Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. That’s a terrible idea. We HAVE the players. It will be a number of ingredients that aren’t fitting well. Fitness, motivation, confidence, player development, experience in the coaches box, and Experience on the field. Not enough of one and too much of another….the right mix can be on a knifes edge. We play small passages where it clicks and then it doesn’t for long periods of time. In the bigger picture, If it continues this way then the board should ask themselves was it the right decision to appoint an inexperienced senior coach to put diapers on players and send them into the real world and blend players together. Crucial year for our coaching staff to get things marginally right moving forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good depth in role players. More cream is an obvious requirement.

A week is a long time.

I fully expect a flurry of late season wins.
Yep exactly. I also still strongly believe our groups best footy can hang with anyone in the comp, so if we have a handful of games where we actually turn up for 3+ Qtrs we will give someone a shock upset. Problem is we are playing less than 1.5 Qtrs of good footy at the moment

Not sure what would be harder to come to terms with.

The idea we really did put in effort but were still so easily smashed - highlighting the massive gulf in class, gameplan and in-game management between ourselves and a top four fancy (that is still one of the younger sides in the competition).

Or the idea we didn't put in enough of an effort, which IMO, is evidenced by the respective tackle counts and the players looking like they'd given up hope early into the second quarter.

It would probably be easier to stomach if it was the latter.

Great Buddy send off. He walked slowly from centre wing towards Hawks cheer squad ……. majority of Swans supporters were city end! Was definitely his day for saying good bye and thank you to Hawthorn.

Yes flipping loved this.

I full well thought he was there to thank both supporter bases etc but was largely focused on his time in the brown and gold, kids wearing the all the gear, gave the time predominantly to our fans.

Hes got a massive legacy left at both clubs, but it was good to just have him to ourselves in a sense on the weekend and be a bit selfish again. Didn’t owe us anything like that at all, what a legend for doing that for our fans.

It's a hard watch at the moment that's for sure. I'm guilty of letting my emotions get the better of me at times.. I will always regret a derogatory comment I posted about Smithy when he missed a goal some years ago. When playing a top team it seems any error is exaggerated because it usually results in a score for the oppo. It's easy to exemplify support and solidarity when the team is on top but now (And a few years to come) is when the club and the players need our encouragement the most. Sit back and think about what it takes to be selected to play for any AFL team. The years of sacrifice and effort, not only for the player but their support network. And at the end of the day how many make it. Point bugger all of 1%. I suggest any Hawthorn supporter who bronx cheers or boos one of our players gets an Essendon or Carlton membership. That sort of repugnant puerile crap is the domain of other teams 'supporters'.

Yes *ing loved this.

I full well thought he was there to thank both supporter bases etc but was largely focused on his time in the brown and gold, kids wearing the all the gear, gave the time predominantly to our fans.

Hes got a massive legacy left at both clubs, but it was good to just have him to ourselves in a sense on the weekend and be a bit selfish again. Didn’t owe us anything like that at all, what a legend for doing that for our fans.

I just expected it also to be for Sydney fans in Melbourne - who probably didn’t see his Sydney based farewell

But of course you can’t expect a walking circuit of the G especially with young kids

Which is more to my point that going full bottom out now by trading our senior players with currency would just leave a developing list horribly exposed. Sicily, once he gets over whatever is going on with him, is one of the league's best rebounding defenders who can cover our lack of an elite KPD. Lewis, when fit, is capable of being as good as Larkey - we just have to hope he can get some continual fitness. Scrimmers is hitting his best form and about to enter his prime years. Trading him wouldn't yield all that much and would leave our backline exposed.

We will likely getting another top 5 pick both this year and next - every chance we can request a priority pick also. I think there is enough time to get more quality youth on the list prior to Tassie's entry without leaving the cupboard entirely bare and trading what quality players we have.
Plus you wouldn't trade Sicily and Lewis now - that ship has sailed.

It could have made sense getting a compo for Sicily and before it has become apparent Lewis is injury prone. Definitely not now.

Would be very happy with Jack in the side if he:
  • Provides leadership
  • Provides a good 2nd or 3rd target
  • Kicks straight to reward the team's effort

The poor goal kicking is so deflating.

Gunners has never been a key position player !
His best football has always been as a 3rd Tall and he does not have the body strength to go with the bigger bodied back man and has always played off his football smarts.
He maybe cooked and his kicking at goal has been off but I don’t think Sam should be playing Gunner as our second key forward going forward?
But to give him the best chance of giving his best for the team we need to go back to this as he provides some leadership in our forward half!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where is our next win coming from? West Coast at the G? Maybe? We are lucky North are generationally bad.

Ramsden as sub was a more baffling choice than Finn.
Very little on-field leadership.
Only positives were Moore and Mackenzie developing nicely. Half the time he receives the ball he ends up having to go backwards because there's just nothing offering in front of him. At least he doesn't want to waste it.

We currently have picks 2 & 29 which will probably blow out to 4/5 and 40+. Where are we getting more picks?? Before anyone gets on their high horse, yes we need more picks. We are in the middle of a rebuild FFS.

Heavily frontload contracts to get FA role players in, we just don't have the cattle/enough senior bodies preventing us from getting smacked.

