Autopsy Round 5, 2024 - Suns destroy hopeless Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

I stopped reading at Scrimma not being AFL standard, you’re ******* kidding aren’t you?
Maybe I should have moderated my post a bit... When we play like crap, he has a (relatively) good game; when we are on, he is one that doesn't quite make the marque. AFL standard - maybe; but he is not going to be a key player for a GF winning team.

Can't compare the games of 'yore to the modern game, it's not like you can run through an opponent and have the umpire go "LOL good one mate" anymore.

Very true.

Byron Pickett was pretty much the end of all that. Peeps finally woke up to crazy idea that if you step past the ball, and decide to cave in someone's face instead of fighting for possession it's probably not a good thing for the game long term.

Different game, different times for sure.

I still love watching 89 though.

Maybe I should have moderated my post a bit... When we play like crap, he has a (relatively) good game; when we are on, he is one that doesn't quite make the marque. AFL standard - maybe; but he is not going to be a key player for a GF winning team.

Hole getting deeper. He's played very well at times when we've won games, and looked a million bucks with his marking and distribution.

OK.. we beg to differ... I'm cool with that... I will still stand by what I have said... Let's wait until we have a cracker and see how many complain of him not quite being there...

I can't see him being a catalyst of a successful side... I'd love to be proven wrong... But in the games I have seen, I am yet to be conviced he will be able to do it. at least consistently.

Not surprised by the result last night, we have too many young players in, you simply cannot have 10-11 players with less than 50 games and/or <21 years old and expect to win many games. At most we should have 5-6, the balance is all wrong.
You're right, - we have the same problem at North, with 13 players under 50 games in our last match. It'll be good to see young players battle it out next week, in a fairer contest. Best of luck. Kind hoping we either win, or get thrashed and it precipitates more list changes... not sure which is better! Mitchell thoroughly outcoached Clarkson last year, playing keepings off against us.

But you can't simply look at the list profile, without looking at the players. The Suns had 10 players under 50 games (compared to your 12) and average age of 1 month older than your list. This excuse has been used on our board too. Our problem is our older players (especially the co captains) aren't performing.

You're right, - we have the same problem at North, with 13 players under 50 games in our last match. It'll be good to see young players battle it out next week, in a fairer contest. Best of luck. Kind hoping we either win, or get thrashed and it precipitates more list changes... not sure which is better! Mitchell thoroughly outcoached Clarkson last year, playing keepings off against us.

But you can't simply look at the list profile, without looking at the players. The Suns had 10 players under 50 games (compared to your 12) and average age of 1 month older than your list. This excuse has been used on our board too. Our problem is our older players (especially the co captains) aren't performing.
Agree, but where they are from is really telling, 10 top 10 draft picks vs 12 with a sprinkle of top end 2!, MSD and mid tier picks paints a more realistic picture.
(Before I get berated re how many picks top 10 GCF picks had on the ground, it was said tongue firmly in cheek.)

We seem to go into our shell as a club when things don't go out way early. A few bad calls against us and we lose the plot.

We need a quarter time break to reset our mentality.

We desperately need our leaders to step up and get our mindset on track during the game. Can't rely on Sam and the coaches to get our heads switched on. Teams will punish us for too long if we aren't mentally on.
Do you think we have those style of leaders currently? I think there are some that will mature into it over the next couple of seasons, but right now I’m not so sure that kind of leadership is present on-field.

Agreed. But I’ve also noticed that we have had a lot of calls the last 5 weeks. Off the top of my head, in at least three, if not four, we had a 50/50 (or worse) free against in the first 10 minutes that resulted in a goal. Must be so demoralising.

Been happening for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their midfield would destroy ours on current form so we will need to be stopping them in d50 and rebounding
It's breakeven.
Geelong's average midfield piled on 10-0 I50s in the first 5 mins.

Xerri has a go.
Simpkin out of form.
LDU on par with Worpel on form
Powell a good young mid.

Sheezel is their star. And the ball is living down there.

Lost by 86 67 53 v the coast at Carrara
Won by 53 70 51 7 at other venues

Must be the biggest differential in an AFL fixture based on location. Or close to Not the fixture you base progression/regression,
Actually with 7 venues in the last 8 games between, it’s just a hard match up to get a handle on.

When we play well Scrimmers is always one that plays well, he is a class player with his intercept marking and clean disposal.

Indeed the criticism of him has been that he has always been too much of a front runner who doesn’t dig in when times are tough but he has corrected that this year.

Unusual that with most of our midfielders having absolute shockers you gave a massive clip to the guy who was arguably best on field and is having a career best year.

My sincerest apologies to Port, Freo fans & the wider AFL audience. That tripe was not worthy of free to air coverage. A sad indictment of what we've become. A rabble.

Hawthorn is broken & each week I'm less convinced that Mitchell is the prodigal son.
Bullshit.

I know Reid was difficult to get, I was just using him as an example of the game winning type or AGrader we just don’t have.
That's fair. I don't think Reid is just a star though. Him and JHF are the types that win you games.

We know what we have to do, but execution is key. Easier said than done.

My final thoughts on this game.

Question. If you are a serious footy tipper, which game so far would you have tipped the Hawks? Maybe the Bombers?

In reality, me and 99% would have yet to pick them in any match. Just the facts.
WC, North, Tigers, Crows and after this week, Bulldogs would all be 0-5 will this draw. Imagine if the Dogs started like this! Luck of the draw/fixture.

As bad as we were on Saturday night, a few more teams are going to get belted by the Suns up there this year.

Another thing I need to say is that Scrim is NOT a lockdown key defender. We are robbing him of his best attributes to play him as KPD.

Also, we’d have to bring Philips in this week wouldn’t we?

Agree. Scrim is a half back, not a kpd, amon is a wing not a half back.

I feel like they're intentionally put of position to allow other players the chance to develop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back