Review Round 5 - Hawthorn @ PF Stadium - 13th April 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks are going to be real tasty next week

Just looking at the draw, I think the next month is go time for us as we're playing in South East Queensland three times against teams that currently look vulnerable:

R5 v Hawks @ Carrara
R6 v Swans @ SCG
R7 v Eagles @ Carrara
R8 v Lions @ Gabba

The Hawks are winless, the Swans really struggled against West Coast for three quarters yesterday + lost to Richmond the week before, the Eagles are winless and the Lions have only beaten North + are winless at the Gabba this year. As a fanbase, I feel we should be looking at this block of games as a big opportunity to really get on a roll and score 3-4 wins after what we saw against the Giants today. The Hawks and Eagles at Carrara are non-negotiables and I think we're playing well enough to really push both the Swans and Lions on their home grounds given their current form.

The bookies currently have us as $1.27 favourites to take down the Hawks on Saturday night and the game is going to be televised in the prime time slot on Channel 7 in Melbourne so this is certainly a big opportunity for us to show the footy world what we're made of. Assuming there are no injuries, I'd want Dimma to play the same team we saw front up in Mt Barker today. Back the boys in.

Need to win this well to show we are on the right track after a positive performance this week. Hawthorn can’t be taken lightly despite being 0-4.

No changes, although I think eventually Luko goes forward for Read (who had his good moments for a 200cm beanpole rookie), with Jeffrey/someone coming in as our best 22. Means Lukosius/Andrew have to 2nd ruck, but Jack could do with getting some competition knocked into him.

Hawks are very small team and although we probably go unchanged we may run the risk of being too tall. Agree with some that read probably isn't required and maybe a makeshift ruck of luko or mac could be sufficient.
I'm not as against luko down back as some, there was some moments throughout the game he looked like his kicking was going to bust it open, and should have kicked that long goal with the breeze. The one that is worrying me more is ballard, if mac is going to play on a tall instead of the smalls like he did last year, it leaves ballard without a matchup and he isn't mobile enough to play on the smalls. The game is mostly run and link up through the middle then kick deep forward which bypasses ballard strength of the long down the line intercept. A Joel Jeffery type would have been more beneficial against the giants today than ballard, and it might be again against a mosquito fleet hawks forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time this season
MINI GF

We absolutely cannot lose this. This has to be a Best 22 and a whatever it takes game.

So it’s MINI GF on the GC this week.

Everyone that can be at the game must make the effort to be there this week.

Huge game this week. Don’t lose this one.
Hawks will NOT be easy beats - last night showed they should not be taken lightly.

This is the most important game this year as it will define whether we have what it takes or not. The team is looking great and will continue to improve BUT we must beat Hawthorn to instill a confidence in player's heads to move forward. A loss to a team yet to win a game would be shattering so please don't think we're already over the line on this one.

I still think Jeffery will be in our final best 23 with Jakes Rogers and Oscar Faulkhead to get a chance. Holman's position can't be overly secure given he doesn't get enough of the ball and will ultimately come down to a choice between he and Berry I'd guess.

Fiorini is playing better than I expected but will also be on the watch list for the season and going forward. I'd put Ainsworth in the same spot only a little safer given improved form - and that's good to see.

Very nervous about this week's game though - it either sets up the next chapter or sets us back a pace or two.

Hawks will NOT be easy beats - last night showed they should not be taken lightly.

This is the most important game this year as it will define whether we have what it takes or not. The team is looking great and will continue to improve BUT we must beat Hawthorn to instill a confidence in player's heads to move forward. A loss to a team yet to win a game would be shattering so please don't think we're already over the line on this one.

I still think Jeffery will be in our final best 23 with Jakes Rogers and Oscar Faulkhead to get a chance. Holman's position can't be overly secure given he doesn't get enough of the ball and will ultimately come down to a choice between he and Berry I'd guess.

Fiorini is playing better than I expected but will also be on the watch list for the season and going forward. I'd put Ainsworth in the same spot only a little safer given improved form - and that's good to see.

Very nervous about this week's game though - it either sets up the next chapter or sets us back a pace or two.
It think you're really wrong on Ainsworth but hey, that's just my opinion. I could be completely wrong, haha.

It think you're really wrong on Ainsworth but hey, that's just my opinion. I could be completely wrong, haha.
I've been wrong before but have been relatively impressed with Ainsworth over the last season and a bit - even laid three tackles this week which is much better than most of the boys.

Just looking at the side I lump Holman, Fiorini, Ainsworth and Berry in the same section and I think they'll ultimately be facing opposition from Rogers, Faulkhead, Jeffery and one other who hasn't popped up yet. The side has a fresh and hungry look about it - just need to actually eat a few teams over the next few weeks.

Dimma prefers the harder younger types - Uwland, Graham, Walter and so do I. Holman would be a keeper if he could only impact a little more - only 6 possessions yesterday in almost perfect conditions. One very good goal is not enough.

I've been wrong before but have been relatively impressed with Ainsworth over the last season and a bit - even laid three tackles this week which is much better than most of the boys.

Just looking at the side I lump Holman, Fiorini, Ainsworth and Berry in the same section and I think they'll ultimately be facing opposition from Rogers, Faulkhead, Jeffery and one other who hasn't popped up yet. The side has a fresh and hungry look about it - just need to actually eat a few teams over the next few weeks.

Dimma prefers the harder younger types - Uwland, Graham, Walter and so do I. Holman would be a keeper if he could only impact a little more - only 6 possessions yesterday in almost perfect conditions. One very good goal is not enough.

No lumping Ainsworth with these players :)

Personally, I think Dimma does not care about stats. Rance also mentioned it on Back Chat. The success came for Tigers only when players decided to sacrifice personal stats for the common good. Play the role in the system for the team and you will be fine. Then obviously quality comes into play.

I would expect Rogers and next year Lombard aiming for Holman/Berry spots. Berry needs to convert those easy shots like yesterday, but he surprised me positively this year so far (except Ballarat game). He did play only 30 games.

Not sure about Faulkhead but he did look good in the first VFL game. He looks stronger, great runner. Let's see if he gets opportunity. I hope so.

Once Dimma finishes with his current experimenting of talls, I really hope common sense prevails with Collins, Ballard & Mac in defence - and King, Walter & Lukosius in attack.

And just play either Moyle or Read off the bench as 2nd ruck.

It gives us balance & versatility.

Once Dimma finishes with his current experimenting of talls, I really hope common sense prevails with Collins, Ballard & Mac in defence - and King, Walter & Lukosius in attack.

And just play either Moyle or Read off the bench as 2nd ruck.

It gives us balance & versatility.
I could see Read being our swingman. Plays in all three parts of the ground, and his disposal was a highlight in his draft year. Makes sense to me.

We do have a gluttony of talls at the moment, all of them good enough to play (jury out in Read, but he kicked a goal on debut and won a few hit outs so can’t be too critical). But I wonder what it does to our ability to run out games and pressure faster teams.

Team looked much better overall though with player inclusions, with several getting big, big ticks from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back