Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

bads
  • coaches need to fix starts. recurring pattern they have failed to arrest.
  • around ball structure.. so often many overcommit at the contest, and we’re left with no one out the back, and off the ball goes
  • forward structure. i mean, there’s known reasons for this. and hardwick improved this in the 2nd half. yet still.. putting in the bad list
now the fun stuff
  • fight. we have it in us. ideally we don’t have to claw back all the time, but we continue to show we can dig in and arrest momentum. we’re not getting belted by 80+ points each week anymore!
  • ward. i had doubt after first half, but he fought back hard and showed us what he’s got
  • duke finding form! no more worpel carrying the torch alone
  • meek - providing presence all around the ground. that rip the ball from the pack and kick forward to ramma. mwah! making himself indispensable.
  • Dimma. do i need to elaborate?

like most, i ride the irrational emotion train during games.. but afterwards rarely feel poorly about games. feels like there’s a whole new level in reach. it’s coming down to execution, polish and constant application more than anything, and those come with experience. well.. good news guys - they’re gaining that every week!

The blame for the loss shouldn't be dumped on any individual's moment in the last quarter.

If there's blame then it sits squarely at the feet of the collective team performance in the first half.

If we can find a way to play more like the second half for longer in games then we'll be winning a lot of matches.

This is so true- 👏

I have heard Scrimmers cop it for that final kick.
CMac cop it for the missed goal.
Weddle cop it for ducking his head in the middle of the ground.

What about that collective first half!!!!!

To Strapping Young Lad. I don't care if you disagree. I've never cared what you think. So save your holier than thou rhetoric for someone else.
Ok boomer.

To Strapping Young Lad. I don't care if you disagree. I've never cared what you think. So save your holier than thou rhetoric for someone else.
If Chol had his kicking boots on, we could have been 2 goals each @ the 10 minute mark. A point he should have kicked and an OoF into the point post from a tight angle. The 2nd quarter was the problem

This is so true- 👏

I have heard Scrimmers cop it for that final kick.
CMac cop it for the missed goal.
Weddle cop it for ducking his head in the middle of the ground.

What about that collective first half!!!!!
Mystified about the criticism of Cmac today. The kid has only played two seasons, he is playing in a very difficult position as high forward in an evolving forward line, in a team that is still developing, and learning that position from scratch and by actually playing it at the highest level. He is rated above average for his position in a number of key metrics and has showed over his first two seasons that he is highly skilled - absolutely reeks of class. Yep, he had a relatively quiet game, that is going to happen in that position at this stage of his and the team's development. Looking at our four opponents this year, Cmac compares favourably this year to, say, Beau McCreery, Close, Pickett, Gresham - all of whom are much more experienced. He was called lazy today - he is one of our group of young players that have impeccable training standards and give 100% every session. Really no call to be writing off talented young players because they have a quiet game (or half game).

Second half was great. Lets start next week just like that and see how we go. I think we are a shot against anyone playing like that. Must clean out the skills and decision making and stop putting ourselves under pressure.
That's the thing. There are going to be momentum swings in games. We need to be better at limiting the damage when the other team gets on top. As you point out we just make bad decisions and skill errors resulting in sides scoring easily and quickly against us. Better starts would help. I think it's now a total of 20 to 5 goals in 1st qtrs. We're playing catch up every week. But hopefully that excellent 2nd half is a sign we've turned the corner.

At last some fight.

It seemed to me that Tom Mitchell was pretty lippy and got under the skin of a few. It was the best thing that could of happened, as it certainly fired up Newcombe who returned to form by playing angry and looking to hurt TM if he had a chance. So good to see.

Who would of thought Frosty would become essential to the team the way he has. If he goes down with injury, we will be screwed.

Return to form of Sicily (who is still enemy no. 1 of the umps) was great. He can't touch anyone, but is fair game for the opposition as the umps will not give him anything. Amon and Impey's 2nd halves were what we needed to see from them. Along with Scrimshaw.

Forward, Hardwick's move was the catalyst and who would of thought giving a bit of space to a fwd and letting him lead up to the ball would be effective! He showed real fwd craft. Moore took the cue and played his best as well.

Meek. Where have you been? Great game by the big fella. Can't rest on his laurels with Witts as his next opponent. Needs to back it up now.

My other special mention goes to Ward. I put my hand up to say I have been critical of his performance but yesterday's effort restored my faith and to see him spot up Dimma, and run away from chasing opponents was great. More of that please.

Other mentions to Mackenzie, who is making a habit of great starts but fading, whole game effort now please. Ginnivan for upsetting his old mates while adding 2 goals, cameos by Massimo and Seamus were good also.

My negatives focus on Connor Mac and Weddle. Big fans of both but disappointing yesterday. Both had the opportunity to really affect the result and missed their moments. Connor might find a vest next week or a run in the 2's as both Harry and Hus haven't been given the opportunity he has. Big wraps pre-season have not amounted to much so far.

Weddle's best spot is still a mystery. Would like to see him have a run at CHF for a stint and have license to fly for his marks.

Think we will have to grit our teeth next week and suffer through another loss before hopefully things open up a bit with a better draw and returning players.

Finally, but most importantly, can we please stop the 20 mins each game where we just lose the plot and let the other team cash in.
My wife and dog would appreciate that.
Well said.

