Review Round 7 - West Coast @ PF Stadium - 28th April 2024 - 1:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones was electric. Not sure his stats but I think Rogers has a shot. Pity, he did not score more. He had 2 more goals on his boot.

Rogers looked a bit panicked early on rushing some kicks but as the game went on he became more confident. Probably a little too much team man in front of goals a couple times he had the opportunity to have a shot but looked for a team mate but that will come with more experience

I'd be going extremely hard at Rioli. He'd be amazing for us off HB

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We certainly lack some polish & composure in defence. Atkins isn’t the long term answer.

Weller will help, but adding Rioli would be the duck’s nuts.

GWS Isaac Cumming also made a decent return from injury in the VFL this week if anything happens there.

I’m feeling a 31 point win also
We asked for a 31 point win and we got a 37 point win. Pre-game expectations met/exceeded.

So we are dominating at every aspect of the game and some people are still whinging. I don't get it. If we did not give them 6 goals we would be up by 60 at 3/4.

Double inside 50, 17 more clearances, 23 more contested possessions, 12 more tackles inside 50, 4 more total tackles despite dominance. Crazy to complain, IMO. No win is easy.

Even bloody Day should have 2 goals and played well in the ruck. No, just bash him. Casboult showed nothing close to it early in the season.
It's pretty shocking, isn't it? I know we're a tortured bunch but we all know this team is not a finished product and they are going to make mistakes along the way. I know this is probably a defence mechanism in response to being burnt in the past but gee whiz! Football is a four quarter game with ebbs and flows throughout the game. There is no such thing as a perfect performance and there will always be mistakes. Particularly when you play so many youngsters in a new game plan like we do.

Some people were also so quick to write off Sam Day after a mistake or two today but if you look at his performance in totality then I think it's fair to say Day was serviceable for us both as a forward and in the ruck. No acknowledgement of this from those posters though. Just early negativity and then silence, followed by other reasons to complain. That's negativity thread posting, not game day thread posting.

I think what jake Rogers showed today was a true performance of a pressure forward, not just a forward who tries to stop a defender but puts the opposition under pressure by creating chances for the forwards. He's capable of applying a tackle when needed but someone who creates that link up play and lowers the eyes to a leading forward is putting the defence under total pressure. Holman at this stage looks like the one to make way for rosas.
Rogers was the one that definitely caught the eye today because he played a role that we've probably never really seen in our team before - at least not for a while. Like you said, a true pressure forward role that not only tries to stop a defender but also creates chances for the forwards. There were multiple times I saw Jake start a run to the ball behind his opponent and his elite speed / acceleration meant that he got to the ball first and then enivitably did something positive with it. The lowering of the eyes with the i50 entries was great to see as well and you could tell there was an existing connection between Rogers & Walter that began to shine through in that fourth quarter when Jake the Snake found big Jed on the chest for an uncontested i50 mark. So exciting to watch.

Overall it was unreal to see a second game teenager play like that! Hopefully we see some more of it in the QClash next week.

Big Red Machine don't know if you caught Dimma's press conference but he said right at the end that he's going to have a Dairy Milk. You know what that means after a win...

Kurt Angle Wrestling GIF by WWE

Some people were also so quick to write off Sam Day after a mistake or two today but if you look at his performance in totality then I think it's fair to say Day was serviceable for us both as a forward and in the ruck. No acknowledgement of this from those posters though. Just early negativity and then silence, followed by other reasons to complain. That's negativity thread posting, not game day thread posting.
Day actually turned out to be alright in the forward line but still stand by my ruck comment I made

You know day isn’t even any good in the ruck. Only ruck to contest the ball in the ball up and instead of grabbing it slaps it on in front of opponent

Lots of positives. Hopefully the midfield learnt a bit last week when they get well beaten and used that to get better this week. Will see if it holds up next week on the the road.

Backline still a work in progress. Not too worried when the ball is in the air, plenty of good marks down there. But we are really missing a quality small/medium defender with clean hands and good decision making and defensive instincts and good disposal and high footy IQ to get to the right places (but so are 8 or 9 other teams). Was hoping that was Uwland but not so far.

