Review Round 5 - Hawthorn @ PF Stadium - 13th April 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Luko will have to adjust to being a team player, play wherever the team needs him. Not everyone has the ability to play well at both ends of the ground.
Didn't see anything to suggest Luko was unhappy - played well and generates a lot with that kick out of defence and on the wing - OR did I miss something?

He just is! Has the same build, runs like him, even has the same bloody kicking action 😂
Same action but Spitta used to miss a hell of a lot of targets in his younger years. Will’s accuracy is quite good already. His hands are also so clean in close. Easy to see why he’s already trusted with time in the middle.

My man-love for Clohesy is true. Kid reminds me of the classic old-school winger like a Phil Walsh. Runs hard both ways, smart, tough, kicks well and kicks goals.

I know it was only Hawthorn who are a very ordinary side but they can be dangerous when on-song (really challenged Collingwood last week). The way we thoroughly dominated them though was super impressive. That’s the most cohesive display I can recall. Dimma said we still need more synergy and it appears it’s coming quickly. Not often I walk away from a Suns game and think we have a team that could play finals this year. Feeling quietly confident today.

Good game to choose to go for me.

After watching re-play, we played better than I thought watching live.

Great to see smart-ass coach Mitchell under pump with his re-build. He had no answers.

That was similar game experience and average age for both teams. World of difference in top talent.

Good performance across the line-up.

Luko played well and improved his defence. One can see how good he is with his kicks and reading the game from defence.

Flanders did make some mistakes which cost us, but he did play well otherwise too.

We make it difficult for oppositions to move the ball. Our pressure forwards deserve a lot of credit in our plan.

People saying that Rosas is a big loss only shows how much he improved.

Never getting tired watching our midfield dominating. All player there were good. Nice synergy building there. From the stands, I really appreciated Miller and Rowell. Their work rate was fantastic.

On re-play Graham was unbelievable in his just second game.

I have to say again our 4 draftees are great and promise exciting future. And we have not seen Rogers yet.

Closehy’s 2nd goal was electric.

Walter’s pressure and speed is a feature.

Good to see King getting confidence back and working hard.

Good to see our players giving it to Chol, Ginnivan.

Great moments for Swallow.

Can we snatch a game on the road?

Hate to say I told you so but Will will be the best of the bunch once he settles.
I think it's fair to say Will is a better player than most of us thought he was. Genuinely playing like a top 10 pick and he's only played two games! 14 tackles in a game is an unbelievable effort and you could just see how beneficial his pressure was for our midfield throughout the game. I really like that he doesn't give up after one effort too.

These academy kids are special and for different reasons when compared to other guns we've had come through in the past. They're not burdened by the club failures of yesteryear and have instead been high achievers their whole lives. They are used to winning and here they are at the top level continuing on their winning ways. Keep in mind, all four played a big part in the Allies' undefeated run to the national championship last year (Clohesy also had a good run at Werribee last year) and don't seem intimidated at all by the prospect of playing Vic teams or even having to travel interstate. They are so prepared for this because they were already doing a lot of it last year and were often coming out victorious once the final siren sounded. Very different feeling with this crop.

After years of opposition teams breaking tackles and getting the ball free at will, it is such a breath of fresh air watching Will absolutely nail some of the bigger midfielders going around.

Awesome technique in addition to his ferociousness and strength. Wraps around them, pins the free arm and the ball, but doesn’t get carried away and give away a free kick. Great coaching in his youth.

Already adds an extra element to our midfield just 2 games into his career.

I always felt Will would be one of the first we would debut (even without Walter and Rogers being injured). He just looked good in the pre-season. Has a good size and speed already. And Harwick seemed to like him.

I just thought it would be halfback (where Sexton and now Flanders roam). But he’s gone straight into the middle, which is surprising but has worked well.

I always felt Will would be one of the first we would debut (even without Walter and Rogers being injured). He just looked good in the pre-season. Has a good size and speed already. And Harwick seemed to like him.

I just thought it would be halfback (where Sexton and now Flanders roam). But he’s gone straight into the middle, which is surprising but has worked well.
Unlike most of our previous young draftees over the years, Will doesn’t get knocked off the ball by the mature opposition bodies. He’s already kept us in numerous contests that in years past we would’ve lost out.

Flanders to half back - what a masterstroke that is! I didn't see that coming at all but he is taking to that position like a duck to water.

And we always said we wanted another powell that we could play on the wing, well now we've got one in Clohesy, his kicking, size and work ethic are a deadly mix

Considering we weighed up Hump and Ginbey last year it’s good to get both in the form of Graham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be exciting when it fully clicks and the game plan matches skill, whether that is fully this year or next year we can take it to anyone.

Will be interesting to see if we can keep up the effor for a whole season, if we can I see us pushing for the 8 and having a big run next year.

it's genuinely impressive just how talented rowell and anderson are, they're going to build into some immensely damaging midfielders over the next few years. nothing quite as good as seeing hawthorn lose a close game, but seeing them get demolished everywhere on the ground was great. it's clear that dimma's game plan is working for the players are loving it. i'm extremely jealous of the role that charlie ballard plays for your defense, he's such a smart footballer.

very keen to see how the sun's year pans out, i'm worried about our game against your mob, it'll be a doozy

Devastating Harley Reid has stolen Will Graham's nomination

Not often I walk away from a Suns game and think we have a team that could play finals this year. Feeling quietly confident today.
After watching the game live and on replay you could say I am somewhat excited about the game plan and the young talent Dimma has been able to mould into the team.
It's also makes a big difference when the players know the Coach is not acting out of his own insecurities.
Quick social experiment. Like this post if you'd consider yourself a Dimma Disciple at this stage in the season. Very interested to see how many believers we have out there after five games.

I think Uhwland will end up being the player we hoped Buddarick would be
He is an absolute dog in the best way. Competitive as all hell and hates being beaten. Love Bodhis ability to give repeat efforts. Helps he can kick the cover off the ball as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back