Review Round 4 - Western Sydney @ Mt. Barker - 7th April 2024 - 12:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to say it was pretty awful to watch Ballard on Toby Greene on First Crack. Who came up with that idea, haha?
Just wrote on the hawks game thread about ballard, with mac playing on a tall there was no match up for him. Concerning for him going forward, not so much if there's a team with a tall forward line but a lot of teams are going smaller now.

Just wrote on the hawks game thread about ballard, with mac playing on a tall there was no match up for him. Concerning for him going forward, not so much if there's a team with a tall forward line but a lot of teams are going smaller now.
And we were particularly tall down back with Collins, Mac, Ballard and Luko.

Really not needed for any team to have 4 tall defenders.

So many haters about jack lukosius. In my opinion he had a good game his disposal was first class which we need.
Down fall basic mistakes in defence half fix that and we will be hard to beat

I have to say it was pretty awful to watch Ballard on Toby Greene on First Crack. Who came up with that idea, haha?

Which team has a good matchup for Toby?
Suggest none. Who have we got? The practice match was Uwland (I think) and that was a bath. Just pick one and live with it and hope he has an off day.

To beat GWS we have to at least break even with their midfield and also outplay the other forwards like Brown (3 goals), Riccardi (2 goals) and Hogan (4 goals). That is doable and we didn't do it.

Turnovers and soft free kicks did not help our defense, and a lot of that is in our control. And we had 37 tackles for the day. You won't beat a good team with only 37 tackles.

Suggest none. Who have we got? The practice match was Uwland (I think) and that was a bath. Just pick one and live with it and hope he has an off day.

To beat GWS we have to at least break even with their midfield and also outplay the other forwards like Brown (3 goals), Riccardi (2 goals) and Hogan (4 goals). That is doable and we didn't do it.

Turnovers and soft free kicks did not help our defense, and a lot of that is in our control. And we had 37 tackles for the day. You won't beat a good team with only 37 tackles.
Good point about the tackles. We hardly tackled as well … having a bye so early and then a country ground made it feel like a real practice match.
Like the look of what your doing this year and hope we see a finals game

Turnovers and soft free kicks did not help our defence, and a lot of that is in our control. And we had 37 tackles for the day. You won't beat a good team with only 37 tackles.
I think King's analysis on First Crack was fair. Ballard for some reason was giving 10m to Toby and was burned every time. That last globetrotter goal was not a good view from Ballard point of view. He also said we need to discover a type of defender to go with him. Easier said than done. Uwland, Powell would be my choice but yes, it could be the same outcome.

GWS were exceptionally accurate from set shot for 3 quarters.

Our first 3 quarters were excellent minus mistakes, turnovers leading to most of GWS goals. Most frustrating was that they were not really forced mistakes. Our midfield was great for these 3 quarters. Witts dominating Briggs was unbelievable as Briggs bullied him last year. Not sure what happened in last quarter. I have to re-watch it. Kingsley talked about changes they made before last quarter that worked. Not sure what it was. Were we too tall and with a lot of kids we got tired or GWS quality, experience, adjustments just prevailed? Did GWS elevate pressure and we could not go with them?

This game gave me a lot of belief for this year and beyond. The way we played for 3 quarters, how we moved the ball was exciting. We disrupted orange tsunami pretty well.

It will be interesting to see what line-up will Dimma settle on eventually. He seems to love Luko in defence to start our moves. Flanders will stay as HB general for now. Still one too many talls? Is there a role for Jeffrey?

Kids were great in first games. Rogers still to come. That's some serious talent. Cameron should get a credit for getting Clohesy as a rookie :) I can't believe no team drafted him before us.

Last edited:
As much as the team like to say our best can match it with anyone, I don’t think deep down they have the absolute confidence to truly believe that yet. Hence when the pressure goes up, we make a critical skill or decision making error. Not surprising after 14 years of mediocrity. GWS, Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong have that belief. We need to start beating the better teams and string wins together to build momentum.