Would help if Powell could reduce his skill errors. That shin special kicking out from a behind with less than a minute on the clock, straight to the oppo and then a good mark and goal to Plugger Waterman, just horrendous. Suspect most of the posters on here, with a bit of training, could have kicked that one better.

tbh, I think most of us can see the fundamental problem with the backline. Luko is tall but does not play tall, he sort of plays as a medium but does not do enough of what a medium should do. So he is really neither. Hard to play him and Flanders together, not enough useful defense. One is ok, two is probably not. This is not good for Luko, getting a bit worried about where he fits. If you get moved around a lot year over year, probably means that you don't fit great.

If Luko played taller he could play as a forward/ruck who roams the ground and kicks inside 50 whenever possible, then a genuine medium/small could play in the backline alongside the height/strength of Collins/Ballard/Andrew, and Read could be the backup forward and the backup forward ruck.

Lots of positives. Hopefully the midfield learnt a bit last week when they get well beaten and used that to get better this week. Will see if it holds up next week on the the road.

Backline still a work in progress. Not too worried when the ball is in the air, plenty of good marks down there. But we are really missing a quality small/medium defender with clean hands and good decision making and defensive instincts and good disposal and high footy IQ to get to the right places (but so are 8 or 9 other teams). Was hoping that was Uwland but not so far.

Would help if Powell could reduce his skill errors. That shin special kicking out from a behind with less than a minute on the clock, straight to the oppo and then a good mark and goal to Plugger Waterman, just horrendous. Suspect most of the posters on here, with a bit of training, could have kicked that one better.

tbh, I think most of us can see the fundamental problem with the backline. Luko is tall but does not play tall, he sort of plays as a medium but does not do enough of what a medium should do. So he is really neither. Hard to play him and Flanders together, not enough useful defense. One is ok, two is probably not. This is not good for Luko, getting a bit worried about where he fits. If you get moved around a lot year over year, probably means that you don't fit great.

If Luko played taller he could play as a forward/ruck who roams the ground and kicks inside 50 whenever possible, then a genuine medium/small could play in the backline alongside the height/strength of Collins/Ballard/Andrew, and Read could be the backup forward and the backup forward ruck.
Yeah, the balance is off down back. It also means other players are taking slightly different roles. Powell doesn’t look the same (could be new fatherhood taking its toll, could be backline balance. He shanks a few, but also nails a few beautiful kicks. Just need him to hit those more often).

Unfortunately, Luko doesn’t get enough ball to be an actual halfback distributor.

Drop Day. Move him forward. Bring in Jeffrey to try that role instead. Mac/Luko/Walter all chop out in ruck, which is dicey but doable.

Otherwise, Luko has to start on the bench and be a legitimate swingman, including stints at HB, wing and forward. Which sucks, but he just covers when others rest basically. We just can’t keep running 4 talls down back.

Big Red Machine don't know if you caught Dimma's press conference but he said right at the end that he's going to have a Dairy Milk. You know what that means after a win...

Kurt Angle Wrestling GIF by WWE
1000001863.jpg

Can't say I saw the presser but well on top of the celebrations don't you worry 😍

Luko is better than Day up front but bad as he is Day gives Witter the chop out
Luko in the ruck is like looking at a guy trying to swim in the desert
I’d love to see JJ in down back
It’s obviously the plan given he’s playing halfback in the VFL
Release Luko back forward
We can’t sniff at 30-40 goals a year
Maybe it’s time to teach Ben King how to ruck too?
Walker at Adelaide and Hawkins at Geelong give their teams a lot of flexibility
And when Bens going through one of those can’t get hands on ball patches ,a run in the ruck might be just what he needs
I just can’t see how we can fit Moyle into the team unless we’re resting Witts

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why doesn't tom berry want to shoot? It's cost us a couple of times
1. Looking for a teammate in better position.

