Autopsy Round 6, 2024 : Hawks skittle Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson uses his own money to hire Rath, early Hawthorn. Dominates the cap at North when he is incredibly wealthy. Why? What changed?

Early Clarkson hit the mark when he was innovative. Does he have it in him? I actually admire trying things he did that destroyed our list, he tried a plan. Hindsight is easy. Don’t argue with me, he did it and thought it would work. He did other things that were unusual and did. Everyone copied him.

Loved in the last 1/4 how at half back ball in dispute and Frenchie attacked the ball/North player and forced the ball to spill out. He just went harder then anyone at it . We get the ball , rebound , goal.
We wouldn't have seen that a month ago from him.

Reckon that'll get a big run on the highlight package from the coaches .

Clarkson uses his own money to hire Rath, early Hawthorn. Dominates the cap at North when he is incredibly wealthy. Why? What changed?

Early Clarkson hit the mark when he was innovative. Does he have it in him? I actually admire trying things he did that destroyed our list, he tried a plan. Hindsight is easy. Don’t argue with me, he did it and thought it would work. He did other things that were unusual and did. Everyone copied him.
Clarkson has always benefited from strong people around him, ratten challenged him at North and look what ended up happening, he seems to have surrounded himself with yes man and the players are playing like the last 2 years with the hawks, absolutely no energy.

(Fortunately we have ratts back and I think our best soft cap pickup)

Recent history says a number of horrid decisions now make it a trend, when’s the good decision coming?

North don't need any more priority picks. They have a plethora of elite young talents on their list.

Right now they just need to develop them. A priority pick isn't going go help them for another three/four years (unless they end up being Sheezel, Reid or Naicos), unless they have to trade it for an established player.

Clarkson has always benefited from strong people around him, ratten challenged him at North and look what ended up happening, he seems to have surrounded himself with yes man and the players are playing like the last 2 years with the hawks, absolutely no energy.

(Fortunately we have ratts back and I think our best soft cap pickup)

Recent history says a number of horrid decisions now make it a trend, when’s the good decision coming?
I didn’t know the reason for Ratten leaving the Roos. That he went in for round two with Clarko may have been his only afl option. That he filled in for Clarko would see most people very grateful.

If Tassie is already in the back of his mind he should just walk away.

I think about Clarko the coach only when we play them. If they get 5 wins it doesn’t change much. Feel for North fans and don’t begrudge McKay and others wanting to not carry the load.

Fair final question.

He was a recently retired teacher with dreams of a successful football consign career, he's now a multi millionaire with success behind him. Ego clearly isn't in check and drinks his own bath water.

He was a recently retired teacher with dreams of a successful football consign career, he's now a multi millionaire with success behind him. Ego clearly isn't in check and drinks his own bath water.
Coached SANFL, VFL(?) and assistant at Port after teaching.

That we can all recount his press conference cliche makes his autopilot approach seem like it as well. Tough when the North hierarchy unflinchingly back him. There has got to be stories unfolding that will sell papers…

One thing I noticed that would be concerning for North fans.

When Moore had his set shot at goal at the end of the second quarter, from about 25m out, he hooked around and snapped it. His kick wasn't a high one and crossed the line quite low, it could have potentially been touched, but there were no players on the line.

That is just rookie level stuff and is so lazy.
To be fair last year didn’t we let Jeremy Cameron dribble one on his right along he ground through 3 defenders watching and gesticulating? I don’t think they needed that example to understand how dire the club is. They really needed Reid and should have traded most of their early picks for him. Now they have more good young prospects who won’t be developed rather than a club changer. They really need to bring in some late 20s to early 30s leaders or they are going nowhere as they are bereft of leadership. And poach someone elite in player development.

Norths backline was an absolute shambles. Corr and Nyuon just leaked goals (nyuon couldn’t match up with Gunston who had previously struggled at vfl level). Hard for any team when defence is a shambles as structures just break down. Losing Logie to injury and McKay has stuffed them short term.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they have a different looking backline in 12-18 months and they rapidly become more competitive.

Think we are understating how important frost and scrim have been this year for us. Have really backline together with Sicily down on form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m with you. The last ‘five year plan’ suggests the whole club heirarchy was on board too. We don’t discuss that much now

If LDU leave and Zurhaar, what’s the point in all the top picks if you don’t have the players buying in and leave as soon as they can?
Their senior players would be signing contracts if they believed in what the club was building.
Some posters on the Notth board are screaming out for the AFL to step in and get involved like they did with Melbourne and the appointment of Paul Roos.
This is a much bigger task that Clarko has taken on than when he walked into our club, and seemingly with less hunger and energy to do it.

As TylerDurden said, Clarko to Tasmania is a possibility.

His manager is James Henderson who is a key figure in the formation of theTasmanian club. Clarko goes, Sheeze is still stuck on his Kangas contract. North are doing nothing between now and the end of Clarkos contract, wasted the last ten years of his coaching life. He is virtually in Sheedy territory with his final years and then pops up with a new franchise and has his infamous prematch recorded that has been mocked since.

Fagan will have left the Lions, is a Tasmanian and doesn’t Clarko stick fattest with his mates. Fagan can be the Mark Williams to Clarko/Sheedy at the devils.

Pelchen, getting the 2004 gang back together.

Thought it explained itself really😉.
Pelchen and Clarko don’t get on.

The fact that Clarko wasn’t a lone actor gorn rogue. It seems to be peoples recollections
It’s been done to death. The club backed in the coach and his plan.

It didn’t work out for a myriad of reasons.

The fact that Clarko wasn’t a lone actor gorn rogue. It seems to be peoples recollections

On the 2050 plan - definitely not. Running the footy department as his own fiefdom towards the end due to it being stacked with his people - very much so.

I didn’t know the reason for Ratten leaving the Roos. That he went in for round two with Clarko may have been his only afl option. That he filled in for Clarko would see most people very grateful.

If Tassie is already in the back of his mind he should just walk away.

I think about Clarko the coach only when we play them. If they get 5 wins it doesn’t change much. Feel for North fans and don’t begrudge McKay and others wanting to not carry the load.

Fair final question.
You would crazy to just give clarko the keys to tassie, he really needs to nuckle down with North and go back to what made him a good coach - much harder to do then say though

That's interesting, I didn't realise that was the case. He obviously didn't learn from Mark Williams when he was at Port Adelaide. Williams absorbed most of the coaching cap and left little for his assistants. When Clarko came to Hawthorn, he took a lot of the coaching talent with him, and they were grateful to be paid well for a change.

As a result, Port Adelaide went into decline. Sounds like he's morphed into Williams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back