So many haters about jack lukosius. In my opinion he had a good game his disposal was first class which we need.
Agree with this. Jack has one fault and kicking isn't it. He needs to go harder in the competition but definitely had a better game than some think. That being said I'd prefer him on the ing to Fiorini and moving into the forward line kicking long goals. Still some finetuning but we've almost removed the dead wood. A couple of pieces still floating in there though and it shows when they get pantsted as they did in the last quarter.

Kind of remarkable that not one of the other 3 umpires saw an elite strong nasty athlete in Toby Greene ram another players head into the ground with force but plenty of eyes to see a Giants defender fall over after running into Mally at fullforward resulting in a free kick reversal on the wing and goal to GWS
Oh hang on
Its not remarkable at all
It feels like the top teams always get the rub of the green when it comes to free kicks, luckily our time is coming, and we’ll get to see the benefit of this soon enough

Whether or not Jack is happier in defence, I bet Hardwick is pretty happy with the idea the ball was used by him 22 times. And that he is also a risk of sneaking far enough forward to kick a goal or two makes him pretty useful to a coach.

A lot of talk on here last year about letting players play to their strengths – he’s never going to be a hard nut, but geez he uses the ball well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im on the fence with Luko down back. Good disposal and ball use vs lack of intent/hardness down there is a fine balance.. With him and Mac back there, it left Powell not getting the ball as much? 13 disposals and I'm sure he took a couple of kick ins. I didn't really notice him. Maybe he just had a quiet game.

I think Powell, Mac and Flanders have the ability to take all the aggressive kicks we need from our backline.

Perhaps get Luko back up forward and play Read as 2nd ruck and let him roam around the ground a bit more and get some easier possessions.

Clohseys game has to be one of the best debut games we have had from a sun? 92% time on ground seems really high for a first game on the wing?

Whether or not Jack is happier in defence, I bet Hardwick is pretty happy with the idea the ball was used by him 22 times. And that he is also a risk of sneaking far enough forward to kick a goal or two makes him pretty useful to a coach.

A lot of talk on here last year about letting players play to their strengths – he’s never going to be a hard nut, but geez he uses the ball well.
I agree with the letting players play to their strengths.

He is a very good kick and pretty good read of play; he is not good in the contest or overly fast. If he is not forward, ideally you want him to get the ball in the middle of the field. He’s basically a less mobile “The Lizard” Blakey, so he won’t come streaming off half-back. Is that what we want?

Im on the fence with Luko down back. Good disposal and ball use vs lack of intent/hardness down there is a fine balance.. With him and Mac back there, it left Powell not getting the ball as much? 13 disposals and I'm sure he took a couple of kick ins. I didn't really notice him. Maybe he just had a quiet game.

I think Powell, Mac and Flanders have the ability to take all the aggressive kicks we need from our backline.

Perhaps get Luko back up forward and play Read as 2nd ruck and let him roam around the ground a bit more and get some easier possessions.

Clohseys game has to be one of the best debut games we have had from a sun? 92% time on ground seems really high for a first game on the wing?
Clohesy was great. 92% is a lot better than the 40-50% of Ace and Cheat Code, that’s for sure. And he used his time well, spread pretty evenly across all quarters. Must be quite fit, which is good.

I agree with Powell and Mac might be enough on the disposal front, especially with Flanders being a pretty safe kicker.

Graham also attended a lot more centre bounces than I thought. He basically too Flanders’ spot there, which was surprising.

As usual, it was our forward fifties that let us down, though they were better this week. Something to work with, and another reason I prefer Luko up the ground.

Powell certainly had a quiet game but probably more to do with the opposition putting work into him after his fine start to the season. If luko gets in some good form then they probably target him and Powell can get off the chain, another reason luko can be an asset down there not sure Budarick or sexton will draw that kind of attention.

My two cents, that was a good (but not great) performance against one of the top teams. Really pushed them hard, and if not for some bad errors and them kicking very straight it could have been a win.

Lots of changes but all seemed to work. Graham was better than I expected. Loved Andrew's game too, great to see the mongrel even if it cost a goal. He's going to be something with another 5-10kg of muscle.

Oh and please Sam Collins, always take the simple kick, you are not Luko.