2. Not confident in his ability to score.

3. Not experienced enough (33 games).
Luko is better than Day up front but bad as he is Day gives Witter the chop out
Luko in the ruck is like looking at a guy trying to swim in the desert
I’d love to see JJ in down back
It’s obviously the plan given he’s playing halfback in the VFL
Release Luko back forward
We can’t sniff at 30-40 goals a year
Maybe it’s time to teach Ben King how to ruck too?
Walker at Adelaide and Hawkins at Geelong give their teams a lot of flexibility
And when Bens going through one of those can’t get hands on ball patches ,a run in the ruck might be just what he needs
I just can’t see how we can fit Moyle into the team unless we’re resting Witts

At the moment, I can't see the club risking King in the ruck with his recent knee issues. Maybe down the track like Max who does ruck occasionally forward.

BTW, King is on track to score 62 goals (including no goals in one wet game). No bad despite all his shortcomings and coming back from knee injury. It will be success if he can play out the whole season.

Last edited:
Did people notice Adrew playing on Darling? I have to re-watch the game to see for how long Mac played on him but with his inspector gadget arms and closing speed he seems did a good job.

Wonder if Sam Day might have turned into a better player if he didn't have to weather 10+ years of subpar delivery into the forward line. Wouldn't be the only player we didn't develop properly, but he didn't look completely out of place yesterday when there was a better structure around forward 50 entries.

Sam never looks out of place
In fact that’s been his and our problem
Always serviceable enough when he plays with a KPF label earns him contract renewals
Think of all the players over the years who’ve contributed so much more but for various reasons are no longer on a playing list

If we could get a Rioli/Cumming distributor would love to get Powell released up on to a wing. Could see him using that combination of run / kick and marking to to take his game to another level setting up and kicking goals

A WIN is a WIN as they in the classics.
Will admit was very frustrated with some of our play in the 2nd quarter.
Seem that we were trying to keep the Eagles in the game and making a very good fist of it.
In the end we take the four pts and move on to the Lions.
Still some very good positives.
The young blokes all continue to show some traits ,Rogers especially was oustanding .
Saw a fair bit of Jake playing junior football always showed great talent.
Midfield after as slow start were outstanding ,big Wittsy I will say played probably his best
AFL game ever.
Biggest concern I have like alot of others here is we do not possess a quick small defender which against the good
sides may well prove very costly ,starting this week against Charlie cameron.
Looking through the list the cupboard is bare. On Sunday follwing played times on WC smalls.
Atkins No defence ?
Ballard Too slow ?
Powell Too risky ?better off up field.
Looking in different direction !
Holman ? tough and determined but not quick and average disposal.
Swallow ? three years ago Yes now doubtful
Jeffrey ? best reserves player but too tall
Ainsworth ? Maybe worth a try.
Lemmens ? out suspended still probably our best bet.
Will be interested how Dimma approaches this position.
Have a good week all Suns supporters.

That game couldn’t have gone any better if you ask me. The Eagles pushed the Suns for at least a half and gave Dimma a chance to put things right at halftime then they wilted as young teams tend to and the Suns finished up with a fairly comfortable win. They didn’t suffer a major injury or get pummelled physically slowing their roll before a rivalry game net week. I wanted to have a look at where the goals came from, from both sides so that we can see what’s working and what isn’t.....
The other takeaway I had was that the Suns were able to create scores from lots of different scenarios. Rogers set up a couple of goals out of clearance, Humphrey crumbed a marking contest for a snap and Rowell kicked one directly from a forward stoppage. That variety is very encouraging, even if it did come against an under-strength defence. The loss of Rosas didn’t appear to cost us as Berry and Holman remain strong in their pressuring roles and Rogers and Humphrey looked very promising. Rogers got more of a chance to show what he can do and while he had a good game he very nearly had a great one. I still don’t really know why Day got a start and I would be very concerned if he remains in the 23 for the Lions game, either stick another small forward in there to up the pressure factor or get games into Read please.......

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/04/29/afl-suns-v-eagles-r7-where-did-the-goals-come-from/

Powell was very good early in the season, no doubt Flanders has taken some of his ball but he is too good not to adjust, give him time it will come.

Will Graham is fast becoming my fav player, does all the team things and is a tank that’s going to morph from a Sherman to an Abrams

Gun. Showed class and a cool head well beyond his years with his delivery. Going to be a good one.

Get him and Luko with ball in hand across half-forward and Ben will have no hesitation leading for everything with the amount of ball aimed at his chest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back