about running patterns and getting to dangerous spots. I also think teams are putting a bit more time into stopping weddle’s runs.

However is not clear where they see him long term - a utility is a role you grow into over time.

Sydney's A grade talent stood out at the ground. It was glaring.

Heeney, Gulden, Blakey, Warner (mostly academy kids, sigh)

When they got the ball they hurt you. Thats what top players do. They turn nothing into something.

How many of our players can you say that about at the moment?

What was really noticeable to me, is they hung off our mids just enough to lure into a handball. As soon as it came, shut down the gap enough to pressure, then the next handball would be looser until eventually one would spill. They didn't have to work overly hard to apply the pressure, they just got us to handball ourselves into a bad place. We have to find a better way to clear the ball from stoppages, because it's rinse and repeat this season.
Spot on. Which is why contested possessions and clearances stats looked okay as they sat off and were happy to pick off the errant hand pass or poor entry inside 50.

The fumbling is an issue. Often just a basic sign of lack of class.

We’re a bit stuck at present as we lack genuine speed around the ball so over hand pass to try to find space (but lack the elite skills to make it work - swans were cleaner but quicker as well) but also lack marking/ contested targets up forward so have to hold onto ball as a dump kick is getting turned over.

Sydney's A grade talent stood out at the ground. It was glaring.

Heeney, Gulden, Blakey, Warner (mostly academy kids, sigh)

When they got the ball they hurt you. Thats what top players do. They turn nothing into something.

How many of our players can you say that about at the moment?
Yep. 3/5 of their best were players they had exclusive rights to.

I saw him briefly at full forward in the 3rd quarter but we just couldn't get the ball to him and then he was down back again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma won’t leave…

Chol copping a lot and he was poor today - (that free kick in the 1st was unforgivable) but he really was setup to fail with our lack of tall forward support.. no wonder he got frustrated…
Sydney defenders just peeled off their player and cut his space and intercepted every time- we really needed to play Ramsden from the start at least he could provide another tall target for us to force Swans defenders to be accountable in the air…
This! I just don’t understand the game plan and player set up. Ramsden should have started on the ground. Where is Each players best spot, Amon wing, Weddle half back flank ……..?
It’s a head scratch week to week. As for the sub …….:oops:

It is really this simple.

1. We all hunt the pill too much

2. So yep - we win contested footy and ground ball (yay)

3. Then our next options are too close to us

4. which invites the pressure; so

5. eventually we turn it over by hand or foot; and

6. We are caught out of position and unable to defend properly
So is it ?
A. The game plan is to complex?
B.The game plan is to hard to execute because we thought we were better than we are at the season start?
C. Our players can’t execute due to lack of skill and experience?
D. Team discipline is a shambles?
E. Lack of leadership?
F. All of the above!

One positive outside of Moore, Meek and Scrimshaw continuing their good form is that Mackenzie had another good game and he continues to develop well.

He's had 6 shots on goals in 7 games, which is good for a midfielder.

And I think the fact he's tired in the second half of every game, and is only playing around 70% game time, bodes well for the future once he's really fit.

Last edited:
On positive outside of Moore, Meek and Scrimshaw continuing their good form is that Mackenzie had another good game and he continues to develop well.

And I think the fact he's tired in the second half of every game, and is only playing around 70% game time, bodes well for the future once he's really fit.

Play him for a half or so then bring sub Wingard for example on?

One positive outside of Moore, Meek and Scrimshaw continuing their good form is that Mackenzie had another good game and he continues to develop well.

Once we have players who actually lead to the ball and move to receive he will look so much better.

Could see him getting real frustrated with the lack of movement when he had the ball at half back. No body was presenting for an option.

So is it ?
A. The game plan is to complex?
B.The game plan is to hard to execute because we thought we were better than we are at the season start?
C. Our players can’t execute due to lack of skill and experience?
D. Team discipline is a shambles?
E. Lack of leadership?
F. All of the above!
Is the game plan that much different to last years that it has all of a sudden become to complex? If we look back last season at the win over the pies for what is probably the best example of things working pretty much perfectly (3rd quarter specifically) the spread both offensively and defensively was fantastic, and the skills were fine and players were disciplined in maintaining systems/structure ( pies were often trapped between the arcs)
Then of course there were examples last year where the side dishes up bad performances similar to what’s been on show this year. Where it appeared they were totally disinterested, lacked discipline and the skills were sub standard and they could not control the momentum at all.
I do believe that on field leadership is a major issue though. The team really needs either that workmanlike head over the ball type captain (Dylan Moore?) Or the Mr fix it everywhere, grab it by the scruff of the neck and drag the team with them type captain ( Will Day? If he can stay on the park) I do think Sis is a leader, just not the one for the current set up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back