Big call by the Match committee but in my eyes the right one.
Hardwick looking at the medium to long term plan.
Downside will be some big losses ( probably starting this weekend) and no chance of finals this year.
What I will be hoping for this weekend !
Be competitive for most of the game ( under 5 goals will be reasonable result)
Kick more than 10 goals against probably best defence in the game.
Ben King can break even with Sam Taylor ,been slaughtered last two times.
Some of the younger players give us something to get excited about.
Have a nice weekend all Suns supporters.
Achieved most of what I hoped for ,generally pleased with our overall performance.
Surprisingly thrilled with Mac, Clohesy and Graham.
Found it hard to rate Lukosius and King there good is very good there bad is bloody awful need to close that
gap to be considered top class footballers.
One obvious point watching on TV was that it was very much a low contact game which probably helped
our very young side.
Will be more a challenge for this young group when the game is alot more physical.
All in all happy with our performance lots of good points.

I think if everyone can learn to play their role for the benefit of the team regardless of where they personally prefer to play we will become a powerhouse. Look at the role players in Dimmas premiership teams in 2017, 2018 and 2020.

For the first time in forever I truly believe we are heading in the right direction and will achieve sustained success as a club. Exciting times ahead.

Achieved most of what I hoped for ,generally pleased with our overall performance.
Surprisingly thrilled with Mac, Clohesy and Graham.
Found it hard to rate Lukosius and King there good is very good there bad is bloody awful need to close that
gap to be considered top class footballers.
One obvious point watching on TV was that it was very much a low contact game which probably helped
our very young side.
Will be more a challenge for this young group when the game is alot more physical.
All in all happy with our performance lots of good points.
I agree with your thoughts but I must say it was the physicality of Walter, Graham and Clohesy that had me as excited as their football abilities. Won’t be surprising to see them tire late in games and towards the end of the season though.

I thought there was a difference in the size of the team which was beneficial. My concern has always been the midfield is too short, so moving Flanders back and having Graham and Closehy come in, gave some much needed strength and size in the middle. The good thing is, those guys are all good kicks as well. I dunno if touk would be better moving to the wing with his endurance base, he seems to have been out of form for a while now playing in the guts.

It's interesting of all the academy kids, I thought Rogers would be the first to debut, they all have bodies of 23 year olds though, so will all be very strong after a couple of years in the gym.

I actually thought read was good considering he is an 18 year old ruck, he isn't too slow and his little chip kick to ainsworth shows how clever he is.

Luko going back is an odd move after he finally came good forward last year. Maybe Hardwick is concerned about the contested marking/ aggression of the forward combo of him and king and wants better kicks behind the ball. I don't think it will work, coz luko doesn't want it to work, he was happy forward, but some of his efforts in defence were pretty soft I thought. You'd hope he, king and Walter can work, but traditionally Hardwick and his game style suits a smaller forward like with multiple pressure players.

Some in hear being harsh on touk, have seen some rolling AA teams with him in it. Definitely not back to 2022 form but that was a very high bar.
Touk's not going to stand out like 2022 anymore because the rest of the team has improved. He was a one man band sometimes then. Just cause he's not the Suns best player every week doesn't mean he's not playing well.

I thought there was a difference in the size of the team which was beneficial. My concern has always been the midfield is too short, so moving Flanders back and having Graham and Closehy come in, gave some much needed strength and size in the middle. The good thing is, those guys are all good kicks as well. I dunno if touk would be better moving to the wing with his endurance base, he seems to have been out of form for a while now playing in the guts.

It's interesting of all the academy kids, I thought Rogers would be the first to debut, they all have bodies of 23 year olds though, so will all be very strong after a couple of years in the gym.

I actually thought read was good considering he is an 18 year old ruck, he isn't too slow and his little chip kick to ainsworth shows how clever he is.

Luko going back is an odd move after he finally came good forward last year. Maybe Hardwick is concerned about the contested marking/ aggression of the forward combo of him and king and wants better kicks behind the ball. I don't think it will work, coz luko doesn't want it to work, he was happy forward, but some of his efforts in defence were pretty soft I thought. You'd hope he, king and Walter can work, but traditionally Hardwick and his game style suits a smaller forward like with multiple pressure players.
Good takes. Luko will get better defensively, hopefully can start going for marks where he doesnt have a defender bodying him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back