Has there even been a mid-year captaincy swap? Now might be the time to consider it.
We play WCE in perth

The swans game was the first time we've seen a MASSIVE amount of consecutive goals (5+). It was a massive failing last year that we couldn't real back a team once they got rolling.

Against the Suns, despite that low low effort the most they got in a row against us was 3.

I mean we got spanked in both games so it's a minor consolation - but that backline is holding up so so much better this year.
Sequence should have been broken up but goals were overturned for pissant reasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd and Selwood slipped down the draft order because ‘injury prone’ it’s a term which can be used and abused at will.

Lewis 14-15 games for 3 years now. 25yo

Not sure what would be harder to come to terms with.

The idea we really did put in effort but were still so easily smashed - highlighting the massive gulf in class, gameplan and in-game management between ourselves and a top four fancy (that is still one of the younger sides in the competition).

Or the idea we didn't put in enough of an effort, which IMO, is evidenced by the respective tackle counts and the players looking like they'd given up hope early into the second quarter.

It would probably be easier to stomach if it was the latter.
Well I guess the question is - did you prefer the gold coast loss or the sydney loss?

Yep depth is definitely there, look at Box Hill having finished near the top for the past few seasons, just need either A. Some of our current talent to take the next level or B. Recruit / Draft the talent who are a class above everyone else
Massive difference between VFL and AFL.

I used to think the same but not so sure these days it matters.

If Sicily gets the tap on the shoulder with the Captaincy he may want to move on after the contract is up.

He could command big bucks these days.

He does not look like a player enjoying the game at present.

Newk is also a player that looks flat.

Players look they are playing with no spirit.

Yes *ing loved this.

Like anyone, I was disappointed when he left the club, especially when they only gave us pick #19 as compensation, but I never stopped being a Buddy fan. I'd watch Sydney matches just to see what he could do, and hope if they were playing the Hawks he'd have a rare poor game.

I think there will always be a place in the hearts of genuine Hawks fans, he gave us so much when wearing the brown & gold.

Judd and Selwood slipped down the draft order because ‘injury prone’ it’s a term which can be used and abused at will.

Lewis 14-15 games for 3 years now. 25yo
How did Judd slip down the draft order? Hawthorn were always going to take Hodge, and St.Kilda's preference was Ball. Judd went at number 3. Yes, there was talk about Judd being injury prone, but I'm certain it didn't affect the draft. I can't recall the numbers, but Hodge was most clubs' preference.

Can you imagine if we'd kept Buddy and picked Selwood up at 6 instead of Thorpe? How many flags would we have won? Ah well, the fortunes of war.

Which is more to my point that going full bottom out now by trading our senior players with currency would just leave a developing list horribly exposed. Sicily, once he gets over whatever is going on with him, is one of the league's best rebounding defenders who can cover our lack of an elite KPD. Lewis, when fit, is capable of being as good as Larkey - we just have to hope he can get some continual fitness. Scrimmers is hitting his best form and about to enter his prime years. Trading him wouldn't yield all that much and would leave our backline exposed.

We will likely getting another top 5 pick both this year and next - every chance we can request a priority pick also. I think there is enough time to get more quality youth on the list prior to Tassie's entry without leaving the cupboard entirely bare and trading what quality players we have.
Need to get another key forward. I'm a believer in Lewis, but he's never played more than 15 in a season. We aren't contending if we don't have another target.

In the mean time, we need another dynamic mid and a defensive type mid like a Dunkley. Bailey Smith and Josh Smillie would effectively solve this, yet Smillie is off to Norf. Day, Newk, Frenchie, Smith, Smillie, Worpel is formidable.

Need a third tall forward. Moore, Watto, Ginni are our small forwards for the next 10 years.

Need another key back. Need to trade in a Melican type.

We just need 2-3 more elite talents. Alongside some structural changes.

While i reckon we're capable of beating most sides on our day, the Swans are in a league of their own. Being at the ground it was clear just how good they were. I don't remember seeing such a skilled, well-structured side and reckon they're flag favourites. They have a potent forward line too.

I've seen us been thrashed in many a game over the years, but we were VFL standard yesterday. We embarrassed ourselves with basic skill errors all day. While a lot of that was to do with the immense pressure they put us under, the amount of fumbling at crucial stages shows we just don't have the skills to execute the game plan, so not sure what the answer to that is. While Cam Mackenzie didn't have his best performance, he was in absolutely everything so that was encouraging to see and reckon he'll learn a lot from that game. Don't know what's happened to Jai Newcombe this year but we desperately need him to lift.

How did Judd slip down the draft order? Hawthorn were always going to take Hodge, and St.Kilda's preference was Ball. Judd went at number 3. Yes, there was talk about Judd being injury prone, but I'm certain it didn't affect the draft. I can't recall the numbers, but Hodge was most clubs' preference.

Can you imagine if we'd kept Buddy and picked Selwood up at 6 instead of Thorpe? How many flags would we have won? Ah well, the fortunes of war.

Don’t forget pendles. Salary cap definitely an issue. Buddy, rough, Lewis over 3 drafts averages out a bit

Still haven't seen the Chol incident yet but it was def a free kick? Fancy Hardwick nailing that ripper of a goal outside 50m only for that to happen. It was the exact moment the game was taken away from us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back