Review Round 6 - Sydney @ The SCG - 21st April 2024 - 1pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm the Champion Pessimist but I actually thought we'd win today.
We made the Hawks look like a VFL team last week
We had pressure skill and dominance but then....the road
We are just arse on the road and until the Club figures out the psychology and rhythm of getting the boys up for away games we will finish 12-14th in perpetuity
Just as an aside.
Winning on the road has never been one of Dimmas major concerns ;)so hopefully there's someone in the Club who can identify the problem and tweak appropriately

Haven’t watched the game on tv but view from being at the ground (take the score out of it) I don’t think it was as bad as the melts on here.

it was pretty much over in the first quarter although we got close for a bit it’s really too hard to come back from that far back

Ultimately imo we went in too young leaving too much for the experienced players to carry

You can see what’s trying to be implemented but frustratingly still a lot of bad habits creep in when it’s time to dig in a grind

He does my head in Ben King.
He is a strong and fast athlete.
Yet he plays for frees, puts his hands out at umpires when he’s well beaten, doesn’t chase hard using his speed, gives up, drops his bottom lip and seems to act like he’s doing us all a huge favour by agreeing to be our full forward.

I’d love him to be kicked up the bum and told to harden up.

David King suggesting King at CHB, i was torched alive suggesting that last year
Why on earth would we move the one forward that's consistently kicking goals for us almost every week?

R0 - 5
R1 - 0 (heavy rain)
R2 - 2
R3 - 3
R4 - 4
R5 - 2
TOTAL - 16 (equal 4th in the Coleman)

Where are our goals going to come from if it's not King? Lukosius is inconsistent, Walter isn't ready to kick bags yet, Read isn't ready either, Casboult appears to have really declined this year and don't even get me started on Day.

We have a known, young, goal kicker in King with a huge scope for future improvement (based on all the “constructive” criticism he receives in here).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would we move the one forward that's consistently kicking goals for us almost every week?

R0 - 5
R1 - 0 (heavy rain)
R2 - 2
R3 - 3
R4 - 4
R5 - 2

Where are our goals going to come from if it's not King? Lukosius is inconsistent, Walter isn't ready to kick bags yet, Read isn't ready either, Casboult appears to have really declined this year and don't even get me started on Day.

Luko kicked 39 last year and if allowed to continue full-time fwd, would likely hit the 50+ this season.

King 60+
Luko 50+
Walter 30+

That’s heading in the right direction for years to come.

Luko kicked 39 last year and if allowed to continue full-time fwd, would likely hit the 50+ this season.

King 60+
Luko 50+
Walter 30+

That’s heading in the right direction for years to come.
I guess the issue is what do we do with Read long-term? Is he replacing Witts in 3 years and Moyle will be gone?

King on SEN right now. Don't agree with his analysis of our defence (replace Collins, Ballard, Luko if they don't perform, move King back) but one stat was damming. In 3rd quarter, Swans had 16 entries -> 8 goals.

King on SEN right now. Don't agree with his analysis of our defence (replace Collins, Ballard, Luko if they don't perform, move King back) but one stat was damming. In 3rd quarter, Swans had 16 entries -> 8 goals.
More about forward and midfield pressure imo. Swans just walked the ball out of the backline and through the middle unimpeded. Matthew Scarlett would struggle to defend against that. People in here will get the pitchforks out but Touks defensive intent has not been at the same level it was 2021/2022. There was at least 2 separate occasions his inability to check his direct opponent cost us goals. Midfield needs to be more accountable when we turn the ball over. To much jogging and switching going on.

More about forward and midfield pressure imo. Swans just walked the ball out of the backline and through the middle unimpeded. Matthew Scarlett would struggle to defend against that. People in here will get the pitchforks out but Touks defensive intent has not been at the same level it was 2021/2022. There was at least 2 separate occasions his inability to check his direct opponent cost us goals. Midfield needs to be more accountable when we turn the ball over. To much jogging and switching going on.

I would even go far enough to say Rowell was 2x better than our next mid and he was the 4th best on the day after Heeney Rowbottom and Warner

I would even go far enough to say Rowell was 2x better than our next mid and he was the 4th best on the day after Heeney Rowbottom and Warner
I am just curious, based on what? I did not re-watch the game yet (I don't want to), didn't look at the stats. Just remember we got dominated in the middle especially in the first quarter.

Another damning stat. Suns won just 2 games on the road from the last 14.

Last edited:
I am just curious, based on what? I did not re-watch the game yet (I don't want to), didn't look at the stats. Just remember we got dominated in the middle especially in the first quarter.

Another damning stat. Suns won just 2 games on the road from the last 14.

Sydney midfield applied better pressure, mostly offensively. They would put our mids under the pump. Warner was bursting out of stoppages, Rowbottom was clamping Rowell.

Heeney so clean 28&1 probably polls the 2 or 3 (Grundy), and Gulden 30 with some very elite kicks.

Jordon kept Noah on his lease and Noah tried to work harder on the outside but was pretty meaningless touches besides his nice goal.

Touk impact hasn’t been that great, maybe because we hold him to higher standards but he hasn’t been in our best much this year.

It’s probably says a lot more about Sydney how elite they can be on their day and would be pretty tough for anyone to beat them

Probably more to do with the expectations we have on touk. He has polled coaches votes in all but 1 game ( probably 2 after the weekend) so to say he hasn't been amongst our best players is a bit of a stretch. Yes we would love him back to his blistering best but he is still a solid contributor.

yeah honestly, king luko & walter should be our KPF moving forwards. collins, ballard & andrew holding down the KPD in the backline.
if that means luko playing second ruck, i guess i'd be okay with it? luko has shown plenty up forward, i think that needs to be his spot.

yeah honestly, king luko & walter should be our KPF moving forwards. collins, ballard & andrew holding down the KPD in the backline.
if that means luko playing second ruck, i guess i'd be okay with it? luko has shown plenty up forward, i think that needs to be his spot.
Agree with that. he has been good down back but since he has been there both Powell and Ballard have been worse / havent been able to find their groove. The balance is just a bit off.

Him up fwd he would have the oppos third best defender on him and he could do pretty well in that role.

Where’s Read then? Clearly he is going to be a superb footballer.
Is he our Ruck when Witts retires?

R0 - 5
R1 - 0 (heavy rain)
R2 - 2
R3 - 3
R4 - 4
R5 - 2

It's a fair question, and points well made but King is not a natural forward, after 6 years he averages 7.5 touches a game. He plonks himself deep forward, doesn't chase, doesn't tackle, doesn't present to the ball carrier, he just waves his arms to say kick it deep and he tries to outmark his opponent, often out numbered 2-1. He has no connection with his midfield who he should have synergy with by now. But not one of our elite midfielders can connect with this bloke. Yes, he takes a good contested mark and kicks goals, and that is his job. I get that. But I can't trust him to string 4 weeks in a row for a finals series where he won't be comprehensively beaten by the competition's best key backs. He'll be a top 5 in the coleman but imo he needs to get it, or go back, to what he knows. The team needs someone to kick to, and Ben is waiving his arms in the goal square. I've seen Ethan Reed take a couple of beautiful lead up marks, seen walter wrestle and be desperate to mark or not get outmarked by his opponent, im just not seeing it from king.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back