Review Round 5 - Hawthorn @ PF Stadium - 13th April 2024 - 7:30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's a combination of things.

1. Number 1 for me is mental side of the game. Dimma instils belief, confidence.

2. New coach with fresh eyes, fresh approach, new plan backed up by previous success.

3. One more pre-season under belt. It was funny to hear commentators saying that Hawks players were like kids against adults (while we had the same age profile). Anderson and Rowell are in 5th year. They look ready similar to Flanders, King, Luko, Ballard, Powell, Ainsworth. Berry, Rosas stepped up in pressure roles. Andrew is also great. Collins is back to his best.

4. Great draftees who seem ready to contribute from the first game. Clohesy and Graham being between best players is unbelievable. Walter with his size, speed, pressure is like a wrecking ball. It will probably not last the whole season but what great additions and promise for future.

Last edited:
Quick social experiment. Like this post if you'd consider yourself a Dimma Disciple at this stage in the season. Very interested to see how many believers we have out there after five games.
Have not heard from any one of you….
Apologising to myself or Iva Bigun about all the personal attacks on us for saying Dew wasn’t upto it.

Tbh I’m fine with it.
The team is purring at the moment…
That’s all we ever wanted.
They’ll have a rough game every now and then but you can see what there trying to achieve for once!!

Apologising to myself or Iva Bigun about all the personal attacks on us for saying Dew wasn’t upto it.

Tbh I’m fine with it.
They’ll have a rough game every now and then but you can see what there trying to achieve for once!!

I just want to add myself in to this. I was attacked plenty once I decided that Dew had to go. I think I then disappeared from the board for quite a while and Dew remained the coach.

When I see Hardwick in person at the games I almost feel like pinching myself, it’s hard to believe we have this man coaching us.

You're a bit of a goose, do you want a high five or a hug? Or are you going to start apologising for any times you've been wrong? With Dew we were always going to give him an extended run and if/when that failed it HAD to be for a highly credentialed coach – one of which became available in 2022 and the other mid 2023. Not a single other coach fit the bill. The only thing up for debate was whether or not we should have jumped at Clarkson in 2022. It's a decision that may or may not have sped things up by a year, but it looks (early) like it may have been fortuitous (and to your distaste) to wait 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
You're a bit of a goose, do you want a high five or a hug? Or are you going to start apologising for any times you've been wrong? With Dew we were always going to give him an extended run and if/when that failed it HAD to be for a highly credentialed coach – one of which became available in 2022 and the other mid 2023. Not a single other coach fit the bill. The only thing up for debate was whether or not we should have jumped at Clarkson in 2022. It's a decision that may or may not have sped things up by a year, but it looks (early) like it may have been fortuitous (and to your distaste) to wait 🤷‍♂️
Happy we ended up with Hardwick over the little angry one 😊

Tbh I’m fine with it.

He just seemed like such a nice guy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Quick social experiment. Like this post if you'd consider yourself a Dimma Disciple at this stage in the season. Very interested to see how many believers we have out there after five games.
Close to 30 likes on the social experiment post in less than 24 hours. I think it's fair to say Suns supporters on this board are overwhelmingly buying what Dimma is selling at the moment. Thanks to all who participated in the survey :thumbsu:

I just want to add myself in to this. I was attacked plenty once I decided that Dew had to go. I think I then disappeared from the board for quite a while and Dew remained the coach.

When I see Hardwick in person at the games I almost feel like pinching myself, it’s hard to believe we have this man coaching us.
I think we had our own little Club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One more pre-season under belt. It was funny to hear commentators saying that Hawks players were like kids against adults (while we had the same age profile). Anderson and Rowell are in 5th year. They look ready similar to Flanders, King, Luko, Ballard, Powell, Ainsworth. Berry, Rosas stepped up in pressure roles. Andrew is also great. Collins is back to his best.

Can't underestimate the importance of having your best players being in their prime and fit and ready to go.

Two years ago it was Touk then daylight, and our best players were too young or too injured (Rowell).

Now the young players in the team are role players, don't have to carry the load.

Can't underestimate the importance of having your best players being in their prime and fit and ready to go.

Two years ago it was Touk then daylight, and our best players were too young or too injured (Rowell).

Now the young players in the team are role players, don't have to carry the load.
Exactly. A lot of development of top talent went on in the last 5 years. That core talent now looks ready at least body wise.

Let's be honest. Dimma inherited a talented list with a good age profile ready to climb the ladder and challenge for finals. Dew could not take a next step and rightly so was fired. IMO, that list should have made finals in 2023. We probably wasted 1 year in hindsight.

On top of it, as a welcome gift, Dimma got to work with unbelievable 5 draftees who all look like great additions and regular best 22 in near future.

Dimma inherited a talented list with a good age profile ready to climb the ladder and challenge for finals. Dew could not take a next step and rightly so was fired. IMO, that list should have made finals in 2023. We probably wasted 1 year in hindsight.

On top of it, as a welcome gift, Dimma got to work with unbelievable 5 draftees who all look like great additions and regular best 22 in near future.
Yeah but it's exactly why he took the job
He knew what we had and what he wanted
He wasnt coming for a suntan and romantic walks on the beach
If Dew was still coaching we'd be playing Budarick Long Ace DMac Ellis Atkins and Tsitas and "developing" the high end talent in the VFL- oh and an occasional cameo from Crab and Sam Day

Yeah but it's exactly why he took the job
He knew what we had and what he wanted
He wasnt coming for a suntan and romantic walks on the beach
If Dew was still coaching we'd be playing Budarick Long Ace DMac Ellis Atkins and Tsitas and "developing" the high end talent in the VFL- oh and an occasional cameo from Crab and Sam Day

What’s the go with Crab? Have we given up completely?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All of a sudden to we have pretty damn good midfield depth. Rowell, Anderson, Touk, Humpher, W.Graham with cameos from Flanders, Spitta and eventually Rogers is bloody strong.
Are we a tall mid short? Someone 194-195cm?
Not sure who this person would replace though. Or does 191cm nose go up the Cripps etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back