Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

"Cooked" is such a campaigner of a disrespectful word. A real keyboard warrior term...

He had 6 shots on goal in an AFL game, against an AFL defense.

Yes, he's past 30...as we know, anyone over 30 who has more than 2 poor games in a row has the internet yelling 'cooked'.

It's just poor.
Yeah, I hate the expression. Disrespectful and lazy.

I chose to express my thoughts in a light hearted way but agree with you completely.

Last edited:
I know I shouldn’t let this get to me, and we’ll cop it all year, but something that really chaps my ass is the narrative when a team down the ladder wins, it’s never they played well, it’s all about how the losing team has coaching issues/injuries/heavy training load/ loss they needed to have etc. For once, can they just discuss that we played well, beat them at the furnace, arguably could’ve won by more.

The wheels falling off the Doggies is a bigger story for the talking heads.

We deserve credit for playing well, but only the analytical media members would bring it up.

"Cooked" is such a campaigner of a disrespectful word. A real keyboard warrior term...

He had 6 shots on goal in an AFL game, against an AFL defense.

Yes, he's past 30...as we know, anyone over 30 who has more than 2 poor games in a row has the internet yelling 'cooked'.

It's just poor.
Fair comment, but is "campaigner" is any better.

It's actually quite amazing how we can go from a team that looks completely lost and confused v Sydney, to a side that looks mature and knows exactly what we're doing (aside from goalkicking) against bulldogs.

I know I know- young team and all that.

But our decision making in every element - where to kick, who to tackle, when to go fast, when to go slow, when to lock it in, when to spoil v mark - all of these things had like a 40% improvement against the dogs.

MacDonald is one of the elite runners at the club, alongside Weddle, Maginess and Ward.
Correct me if I'm wrong- but it feels like it doesn't get spoken about as much for him in the mainstream footy dialogue?

First time I've seen his numbers this high in a game (not that I pay much attention, mind)

It's actually quite amazing how we can go from a team that looks completely lost and confused v Sydney, to a side that looks mature and knows exactly what we're doing (aside from goalkicking) against bulldogs.

I know I know- young team and all that.

But our decision making in every element - where to kick, who to tackle, when to go fast, when to go slow, when to lock it in, when to spoil v mark - all of these things had like a 40% improvement against the dogs.
Sydney just punished us, and we couldn’t convert much if any of our transition footy into scoreboard pressure.

As an example, the Giants allowed Sydney 67 inside 50s on the weekend and they scored 14.14 from 27 shots on goal.
Giants themselves scored 10.9 from their 42 inside 50’s, and 18 shots on goal.
It was another 10 goal mauling that went begging for the Swans.

A week earlier we kept Swans to just 50 inside 50’s(16 less than the Giants did), but they kicked 18.10 from their 29 shots on goal.

We had 20 shots on goal from 47 inside 50’s.

Consistency of execution in a number of ways is what we are seeing impact our output from week to week.

Sydney just punished us, and we couldn’t convert much if any of our transition footy into scoreboard pressure.

As an example, the Giants allowed Sydney 67 inside 50s on the weekend and they scored 14.14 from 27 shots on goal.
Giants themselves scored 10.9 from their 42 inside 50’s, and 18 shots on goal.
It was another 10 goal mauling that went begging for the Swans.

A week earlier we kept Swans to just 50 inside 50’s(16 less than the Giants did), but they kicked 18.10 from their 29 shots on goal.

We had 20 shots on goal from 47 inside 50’s.

Consistency of execution in a number of ways is what we are seeing impact our output from week to week.
Great analysis there. The swans had way more polish than us last week, arguably aided by a fk tonne of confidence by the umpiring decisions that went their way early on. In the same way that our confidence was absolutely sapped by half time. The expected score according to XScore in that game was 67-93, which in general play, in my view, was about the difference between the sides. The swans game is not a true reflection of where we’re at. On Sunday’s game against the dogs, there’s no way we are a bottom four side.

I think unfortunately we have to accept it’s both human nature and certainly how the media industry works to focus on the negatives and controversy because it is what people are attracted to. There is a reason the mainstream news leads with all the horror stories and has a fluffy animal story to finish this is just the AFLs version of that.

Anyone listen to Hoyney on SEN provides great insight where we are heading and for us to be patient. We are killing the stat of ground ball gets post clearance which is where we won the game. He provides the most unbiased view in the media because it is based off data
It's not a bad stat to own. Shows our boys love a contest.

Yeah, I hate the expression. Disrespectful and lazy.

I chose to express my thoughts in a light hearted way but agree with you completely.
I propose we replace it with a range of expressions to reflect how far off their best these players are.

In order, from best to worst, players are:

1. Sautéed
  2. Caramelized
  3. Medium-rare
  4. Considered to have "have left their juices in the pan"
  5. Flambéed
  6. Well done
  7. Burnt offerings
  8. "Wouldn't feed it to the dog"

It will revolutionize commentary.

"Gee, I don't know BT. Sprigglehaüser looks as though he's left most of his juices in the pan, and is speculatively eyeing off being flambéed."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libba one week for his tackle on Day (pinned arm, spun around, head into the deck)

Day two weeks for an identical tackle last year against Geelong.

MRP consistently inconsistent.

We struggled to move the ball against Sydney, couldn't get it out of the back half.

When that kind of pressure starts to ramp up, things tend to fall to pieces a bit for us at the moment.

The minute we got a mark at half back on the way out of D50 against the dogs, things started to turn around after their crazy hot start.

Against the Swans, we weren't able to relieve the pressure at all, couldn't buy a possession after that first kick outside D50.

Libba one week for his tackle on Day (pinned arm, spun around, head into the deck)

Day two weeks for an identical tackle last year against Geelong.

MRP consistently inconsistent.
Easy to give Libba a week when he is basically ruled out due to concussion himself. Bet you he wouldn’t have received a week if fit. They pick and choose, especially in regard to the player and/or team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back