Mystified about the criticism of Cmac today. The kid has only played two seasons, he is playing in a very difficult position as high forward in an evolving forward line, in a team that is still developing, and learning that position from scratch and by actually playing it at the highest level. He is rated above average for his position in a number of key metrics and has showed over his first two seasons that he is highly skilled - absolutely reeks of class. Yep, he had a relatively quiet game, that is going to happen in that position at this stage of his and the team's development. Looking at our four opponents this year, Cmac compares favourably this year to, say, Beau McCreery, Close, Pickett, Gresham - all of whom are much more experienced. He was called lazy today - he is one of our group of young players that have impeccable training standards and give 100% every session. Really no call to be writing off talented young players because they have a quiet game (or half game).
He will be a player.

I think Newc has gone back to his dna in the last 2 weeks.

Newc vs Coll 18 contested possessions, 10 clearances, seven tackles and six inside 50s.

I think in the first 2 weeks he was playing more of an outside game which he could do last year when Reeve’s was giving him hit outs to advantage. Day and Nash were winning a lot of inside ball last year and feeding Newc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironically the missed goal by McDonald actually highlighted his smarts and game awareness. A lot of players probably wouldn't have sensed they were in space and taken the extra steps to break away and kick on their preferred foot, especially as the game was so damn frantic at that stage

I wasn't mad he missed because I was so impressed at his composure to straighten up and kick at the most comfortable moment.

Ironically the missed goal by McDonald actually highlighted his smarts and game awareness. A lot of players probably wouldn't have sensed they were in space and taken the extra steps to break away and kick on their preferred foot, especially as the game was so damn frantic at that stage
Yes fair call.
Can you imagine the vibe on this forum if he had drilled the goal. As Al Pacino says...it's matter of inches....

Last week we saw a quarter fightback to come within 4 points, and yesterday we fought back again against the reigning premiers.

I think we are starting to gel.

It is bloody good to see our ruckman bustling through packs also.

There is a lot of talk questioning CMac and Weddle in this forum.

I am not sure what the go is with Cmac right now. He has had an OK start to the season but quiet yesterday. What is clear to me however, is he has a lot of class and his big games are ahead of him.

Weddle is obviously being played as a defender either out of necessity or as a block of learning the defensive art. Or both.

Once released, probably second half this year after CJ and DGB are available, we will see the benefit of his education as he is let loose.

No problem with either of these boys and think they will be exciting players for us for many years.

I was super pleased to see Ward impose himself in the second half. Some exceptional ball usage into the forward 50.

Finally, wont it be great if Meek can continue to build on his game yesterday? Might turn into a Briggs/Mumford style ruckman, which would be very beneficial as we grow.

Last edited:
The thing with Cmac and that late miss. It’s not as if he was like a rabbit seeing a spotlight and blazed away with a desperate crap shot ….. he actually assessed the situation well and took the game on putting himself in a beautiful position in front of goal but just didn’t finish. Wasn’t the first or won’t be the last to do this hopefully the next time he will nail it.

Re Tom Mitchell. He is really coming across like a dick and just doesn’t like Hawthorn. So we took him in with open arms as Swans didn’t really want him. Tick. Leaves the Hawks and 12 months later wins a premiership. Probably the BIGGEST tick in anyone playing the game. What is your problem! Be happy Tom and just move on. Should take a leaf out of Ginni’s book from yesterday.

Last edited:
So many important moments which for me are a sign of us starting to find our groove as a team.

• Chol's tap on late in the 4th was crucial and the boys got around him after Moore finished off his work. Was a lot of desperation in this play but Chol is what I'm highlighting as he knew what was ahead and flung himself at the ball to knock it forward and keep us alive.
  • Massimo's goal line save. That goes through and it saps confidence and kills our momentum. He's been a great recruit
  • Hardwick forward and given space. Credit to the coaching team on this one, they didn't just throw him forward, they made sure that he got to play deep and organise the forwards and it paid massive dividends
  • Meek was a bull the whole game. Offered us so much around the ground and in the ruck and we are starting to see him grow in confidence and maybe feel like he belongs.
  • Newcombe stealing the ball and dobbing a goal from 40 really got him going. Still not at his best but the hunger is back.

Game was lost in the second quarter when we just seemed to lose our structures and become entirely predictable with ball in hand. Dropping the tag allowed us to implement our game plan better which meant that we were able to move the ball in a more purposeful way. Not sure where that leaves Finn moving forward, he wasn't bad around the ground but his disposal needs work.

All in all, a lot of good signs but still lacking a 4 quarter effort. That's the end goal and I'm hopeful we aren't far away from seeing that. The frustration from supporters (myself included) remains our inability to turn up for four quarters of footy a week. We are our own worst enemy at the moment but plenty of time to iron this out and start to build some momentum.

Go Hawks.

All I'm gonna say is that there is a Pies supporter down at the dog park who watched Blake play as a junior and has been filthy with us for not playing him forward. I'm expecting a "Told ya!" (which I do agree with).

How funny is the quote from Ginnivan regarding Selwood.

I love the Selwood comparisons and I heard Josh Jenkins on the weekend say “Joel is not happy with them” which should ramp things up even more 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back