Review Round 6 - Sydney @ The SCG - 21st April 2024 - 1pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Would say our inability to kick to our own players advantage is where the biggest weakness today.

We got a proper lesson today. But need to learn from it to make it worthwhile.

Not so worried about the sub 50 gamers, I am sure they will take plenty from it. But there are a few more experienced players who have to be better if we are going to compete against good teams on the road. They should have already had their 'lessons'. An OK performance is not good enough for our best players. Rowell and then daylight today.

We play 12 road games and so far a win on the road looks a long way off.

People need to realise this team is still 2 years or so away from really being a finals threat.
They look good against weaker teams and are extremely competitive at home against anyone but struggle to travel.
This team is still young in the overall scheme of things.
5 first year players and another 3 essentially in their 2nd season.
Even with the result today this is the first time I’m actually seeing the club moving in the right direction and the ability coming through to actually be a premiership threat in 2-3 years.
Everyone needs to just take a deep breath and remember there is a longer term plan than this season.
Dimma can see the potential in these young 1st year players, hence why he is blooding them so early, we all knew change was needed, and now we are finally seeing it. If it results in a slight step back and an up and down season, I’m happy with that.

People need to realise this team is still 2 years or so away from really being a finals threat.
They look good against weaker teams and are extremely competitive at home against anyone but struggle to travel.
Even with the result today this is the first time I’m actually seeing the club moving in the right direction and the ability coming through to actually be a premiership threat in 2-3 years.
Everyone needs to just take a deep breath and remember there is a longer term plan than this season.
Dimma can see the potential in these young 1st year players, hence why he is blooding them so early, we all knew change was needed, and now we are finally seeing it. If it results in a slight step back and an up and down season, I’m happy with that.
Did you post this from the wrong account?

While we have to accept that we are a young team, the biggest issue today was that it was the senior players failing to fire, and the kids had no hope of excelling.

Touk, Noah, Collins, Ballard, Lukosius, King, Ainsworth all poor and we just can’t overcome that.

Meanwhile thought Clohesy was pretty good, Walter is going to be very good, and Graham had some moments.

Just unacceptable from a whole group who are supposed to be leading the club forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another failed test on the road. Crappy performance similar to Ballarat game.

Not bringing effort in first quarters on the road is not on kids.

Midfield exposed.

Not sure finals as a baseline is a realistic goal this year. Let's see after bye but I am not holding my breath.

We really did not play good teams at home yet.

Now I am even worried about Eagles 😂

Then maybe Dimma should tell us about a new baseline for this year.

The non-competitive starts on the road are not on kids.

This is not re-build. Just taking next step. If we don't play finals this or next year, we could be in trouble keeping important players.

It does take time to implement plan. Hoping after bye to see more consistency.

Last edited:
We got a proper lesson today. But need to learn from it to make it worthwhile.
Brought back to earth against one of the heavyweights of the competition. Kind of felt like the Bulldogs game with all the mistakes we were making, except this was against a true premiership contender on their home deck so the level of difficulty was raised.

Small sample size but we did bounce back well in the fortnight that followed the Dogs game so I'm optimistic that we can do the same over the next two weeks against West Coast and Brisbane. One positive is that we don't have to travel over the next fortnight and I think it's fair to say we're nowhere near as good on the road this season as we've been at home.

It's also important to remember that the Pies and Giants took around 8-10 weeks for an almost identical game plan to really take flight and we're currently at week 6. Still a few weeks before we can confidently say it's not a game plan teething issue. Anyway, onto the Eagles now.

Brought back to earth against one of the heavyweights of the competition. Kind of felt like the Bulldogs game with all the mistakes we were making, except this was against a true premiership contender on their home deck so the level of difficulty was raised.

Small sample size but we did bounce back well in the fortnight that followed the Dogs game so I'm optimistic that we can do the same over the next two weeks against West Coast and Brisbane. One positive is that we don't have to travel over the next fortnight and I think it's fair to say we're nowhere near as good on the road this season as we've been at home.

It's also important to remember that the Pies and Giants took around 8-10 weeks for an almost identical game plan to really take flight and we're currently at week 6. Still a few weeks before we can confidently say it's not a game plan teething issue. Anyway, onto the Eagles now.
Swans were ordinary in two games before playing us. I don't think they were great today except very accurate set-shots. They also put some good pressure on us in patches, but we gave them like 10 goals on platter. Some terrible turnovers.

We just can't start games on the road like that and not convert easy set-shots. Everything has to go right to have a chance.

We played very young and experienced teams in the last 3 rounds. It will probably bite us against experienced teams.

Swans were ordinary in two games before playing us. I don't think they were great today except very accurate set-shots. They also put some good pressure on us in patches, but we gave them like 10 goals on platter. Some terrible turnovers.

We just can't start games on the road like that and not convert easy set-shots. Everything has to go right to have a chance.

We played very young and experienced teams in the last 3 rounds. It will probably bite us against experienced teams.
I thought they were exceptional for some of the game at hitting targets and running really good leading patterns

Then maybe Dimma should tell us about a new baseline for this year.

The non-competitive starts on the road are not on kids.

This is not re-build. Just taking next step. If we don't play finals this or next year, we could be in trouble keeping important players.

It does take time to implement plan. Hoping after bye to see more consistency.
Dimma is never going to come out and say finals this year isn’t the end goal. One, he won’t put a cap on what’s possible and two, he will want to build belief in the players.
This is most certainly not a rebuild, it is all about developing the missing pieces.
All I’m saying is everyone just needs to temper their expectations this year.

I thought they were exceptional for some of the game at hitting targets and running really good leading patterns
Some of their kicking through the guts was immense. Missed very few targets when we gave them a tiny bit of space.
Yeah, I thought the Swans were very good today as well. I think 90% of the league would've lost to them today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back