Preview Round 7, 2024 : Hawks v Swans, 4pm Sunday 28th April, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still dead to me once he screwed us over to take the cash with Sydney. He couldn’t give a stuff about the brown and gold, it’s all about the “brand” when it comes to him and his Mrs

Can't blame him for leaving for generational money. He was bothered by morons literally everywhere he went whilst living in Melbourne, that was detrimental to his mental health. He was the most recognisable player in the league.

It was also a plus (for him) to go to another contender.

Still dead to me once he screwed us over to take the cash with Sydney. He couldn’t give a stuff about the brown and gold, it’s all about the “brand” when it comes to him and his Mrs
Just don’t get this response now that it’s all over. He delivered more in his time at hawthorn than most players ever did in their entire career. 08 flag simply doesn’t happen without him. Then we go on to win 2 flags after he leaves, proving he didn’t leave us in a bad state.

I get the angst at the time, but there’s so much to love about his time at the hawks, it seems such a shame to not be able to appreciate that.

Initially, I harbored bitterness, but I've since moved past it. Reflecting on the joy Buddy brought us fans, it's easy to let go of those negative feelings. Being an international student who began following the game and supporting Hawthorn in 2000, I missed out on watching the Dunstalls or Beretons. Therefore, players like the Crawfords, Hodges, Buddys, and Riolis are the ones who truly captured my heart and made me love this club.

Can't blame him for leaving for generational money. He was bothered by morons literally everywhere he went whilst living in Melbourne, that was detrimental to his mental health. He was the most recognisable player in the league.

Still could have done the right thing by the club, so we could have been compensated fairly.

I thought he was pushed by Clarko, similar to Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge etc.

Jesinta was probably a relevant factor too - and rightly so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turned against him when it all went down but (being two faced) I still sneakily enjoyed seeing him play... however I didn't want him to win a flag "elsewhere".

I thought he was pushed by Clarko, similar to Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge etc.
"Pushed" by pulling too hard to get him to stay.

"The most notorious Clarkson American journey came at the end of 2012, after the Hawks lost the grand final, and he flew to Las Vegas for the explicit purpose of quizzing Lance “Buddy” Franklin on whether Buddy intended to leave the nest at the end of his free-agency season.

Franklin, relaxing with teammate Josh Gibson, was none too pleased to see Clarkson turn up while on a private Vegas siesta; unlike the donated dog, the gesture was not appreciated. Buddy duly fled to Sydney on the game’s most monstrous contract (nine years, $10 million)."

Just don’t get this response now that it’s all over. He delivered more in his time at hawthorn than most players ever did in their entire career. 08 flag simply doesn’t happen without him. Then we go on to win 2 flags after he leaves, proving he didn’t leave us in a bad state.

I get the angst at the time, but there’s so much to love about his time at the hawks, it seems such a shame to not be able to appreciate that.

The confetti hadn’t dropped for the 2012 GF and he was off talking to the team that done us over.

I wonder if you would have had the same endearment if the 2014 GF went the other way?

Don't necessarily agree he doesn't give a stuff about us. More so Jesinta doesn't. Probably couldn't wait to get away from Waverley today. She's the main reason he moved and good luck to both of them. Would have been nice just for Bud to be their with the kids TBH. The history is with him not Jesinta but anyway.

Don't necessarily agree he doesn't give a stuff about us. More so Jesinta doesn't. Probably couldn't wait to get away from Waverley today. She's the main reason he moved and good luck to both of them. Would have been nice just for Bud to be their with the kids TBH. The history is with him not Jesinta but anyway.
I take it as a good sign Jacinta was there

"Pushed" by pulling too hard to get him to stay.

"The most notorious Clarkson American journey came at the end of 2012, after the Hawks lost the grand final, and he flew to Las Vegas for the explicit purpose of quizzing Lance “Buddy” Franklin on whether Buddy intended to leave the nest at the end of his free-agency season.

Franklin, relaxing with teammate Josh Gibson, was none too pleased to see Clarkson turn up while on a private Vegas siesta; unlike the donated dog, the gesture was not appreciated. Buddy duly fled to Sydney on the game’s most monstrous contract (nine years, $10 million)."

One thing that stands out for me now that I can look back at things fairly objectively is that Clarko really is a bit of a weird cat.

The confetti hadn’t dropped for the 2012 GF and he was off talking to the team that done us over.

I wonder if you would have had the same endearment if the 2014 GF went the other way?
I get why it bothered some supporters but it honestly never bothered me that much, partly because I knew people that knew him well and he was really struggling in Melbourne. Im also pretty certain he knew he wanted to go to Sydney before they beat us in that gf.

Regardless I just think it’s time to let go and enjoy for what it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back