Review Round 8 (Q-Clash XXVI) Brisbane @ The GABBA - 5th May 2024 - 7:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast holiday mode. Unless you live on the coast and have a real job (I.e. not football), you’re bound to be affected by the sun, surf and holiday atmosphere.
I took one of my boys to the UK before Christmas for a trial at one of the Yorkshire clubs
Freezing rain, snow
Sun up at 9.30 down at 3.30
Just appalling
All there is is thinking about football, eating and the other thing presumably
Welcome to Melbourne

Read not ready yet
Play Rogers against the Norths and Richmonds
Might as well stick with Walter and Graham

Read not ready yet
Play Rogers against the Norths and Richmonds
Might as well stick with Walter and Graham
We should manage them throughout the year though when/if they are clearly struggling. We have the list health to do it. Let them play 3-6 games and then have a break or some VFL games to apply what they have learnt and dominate.

If Harley Reid gets managed at a bottom club, I think we can manage a few players too. At least after Darwin I’d rest/drop Graham and Walter for a game or two. It will be very taxing for them.

Really, we should be making 1-2 unforced changes most weeks if we are playing a younger list.

From an independent observer I thought all of Andrew, King and Powell busted their guts all night and could really hold their heads high.

Was really surprised about the Ethan Read selection. He's clearly a huge talent but looks like the type of guy that needs at least a full 12 months in the VFL to develop before being considered. We're doing the same strange thing with Zane Duursma (with similar results).

I often think if this was Major League Baseball these types of players would have at least 2 years in the minor leagues to develop before remotely being considered. Seems development is approached differently in the AFL system.

I haven’t watched the game and don’t think I will based on all the comments. Could see the result days before given the hammering the Lions received in the press during the lead up. Brisbane might have a lot of punchable heads but they’re a proud club. We’ve never fared well against a side who have been gee’d up by the media the week before.

From an independent observer I thought all of Andrew, King and Powell busted their guts all night and could really hold their heads high.

Was really surprised about the Ethan Read selection. He's clearly a huge talent but looks like the type of guy that needs at least a full 12 months in the VFL to develop before being considered. We're doing the same strange thing with Zane Duursma (with similar results).

I often think if this was Major League Baseball these types of players would have at least 2 years in the minor leagues to develop before remotely being considered. Seems development is approached differently in the AFL system.
It is, to quote Dimma in fact, the “shiny new toy” approach.

Somehow, the new product is always better than the known product as it is full of potential.

I also see it as new team coaches to try and mould young players to fit their style. Then they can say “it was all me” because nobody else has helped develop them. Too cynical? Maybe…

But does Scott do that at Geelong? No, because the team has been winning for a long time so young players can slowly develop and then come in, when they are ready. Or if injury hits.

You play kids in a rebuild. But even then, it’s gotta be a balance. We’ve had our whole life of “play the kids” and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

The idea that kids can’t develop in the VFL and need AFL experience to improve is BS.

I just saw a comment on social media (presumably from a family member) saying that the players had to drive to the ground and organise their own parking. Surely this isn’t correct?

I just saw a comment on social media (presumably from a family member) saying that the players had to drive to the ground and organise their own parking. Surely this isn’t correct?
So that explains why they didn’t put the effort in.
Cost them $30 to park there cars out of there $400k minimum salary.

Heads will roll.

SO IM TOLD

Horrendous performance, however just remember how GWS started last year with a new coach. Give Dimma the full year to see if there is any improvement, that was disgusting though

Horrendous performance, however just remember how GWS started last year with a new coach. Give Dimma the full year to see if there is any improvement, that was disgusting though
Except GWS and Collingwood had the history of finals, Prelims and/GF appearances in recent years.

So we’ll see. It’s possible 1-2 player swaps could make a difference for us, and a few more tweaks, and I’m hopeful of that still.

I agree with this

Being a baseball fan myself it's almost night and day with them wanting to stash players in the minors until they're ready

Good example of this is Jackson Holiday with my Orioles. Big name prospect, Rocketed up through the system got thrown in the Big Leagues before most of his peers would and he bombed pretty hard. He's been sent back down for more seasoning.

Murdering kids confidence in the seniors before they're ready isn't the way to go. The whole "If they're good enough, they're old enough" mentality boggles my mind.

I agree with this

Being a baseball fan myself it's almost night and day with them wanting to stash players in the minors until they're ready

Good example of this is Jackson Holiday with my Orioles. Big name prospect, Rocketed up through the system got thrown in the Big Leagues before most of his peers would and he bombed pretty hard. He's been sent back down for more seasoning.

Murdering kids confidence in the seniors before they're ready isn't the way to go. The whole "If they're good enough, they're old enough" mentality boggles my mind.
There are honestly about 5 1st year draft picks who are ready in their 1st year. And only 1-2 actually have a consistent impact every game.

Most of them are mids or halfbacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a double up when they play us, which is fair enough.
If this is going to be a rivalry then our club is the one that needs to harden up and go to work.
They can be doubly insufferrable and still get a pass from me, b/c we are the ones that don't even turn up.
I actually love it when Zorks gives it to us b/c, you know, the players get to do something about it by playing better football.
He actually struggled in the VFL in round one, not that he doesn’t have the talent. It’s just that his body isn’t developed. It would say that we’re really not going anywhere this year anyway so giving him some games doesn’t really bother me.

The facts are the Lions were down on form. Lost 2 players to ACLs and one to concussion during the game and Starsarvich during the warm up.
It's was a Q Clash and the stakes were high.
We should have lost by 80+.
It's a failure of monumental proportions. Very concerning.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

80+ is a bit over the top.
Joe Daniher was the one taking a lot of those shots on goal, plus the kid spewin' up Maccas.
They were never going in. 60+ at most.

80+ is a bit over the top.
Joe Daniher was the one taking a lot of those shots on goal, plus the kid spewin' up Maccas.
They were never going in. 60+ at most.
I think it’s based on their behind score. If they evened that up in some way it’s an absolute blowout.

They kicked behind after behind later in the game. They were 8.8 and finished 10.19… Just far too many shots on goal allowed.

We saw the kind of first half a cynic would expect from the Suns. Every line failed at their job and let Brisbane play entirely their sort of game. Pressure was low, D showed no composure in defence and in exits. Forwards couldn’t slow Brisbane exits and failed to bring the ball to ground. The midfield lost the clearance battle and failed to defend the middle of the field without the ball. And by the end of the game Brisbane missed seven shots by my count they should have scored, really they should have won by at least 50 and the Suns couldn’t even put up that many.....
https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/05/08/2024-qclash-i-review-just-a-bit-embarrassing/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back